New Family Member - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 02:40 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PR bimmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to PR bimmer
(Thread Starter)
Just upgraded from my 318 to an 01' 330ci. Anyone having any problems with this model year. my tranny feels a bit rough on engagements. any ideas? used
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 12:18 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulations on the new car. Have you driven any other same year/models to compare the shifting to? Does it happen when upshifting or downshifting or both? Any shift point in particular? 1-2 2-3 3-4 etc.

There may be a software update available depending on the exact symptoms.

First step in my opinion however, since the car is new to you is drive another and make sure this symptom isnt a normal characteristic of the car.

DT

DT

#3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 02:06 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by PR bimmer@May 10 2005, 03:40 PM
Just upgraded from my 318 to an 01' 330ci. Anyone having any problems with this model year. my tranny feels a bit rough on engagements. any ideas? used
[snapback]342978[/snapback]
my problem is that i was able to try one. A used one of the same year. of course it shifts a lot smoother but the reason for this is that 2 weeks after i got mine a pin let loose at the sixth cylinder and it destryed the engine. right now i have a 2001 but with a brand spanking new engine, new flywheel and clutch kit so it's hard to tell one from the next. Another problem I am facing is the mechanics here at fields of florida don't seem to be able to get their shiatt together. they keep doing half ass jobs and i have to put up with it for now until the warranty is up! i did call them and the car is going back next week. the problem - yesterday - was that it would let me engage first gear from a stop. and the engagements - up and down shifting feel rough - lake a virgin high school kid that can't find the hole!
#4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 02:54 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, well I assumed you had an auto transmission. So maybe the issue is the brand of parts that they used? Did they use aftermarket parts? If so they may have a different shift-feel to them. Also, its possible that since it is used somebody has removed the clutch delay valve or drilled it out. Modders do this to actually give it a more direct clutch feel. Do a search on CDV and im sure it will yield tons of info on this. Its something to look into.
Good luck,
DT

DT

#5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 07:29 AM
Neutral Member

Howie is an unknown quantity at this point
I went from a 2000 318i to an 2001 330i. I have been talking on many threads about the smoothness issue. I found mine a little hard to pull away and I was having to rev it a little.

http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/index.php...topic=34451&hl=

Apparently is is partly due to the clutch, which on a 328 could have parts from an M3 cluch fitted to fix the problem, but this cannot be done on a 330i, and it is partly due to a slight delay when using the trottle pedal due to the fact it is not done by a cable anymore. We all suffer, but it is still a beautiful car to drive. )
#6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 07:46 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty_Tool@May 12 2005, 03:54 PM
Ok, well I assumed you had an auto transmission. So maybe the issue is the brand of parts that they used? Did they use aftermarket parts? If so they may have a different shift-feel to them. Also, its possible that since it is used somebody has removed the clutch delay valve or drilled it out. Modders do this to actually give it a more direct clutch feel. Do a search on CDV and im sure it will yield tons of info on this. Its something to look into.
Good luck,
DT
[snapback]343781[/snapback]
I hope Fields did not do that. This is a stock factory new engine and new clutch and new flywheel (all original parts) and it was not modified so i would hope these guys didn't pull a fast one on me. Could you please explain to me this cdv deal? i am very familiar with my 318 but I am still very green with this new 330. I did buy the Bentley manual,so with a little advice I think I might be able to look more into this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)