off center steering wheel - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 07:12 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wizlee is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi,

I bought my 325i a year ago. Soon after, I figured out steering wheel is off center to the right. So I took it to the dealer shop, but it is to the left this time. Yeah, you might think i'm too picky. But every single thing bugs me a lot.

My question is,
Is adjustment done by computer or by technician's "feeling"?
I'm afraid it would be gone to the right again if I take this to the dealer.

I'd appreciate it if you guys give me any idea, tips, and advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 06:38 PM
2nd Gear Member

TECH is an unknown quantity at this point
The steering alignment is done by a technician manually adjusting the tie rods and eccentrics, and using the computer to tell him where to go with the angles, and amounts of adjusting.
Getting the wheel perfectly straight is hard sometimes. Our machine sometime likes to cock the steering wheel a good bit to the left.
Are you sure you're not having to turn the wheel to keep the car going straight? That will make it seem off center. If you let go of the wheel, and it's still cocked a good bit while driving straight, then it will need adjusting again. Let them know that you want the wheel super straight, and they'll likely be more attentive.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 08:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Fangs will become famous soon enough Fangs will become famous soon enough
I had my alignment done (by sears - I know, I know... ), and it still pulls a little right, and the steering wheel is probably 4-5 degrees of right tilt.

However, with the steering wheel perfectly straight the car goes straight.

Can this be fixed? (Is it just the steering wheel off center?)
Am I wearing my tires unevenly?

Tech ROCKS. Thanks dude. It's really nice to have an expert available and eager to help!

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>I don't drive fast,</span> <span style='color:red'>I FLY LOW</span></span>
'99 323i
'02 540i
#4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 07:54 PM
2nd Gear Member

TECH is an unknown quantity at this point
If the alignment is good, and you still have a pull, it's probably a tire pull. It will pull to the side with the bad tire. You can rotate the side that it is pulling to front to back, and see if it helps.
Note that some cars have bigger rear tires than front... :P

A tire low on air pressure will pull as well.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 08:06 PM
n00b

m3inrearviewmirrorhaha is an unknown quantity at this point
try and find any place that has the new hunter laser aligner it has puter programs for all makes regardless those are the best i used them in tech school got the volva in perfect with it!!!
#6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 08:18 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to woobiee
i doubt this is your problem, but the steering wheel may be off. when i installed my new OEM steering wheel, i found there was a marker inside that tells you the steering wheel is aligned to the steering column.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 12:10 PM
n00b

wizlee is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Smile

I guess my 325i doesn't have 4 wheel alignment problem. Just the steering wheel is off center, I think.

But wheel alignment costs me around $230, and steering wheel $130. They told me wheel alighment has warranty under 2,000 miles. (I drove 8,100 miles, and 1year) What about just pulling steering and put it back? Warranty doesn't cover it?

What is the best idea? Let them take care of it? or take it to other professional shop? or have to learn how to control my mind with that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)