Nose Mask - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 12:20 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dubaty is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
We recently bought a 2002 325ci convertible and are now buying accessories as if it were a child. We were going to buy a nose mask to protect the front finish from thrown debris, etc. Someone told us that using one of those would result in a different appearance of the finish under the mask compared to the finish that is not covered. Does anyone have any experience with this? Are nose masks to be avoided? What about the clear plastic protective film option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 10:36 AM
n00b

HawFlake is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you from Europe? Anyway, it's usually called a bra in the US. That someone is right, when you put a bra on your car, a lot of dirt and debris tend to get caught underneath it and as you drive, the bra flops around and all the junk just grinds the paint and your car's finish. Only use it when you go on a long road trip or something. It's good but just don't leave it on all the time, unless you are willing to take it off and clean it very frequently.

PS The clear plastic film is more expensive because it's custom made-to-order, but I have don't know if it affects the paint at all.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 10:01 PM
Gear Member

BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by HawFlake@May 17 2005, 07:36 AM
Are you from Europe? Anyway, it's usually called a bra in the US. That someone is right, when you put a bra on your car, a lot of dirt and debris tend to get caught underneath it and as you drive, the bra flops around and all the junk just grinds the paint and your car's finish. Only use it when you go on a long road trip or something. It's good but just don't leave it on all the time, unless you are willing to take it off and clean it very frequently.

PS The clear plastic film is more expensive because it's custom made-to-order, but I have don't know if it affects the paint at all.
[snapback]345178[/snapback]
Agreed. My dad used to have these on all of his cars a long time ago. When I asked why he retired them, he told me that if you leave it on too long, apparently, the uncovered parts of the car will have a different color (due to sun, wear and tear, whatever). Also, while driving, the bra will vibrate/flap/whatever against the car and screw up the paint. I'd suggest keeping it waxed and buying a car cover.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:50 AM
n00b

dubaty is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by BeachBunny+May 17 2005, 08:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BeachBunny @ May 17 2005, 08:01 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-HawFlake@May 17 2005, 07:36 AM

[snapback]345178[/snapback]
Agreed. My dad used to have these on all of his cars a long time ago. When I asked why he retired them, he told me that if you leave it on too long, apparently, the uncovered parts of the car will have a different color (due to sun, wear and tear, whatever). Also, while driving, the bra will vibrate/flap/whatever against the car and screw up the paint. I'd suggest keeping it waxed and buying a car cover.
[snapback]345422[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
Thanks for the replies. BTW, I'm not from Europe, but the BMW catelogue lists it as a nose mask, so I figured everyone else would have seen it that way also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)