Which one to get??? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 01:12 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MeOnline is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi all,
I’m glad to have found this forum!
This is the first time I am purchasing a BMW and would like some feedback. The most I can afford at the moment is a 330i on a lease. I chose to stick with the 330i and not 330xi because I live in Seattle and other than a few days there is really no need for an AWD. Plus I hear that even the rear wheel drive is fine in snow an ice due to the balancing of the vehicle… plus I would save on gas during the 95% of the time I don’t need the AWD.

Here are the two setups I am looking at:
BTW: I really struggled to figure out what options are possible with what and what is excluded…hopefully I put these together correctly.

All data is from Edmunds.com.

2004 BMW 3 Series W/ Premium
330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)
Optional Equipment: $6,801.00
-Metallic Paint $434
-ZPP Premium Package $3,032
-ZSP Sport Package $1,200 $1,100
-ZCW Cold Weather Package $918
-522 Xenon Headlights $641
-261 Rear Side Airbag $385 $353
-508 Park Distance Control $323

Destination Charge $695
Total with Options $39,612

OR:

2004 BMW 3 Series W/ Performance
Optional Equipment: $8,547.00
-Metallic Paint $434
-ZHP Performance Package $3,582
-N6** Leather Upholstery $1,332.00
-403 Power Glass Moonroof $964
-ZCW Cold Weather Package $918
-261 Rear Side Airbag $385 $353

Destination Charge $695
Total with Options $41,711

As you can see with the options, I tried to get both the performance and the premium packages together by including the moon-roof and leather in the second package.

Color: I have heard that Jet Black or Sapphire Black are really hard to take care of… and that most of the time you will see spots and streaks on them. I think that the shape of the 330 looks best in Black so I would really like some feedback on this.

Also, what is the benefit of going with metallic vs just the Jet Black?

Any thoughts or opinions on the above options would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 05:24 PM
n00b

Phantasie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MeOnline@Aug 5 2004, 12:52 PM
Color: I have heard that Jet Black or Sapphire Black are really hard to take care of… and that most of the time you will see spots and streaks on them. I think that the shape of the 330 looks best in Black so I would really like some feedback on this.

Also, what is the benefit of going with metallic vs just the Jet Black?

Any thoughts or opinions on the above options would be appreciated.
My previous car was clearcoat metallic red. It was very easy to keep clean, and held a nice shine quite sometime after washing.

My current car is the Jet Black ZHP. As echoed by most people, when its *completely* clean, black looks great. Other times it looks average, and when its dirty - its really dirty

I would only reccomend a black car if a) You are fanatic about good looks AND you dont mind cleaning your car alot or b] You arent obsessive about dirt/paint chips, etc.

Scratches show up very clearly on black as well.

As for whether or not to get metallic, take a look at the two side by side (dealer will have cars), and decide. I did this, and found there wasent a noticable difference with the metallic. Plus the metallic didnt have a pure (Jet) black look - it had a more bluish/purpilish tinge to it.

Dont get me wrong, I love the Jet Black However if I were to do it over again, I would (more strongly) consider Imola Red. Its more unique, and looks really nice! Check it out too!

Hope this helps a little. Good luck!
#3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 07:04 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Phantasie,
Thanks for the feedback. I am a fanatic for about two months and then its wash the car once a month thing. I'll now look at other colors, too. I hear however that red is targeted by police most often!

There is nothing like experience talking so thanks again for the feedback!
#4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 09:24 AM
n00b

Phantasie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MeOnline@Aug 5 2004, 06:44 PM
I hear however that red is targeted by police most often!
I think this might be more myth than reality. ie, there are alot more tangible facts that will get me pulled over much quicker than driving a red car - speeding, dui, street racing, etc :P. Dont do those things, and I dont think you'll have any problems regardless of the car you drive.

I certainly wouldnt let that worry about colour effect my purchase.

Good luck!
#5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 12:10 PM
n00b

GRD-4-3L is an unknown quantity at this point
Also consider that black cars are the least visible at night (during driving and also when parked).

The study (I cannot remember who) shows that fluorescent yellow/green is the most visible in all conditions. Black, blue, and reds appear almost black at night.

I have Imola Red on order and it is a kick-ass colour. Since the order has been made, I have noticed a lot of red cars/trucks/mini-vans on the road including a Saturn (?!?).

Another study shows that high percentage of red cars are involved in collisions. This is not really conclusive study because there are many factors involved in collisions: age, experience, competence, location, type of vehicle, time of day, time of year, etc., etc.

At the end, you should choose the colour that best reflects your personality. If that is black, so be it!
#6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 02:40 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
OK folks,
Per all of your great feedback I narrowed it down to the following package, so far:

2004 BMW 3 Series W/ Performance

National Base Price $32,116.00
Regional Adjustment $353.00
Optional Equipment: $8,547.00
-Metallic Paint $434
-ZHP Performance Package $3,582
-N6** Leather Upholstery $1,332.00
-403 Power Glass Moonroof $964
-ZCW Cold Package $918
-261 Rear Side Airbag $353

Destination Charge $695
Total with Options $41,711

So it looks like I am going with the performance package! Seems like most of you find it more exciting to drive… B)

I really like the leather so that $1332 may be something I need to eat. We’ll see when I go in and check out both.

The reason for the four door is because of my two kids… I’ll let them in once in a while and don’t want to deal with moving seats around. Same reason I am sticking with the rear side airbag… God forbid something happens and I come out in better shape than them.

Color: Still a question! If I get black, it will be Sapphire Black as some of you and others have said it hides swirls and spots better than Jet Black. But I am still thinking of other colors… Orient Blue does seem to be a nice color, or colors as pointed out above!

So in the next couple of days I am going to go in pick a car with what I need in it and say $500 above invoice, minus the $2400 dealer cash, and see what they say! Hopefully I’ll be driving something home! I’m sure you all can imagine the excitement building up inside of me as this is the first “driving machine” I am getting!
#7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 05:34 PM
n00b

///M330 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ///M330
Glad to hear that you are going with the ZHP over the Premium Package! It truly give you a better experince with the car. Honestly I have my 330ci with ZHP and i would've taken it no other way. Are you going for manual or automatic transmission? About the color, I live in Miami, in this heat I went with White. Color Is all about prefrenece and what more convenient for you. Imola Red, or Mystic Blue, are awesome colors for a ZHP 330i, not to mention White

Formerly <u>The Beni</u>, but my brother took that name over so this one's mine.

-&quot;Life goes by so quickly at 145mph...&quot;-

&quot;But, you know what life really is? You're born, you suck your mother's tits. You get a little older, you suck your girlfriend's tits. You get married, you suck your wife's tits. That's what life is. Life sucks.&quot;
#8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 10:48 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I am going manual... thats the only way to appreciate it, I would belive. I could imagine in Florida that White feels cooler! Once I get to the dealership I'll take a look at all of them and see what works.

Thanks!
#9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 12:37 AM
n00b

moneymoy is an unknown quantity at this point
From a practical perspective though, be sure you have some idea of which options you deem to be must-haves versus nice-to-haves. The reason being that it may be impossible for your dealer to get you the properly outfitted vehicle anytime soon. So be prepared to face the possible decision of having to wait several months to get exactly the car you want, or taking a similar but not exactly outfitted car that the dealer has on-site or can have shipped from some other dealer in a few days. Or sometimes it's somewhere in-between; i.e. the closest thing to what you want is a car that's become available which is already in the process of being built, so you'll only have to wait weeks instead of months. Believe me, the wait can be brutal, so weigh your decisions accordingly! Good luck!
#10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 04:18 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
moneymoy,
I totally agree with what you say. I am at this point (actually already have) deciding on which options I would like to have in the ideal. If I get lucky then they will have that car there or on the way... if not, I am prepared to make compromises. I will be taking a list of all options possible and their prices to make sure I don't get over charged on any of them.

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)