Noises - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 01:31 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DexBeemer is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I hear two noises and wondering if anyone has the same and if it is normal.

The first one is when the air conditioner is on I hear a low pitch noise coming out of the vents?

The second noise is when I am slowing down to a stop the car makes a noise like it is on rough pavement both when I use the brake to slow down and when I don't use the brakes.

It doesn't fell like it would be the rotors or brakes and doesn't shake or shimmy, but it kinda sounds like a solid sound like the car is under control????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 11:20 AM
1st Gear Member

bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
well the first noise is kinda hard to tell. what kind of noise is the blower noise. is it like a squeek or a humm or is it like a whistle?

the second noise. it could be your tires. what kind are they and how old are they. has the car ever had any alighnment issues? or i could be a possibility that some thing could be rubbing on the rotors?
#3 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 02:27 PM
2nd Gear Member

bad man working is an unknown quantity at this point
Get the brake pads check soon sounds like they're starting to rub on the discs. As to the AC noise could be anything, but BMW have had problems with explanation valves
#4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 06:16 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
[It is like a squeaking noise. I think only when the AC is on.

Is it hard to change the brake pads myself. And what type of brake pads does anyone suggest?
#5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

the squeek noise is probally your blower motor.
iono if changing brake pads would fix your other noise though. you said that even when you don't use the brakes you can hear the noise. and the only reason your brake pads would be rubbing on the rotors when your not using the brakes would be if you had a brake caliper that is stuck. which you would most likely hear something all the time if that were the case. how loud is the rough pavement noise? can you hear it with the windows up and the radio on. or is it a kinda noise you can only hear with the windows down and no radio.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 07:34 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like a tire noise to me. Feel the tire tread with your hand and see if the tread feels smooth or choppy. Most likely the tires are choppy and causing the noise. Is the brake lining lamp on? If so then obviously get the brakes checked. If not then it doesnt mean the brakes cant be worn but its less likely.
DT

DT

#7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 09:47 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I can only hear the rough pavement noise with no radio and even if the windows are up. The tires are pretty new. Maybe it's just in my head.

Anything I can do with the blower moter?
#8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

hmmm it sounds more like a tire noise if the tread on the tires are made for all season sometimes those type of tires can make noise because they have to be able to grip in the snow so there for the tread is a little more aggresive as far as loose surfaces goes and can casue the noise.

for the blower motor you could take it out and try putting a new one in yourself, however unless you are pretty mechanically inclined i wouldn't recomend it. although the e46's have an easier access for the blower motor compared to most other BMW's they still aren't all that easy. it might be better off to take the car to a shop preferably a dealership but thats your desicion. so that way whom ever you take it to can replace the blower motor or even figure out for sure that it is in fact the blower motor making the noise.
#9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Neutral Member

clarkinc is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by DexBeemer@Apr 10 2005, 07:47 PM
I can only hear the rough pavement noise with no radio and even if the windows are up. The tires are pretty new. Maybe it's just in my head.

Anything I can do with the blower moter?
[snapback]329721[/snapback]
It really doesnt take long to chop tires when when there is a problem with suspension, my guess is about 200 miles or so. DT said check the smoothness of the tires especially on the far inside where you can hardly see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)