New Era In Fuel Developement Is Coming! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2005, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car: yes
Photos:
zibby is an unknown quantity at this point
Researchers are working on ways to turn virtually anything organic into fuel that could power vehicles.

In one pilot project in Georgia, fuel made from chicken fat powers school buses.

"The part of the chicken we use is the fat. And it comes from a renderer. They use every part of the chicken for something," said Greg Hopkins of U.S. Biofuels.

While things are still in an experimental stage, scientists say they have figured out ways to convert almost anything organic into fuel.

"Anything that was once a living thing -- plant life or animal -- can become fuel," said P.J. Sampson of Renewable Environmental Solutions.

For example, turkey parts are made into gasoline and heating oil. Pork fat is used to make fuel for cars....
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2005, 08:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jkayca is an unknown quantity at this point
Wasn't there another article a few weeks a go that said the energy required to turn organic matter into usable fuel was more than the energy contained in the fuel? I still think bio fuels are a long way off.
jkayca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
PMB
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
PMB is an unknown quantity at this point
You are right about the cost outweighing the benefit. However, if you drive a diesel it will happily run on cooking oil like Mazola, or cheaper brands. It is illegal because you are not paying tax though.

If that can be overcome strike a deal with KFC and McD's to take all their old cooking oil off their hands instead of them having to pay to dispose of it. Run it through a good filter and hey presto free fuel!!!
PMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
We made biodiesel in class once. I think it requires a bit more than just filtering the oil. We added some stuff, I remember.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
PMB
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
PMB is an unknown quantity at this point
It depends how powerful you want the fuel. You can add White Spirit to improve combustion. If you are really adventurous you can add some Nitro fuel as used in radio controled cars, boats and planes. That is simply castor oil with nitro added.

You should google it it is a very interesting and simple subject
PMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)