No more service warranty - ouch! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2006, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
WestEast is an unknown quantity at this point
No more service warranty - ouch!

Booked my 2002 320i (Canada) with 66,000km as the Service Indicator is calling for an "Oil Change". Not bad, I am thinking.... been service-less for a year. This would be the first one I actually have to pay out for, previous one's were covered under warranty.

So the agent quotes me C$350 for the Oil Change. Gulp. Then she tells me I'm due for a coolant flush - $100; a steering flush - $80; and a fuel-injection cleanup - $100 (all prices approx. I can't recall exact). Yah.... and since my 4 year warranty is almost up, would be good to have a check-over - $65.

My question is, what is involved in the "Oil Change" activity for it to cost $350? used: Can the other activities be done just as well by a decent local shop? I'm OK with using the dealership for specialized work... but flush and lube don't fall into that category...... or do they ???

I'm prepared to get the Bentley book and do what I can myself, and this forum is a huge info source that will help with getting the service indicators reset. I'm just a little concerned that I may diminish future resale value by not having a dealership FSH on record.
WestEast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2006, 01:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
All the basic maintenance on your E46 can be done at home with basic tools and products that can be bought at regular auto parts stores, online retailers, or even the dealership.

The CDN$350 is maybe 50 for the oil, and then the rest is to pay for their overhead and overpriced labor.

Even if you are not very technically oriented (or lack the time, tools, or space), you should be able to find an independent mechanic who specializes in BMWs or maybe Euros in general. Check the regional forums and your local phonebook for such places.

You will not be diminishing the future value of your car (at least not nearly as much as most people would think). Make sure you keep your own records of all the work you do on your car, including invoices and receipts for all parts you buy, taking note of dates and mileage, and definitely include all records of work you have done at any shop. The dealerhips often have a special promotion soemtime during the year, when they charge really cheap for a general inspection. If you want to show a future buyer that your car is in tip-top shape, then it wouldn't hurt to take your car in for when the dealership has such specials going (I paid $22 last time for mine). Then you can add BMW dealerhip documents to your portfolio that say your car is functioning well.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Hootie is on a distinguished road
Agree with drz. If you're willing to purchase the Bentley manual and a few tools, you'll EASILY save money over the dealership or even a mechanic. $100 for "fuel injection clean-up"? That bottle costs $8 at pep-boys... it goes in the gas tank.
Hootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Car: '86 325es, '87 535is
Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
p.s. $350 will get you a pretty good amount of tools, depending on what you buy...
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
ldsbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
WestEast is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks all! Ordered my Bentley from Amazon. WestEast-Works about to get established! :lol:
WestEast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Hootie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEast
WestEast-Works about to get established!
You have no idea. All told, I've spent maybe $800 on tools, code readers, manuals, etc.

I recommend you get to know the sales people at Sears and Harbor Freight.
Hootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Phatrician is an unknown quantity at this point
They charge that much for the oil change, because they couple it with a cabin filter change. If you take the cabin filter change out of the equation, you'll be down to about $60.
The filter change takes a little bit of time, but realize they are overcharging you for everything they do as well.
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)