BMW Werkz banner

Newbie questions on shifting

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  KingScare 
#1 ·
I am a newbie and have just bought my first bimmer and dream car (330ci 6th gear). I have driven stick for several years on and off but never in a performance car and have some questions about shifting technique.

What are the max speeds for each gear above which it is unsafe to downshift.

What is the optimal rpms to ensure a smooth upshift. I have been led to believe that I should always be above 2500 rpms and ideally above 300 rpms and that in general the higher I go the cleaner the shift. Yet there are times that even at 3500 rpms it is not a smooth shift.

I have been told that I should pause for a second between upshifts to allow for a smoother shift.

I have also worked on the theory that except for first gear and coasting to a stop that the engine should not be under 2000 rpms and if it is my gear selection is too high

Finally besides riding the clutch are there any other sure fire ways to screw up my engine and or transmission.

I seldom use 5th or 6th gear and find that hanging around 3000rpms gives me my best power. I know that it will screw up my fuel consumption but will increase my fun. Is there any problem with this

It might sound like I have no business being in such a car but in reality when I feel the incredible torque I have in each gear I have become quite the mad man and am loving the car

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Just don't lug the engine. Cruising at a low rpm is fine, as long as the engine doesn't lug, shake, rattle and roll.

The rpm you shift at doesn't matter as far as smoothness of shifting goes. It just takes practice making quick and smooth shifts-not power shifting.

Don't take the risk of downshifting into too low a gear. After all, what's the point? Are you planning to race on a road course? I doubt it.

#3 ·
Yeah everything you said basically makes sense.

As for the smooth shifting... It depends on how well you do the clutch/gas transition. Make sure you're not still pushing the gas when you stomp on your clutch. Of course taking more time when you shift will make it very smooth.

The only time you should be driving below 2000 rpm is when you're cruising and checking out girls' asses.

Shifting at 3 000 or 4000 is fine...shifting higher is just good to make some noise and go a lil faster to roast other motorists.

I think you have it down path.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.