BMW Werkz banner

Noise Coming From Under Driver's Dashboard

3K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  storme 
#1 ·
I have a '02 330ci and have recently started to hearing a noise coming from somewhere under the driver side dashboard. I took it to the dealer and they heard it for a second or two, but couldn't pinpoint the issue. Has anyone else started to hear a weird noise coming from under the dashboard in this area?

It comes and goes and sometimes it gets really load. I've tried turning off the A/C to see if that might be the culprit, but the noise continued to stay on and then just go away on its own. Sometimes I hear a hissing type sound.

Any help or incite into this issue would be helpful.

#2 ·
I have an update to this posting. The noise I was hearing had something to do with my air conditioning system. I haven't taken it in yet, but this morning, I heard the same noise coming from under my dashboard and it was really load. When it quit, so did my air conditioning. None of the buttons for the A/C will work now and there is nothing showing up on the display unit. I have a feeling this repair is going to be expensive. :thud

#3 ·
Well...I got my car back from the dealership yesterday and the cause for the A/C failure was a blown fuse. I was expecting to pay a lot of money, but only had to pay $45.00 for diagnostic and replacement of fuse. The sound under my dashboard has gone away for now.

#4 ·
Originally posted by icwhite@Jul 21 2005, 06:46 AM
Well...I got my car back from the dealership yesterday and the cause for the A/C failure was a blown fuse. I was expecting to pay a lot of money, but only had to pay $45.00 for diagnostic and replacement of fuse. The sound under my dashboard has gone away for now.
[snapback]364038[/snapback]​
Glad it's nothing major but the diagnostic cost > replacement of the fuse :wrench

#5 ·
Yea...diagnostic cost was high, but I kind of expected that when I bought the BMW to start with.

The sound is back under my dashboard, but is so intermitent that when I take it to the dealer they can't duplicate the problem. This is getting very irritating. Does anyone else have this problem? I can't believe that I'm the only one hearing this sound.

I tried going on NHSTA website to see if there were any service bulletins on my '02 330 ci, but there were none. I found that odd. There should have been at least something. All cars have some issues.

#12 ·
there are 2 ways of doing it

1st.. take out the filter in under the hood, and spray into there.

or

2nd.. if it is an aerosol cleaner,,turn the a/c onto full.
make sure it is re-circulating the air..eg NOT drawing from the outside...
and set it on full....then spray the disinfectant :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.