BMW Werkz banner

Noise From Front Of Engine At Startup!

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Dirty_Tool 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 E6, 4 door with 98K. At start when the car is cold theirs a grinding/whining noise coming from the front of the engine. The noise will go away after the car is warm. Also if I rev the engine the noise dosent get louder in fact it goes away. The noise seems to stay at idle. I cant tell if it’s the alternator/ pulley/ or the belt making the noise. I've tried spraying silicon on belt but it didn’t really help. Anybody got any ideas as to the problem?? Or maybe a solution? :confused

#2 ·
i currently have a 330ci ZHP but my bro owns and a6 3.0 which is a pretty decently fast car. but anyways his car is new and make almost a diesel car noise just at startup and then goes away when it get warmed up. He told me that he asked the dealer what it ws and they only told him that it is a fault in a6 3.0 but since the dealership in his area are fuckers they said that it will run fine and that "The car runs with no oil for 20-30 revolutions with no oil on the bottom of the connecting rod" which he ttold him that it does no damage, but i would think it damges the car overtime. we are still in this debate with the dealer. he just lost one good customer. hopefully this will help you good luck with your problem. :thud

#3 ·
It's probably your vanos unit. I think it's normal, it's just not getting enough oil in the beginning.. takes about 30 secs for it to go away right?? I think there's many people that get it, but it's a normal thing.. with all cars actually..

other than that.. dunno why a dealer would say running without oil doesn't damage your car.. that's :screwy

#5 ·
I had a similar noise on my old e-30 It would make the whirring noise at first for just a few seconds, that then became longer and longer. It turned out to be the power steering oil was low due to s very slow leak. The noise goes away as the power steering oil pressure builds up in the system.

It was too expensive to bother to fix so I just kept topping the P.S. oil up and found another car.

#6 ·
Originally posted by PMB@Sep 27 2004, 03:45 AM
I had a similar noise on my old e-30 It would make the whirring noise at first for just a few seconds, that then became longer and longer. It turned out to be the power steering oil was low due to s very slow leak. The noise goes away as the power steering oil pressure builds up in the system.

It was too expensive to bother to fix so I just kept topping the P.S. oil up and found another car.
[snapback]199833[/snapback]​
Exactly my problem as described; 1998 BMW 740iL; I checked the PS reservoir and voila! it WAS almost empty; top it up a bit and the noise went away. :)

THANKS!

#7 ·
The tensioner assembly for the alternator belt comes from the factory as a spring loaded mechanical tensioner. BMW has a service bulletin concerning this. It is recommended to replace the mechanical tensioner with a hydraulic style. The hydraulic style tensioner makes less noise overall than the mechanical style, especially on cold-start which is normally when people complain of hearing the noise. Here is a list of parts to assemble the hydraulic tensioner as per the SIB (service information bulletin)

On a customer complaint basis, after the original mechanical belt tensioner in the vehicle has failed, replace only with the hydraulic style tensioner

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity

11 28 1 437 475
Ribbed V-Belt

11 28 1 726 774
Base Plate

11 28 1 726 773
Pitman Arm

11 28 1 748 131
Adjusting Pulley

07 11 9 920 150
Fillister Head Screw

11 28 1 717 188
Hydraulic Tensioner

07 11 9 913 111
Hex Bolt

07 11 9 912 652
Hex Bolt

07 11 9 901 785
Hex Bolt

11 28 1 440 369
Flat Washers

07 11 9 932 121
Wave Washers

11 28 1 727 159
Protection Cap – Pulley

12 31 1 713 143
Protection Cap – Pitman Arm

11 28 1 730 532
Mudguard

hope this helps some people...
DT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.