New Car "Taking Delivery" Horror Stories - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2004BMW325Ci is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Ya Ya Ya...

So I got less then a month left till i pick her up...

Just trying to get myself learned as much as possible so I'm well informed...

Just curious...

I wanna hear about all you guys "TAKING DELIVERY" horror stories...or even positive ones.

What to expect, how smooth did it go, tips for me, salesmen trying to get over on you, damage to your car from shipping, missing items... things like that! Thanks
2004BMW325Ci is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member
 
bezor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bezor is an unknown quantity at this point
I didn't have any problems. The BMW tracking web site could have been more detailed and informative as my car was at the dealership when the web site said it was still in port and hadn't gone through inspection nor shipment to my local dealer.

On the off chance I went to the dealer when I estimated it should be there, and sure enough, they were unloading it when I drove up. But I didn't know if it was my car for sure until I spoke with the salesperson.

Quality issues? The gear shift knob had loose stitching and was replaced with no questions. The salesperson asked which functions I wanted programed and that was done quickly. We firmed up the last bit of paperwork, and off we went.

It's an enjoyable experience, at least it was for me, since this was my first "new" car.
bezor is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 05:48 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
el_bandito is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats on the new Bimmer. My delivery went pretty smoothly, but if you're really looking for things that may go wrong, here are a few...

1. Make sure all of the tools are in the toolkit in the trunk. Mine was missing a few parts.

2. Get the dealership to program the various settings (do you want the doors to lock after the car starts moving?, etc).

3. Check that the valve stem caps are in place. My 330 was missing the little caps on the tire nozzles.

4. You should insist that the car is washed and detailed. Mine was clean, but there were some little things that I thought could have been taken care of. For example, the inside of the windshield had handprints from where the stock number sticker was removed. Also, the airbag warning sticker was still there.

Best of luck.

EB

BMW - With great power comes great responsibility.
el_bandito is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member
 
bezor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bezor is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by el_bandito@Feb 7 2004, 07:28 PM
Congrats on the new Bimmer. My delivery went pretty smoothly, but if you're really looking for things that may go wrong, here are a few...

1. Make sure all of the tools are in the toolkit in the trunk. Mine was missing a few parts.

2. Get the dealership to program the various settings (do you want the doors to lock after the car starts moving?, etc).

3. Check that the valve stem caps are in place. My 330 was missing the little caps on the tire nozzles.

4. You should insist that the car is washed and detailed. Mine was clean, but there were some little things that I thought could have been taken care of. For example, the inside of the windshield had handprints from where the stock number sticker was removed. Also, the airbag warning sticker was still there.

Best of luck.

EB
Why would they take the airbag warning sticker off? It's for you to read. Plus, it's not a sticker, somehow it's printed onto the sunvisor flap, I suppose you could cover it up somehow. I've heard of people removing it, but it a somewhat involved process, not something I'd bother with, but you might, espcially if it continues to bother you.

BTW: The tracking sticker on the inside of the windshield is huge and it follows the car as it is being assembled. It has a bar code and other identifying info on a 5" x 6" decal which states what parts the car was ordered with and where it is going. The sticker is removed, but I've noticed a "ghost" image of the outline of the sticker if I don't clean the inside of the windshield regularly. I've noticed this from the first day I've owned my car, and I've had it since Aug of '01.
bezor is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2004BMW325Ci is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by bezor+Feb 7 2004, 10:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bezor @ Feb 7 2004, 10:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-el_bandito@Feb 7 2004, 07:28 PM
Congrats on the new Bimmer. My delivery went pretty smoothly, but if you're really looking for things that may go wrong, here are a few...

1. Make sure all of the tools are in the toolkit in the trunk. Mine was missing a few parts.

2. Get the dealership to program the various settings (do you want the doors to lock after the car starts moving?, etc).

3. Check that the valve stem caps are in place. My 330 was missing the little caps on the tire nozzles.

4. You should insist that the car is washed and detailed. Mine was clean, but there were some little things that I thought could have been taken care of. For example, the inside of the windshield had handprints from where the stock number sticker was removed. Also, the airbag warning sticker was still there.

Best of luck.

EB
Why would they take the airbag warning sticker off? It's for you to read. Plus, it's not a sticker, somehow it's printed onto the sunvisor flap, I suppose you could cover it up somehow. I've heard of people removing it, but it a somewhat involved process, not something I'd bother with, but you might, espcially if it continues to bother you.

BTW: The tracking sticker on the inside of the windshield is huge and it follows the car as it is being assembled. It has a bar code and other identifying info on a 5" x 6" decal which states what parts the car was ordered with and where it is going. The sticker is removed, but I've noticed a "ghost" image of the outline of the sticker if I don't clean the inside of the windshield regularly. I've noticed this from the first day I've owned my car, and I've had it since Aug of '01. [/b][/quote]
try using a water bottle filled with soapy water...

Spray the window keeping it wet THE WHOLE TIME... and use a razor blade to scrape the windshield... Might help take the residue off?

I dunno, I used to clean my windows all the time with this method....

Just make sure you go real slow and gentle, and keep it wet the whole time
2004BMW325Ci is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 12:19 AM
JDM
n00b
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JDM is an unknown quantity at this point
"BMW tracking web site" what is that? i ordered a car 2 months ago, now i still need to wait for less than one month.(normal took 3 months to get the car). can i go to that websit and find how long should i wait for?(by the way i am in canada) if yes, could someone tell me that websit?
thanks alot
JDM is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 01:24 PM
1st Gear Member
 
bezor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bezor is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by 2004BMW325Ci+Feb 8 2004, 01:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (2004BMW325Ci @ Feb 8 2004, 01:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by bezor@Feb 7 2004, 10:43 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-el_bandito
Quote:
@Feb 7 2004, 07:28 PM
Congrats on the new Bimmer.* My delivery went pretty smoothly, but if you're really looking for things that may go wrong, here are a few...

1.* Make sure all of the tools are in the toolkit in the trunk.* Mine was missing a few parts.

2.* Get the dealership to program the various settings (do you want the doors to lock after the car starts moving?, etc).

3.* Check that the valve stem caps are in place.* My 330 was missing the little caps on the tire nozzles.

4.* You should insist that the car is washed and detailed.* Mine was clean, but there were some little things that I thought could have been taken care of.* For example, the inside of the windshield had handprints from where the stock number sticker was removed.* Also, the airbag warning sticker was still there.

Best of luck.

EB

Why would they take the airbag warning sticker off? It's for you to read. Plus, it's not a sticker, somehow it's printed onto the sunvisor flap, I suppose you could cover it up somehow. I've heard of people removing it, but it a somewhat involved process, not something I'd bother with, but you might, espcially if it continues to bother you.

BTW: The tracking sticker on the inside of the windshield is huge and it follows the car as it is being assembled. It has a bar code and other identifying info on a 5" x 6" decal which states what parts the car was ordered with and where it is going. The sticker is removed, but I've noticed a "ghost" image of the outline of the sticker if I don't clean the inside of the windshield regularly. I've noticed this from the first day I've owned my car, and I've had it since Aug of '01.
try using a water bottle filled with soapy water...

Spray the window keeping it wet THE WHOLE TIME... and use a razor blade to scrape the windshield... Might help take the residue off?

I dunno, I used to clean my windows all the time with this method....

Just make sure you go real slow and gentle, and keep it wet the whole time [/b][/quote]
I know what you are suggesting. You can't feel the residue, and it is only visible at an extreme angle only after the car has been left in the hot sun. The off-gassing of the interior seems to coat the inside of the windshield with a film. This film highlights where the tracking sticker use to be.

So, granted, its not obvious, but surprising nonetheless given the car is a late '01 model.
bezor is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 10:25 AM
n00b
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
captainslav is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by JDM@Feb 8 2004, 01:59 AM
"BMW tracking web site" what is that? i ordered a car 2 months ago, now i still need to wait for less than one month.(normal took 3 months to get the car). can i go to that websit and find how long should i wait for?(by the way i am in canada) if yes, could someone tell me that websit?
thanks alot
it is on the www.bmwusa.com website. you have to go to the owners circle link and it will give you updates on your car..like how long till delivery and stuff like that. rumor has it that it is lagging by aproximately a week.
captainslav is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 10:27 AM
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
the website sucks big time. on my car it had no options on order, and it lagged for weeks.

delivery at the dealer was perfect.

peter
peterkulesza is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 01:27 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: CT
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
couper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by el_bandito@Feb 7 2004, 07:28 PM








4. You should insist that the car is washed and detailed. Mine was clean, but there were some little things that I thought could have been taken care of. For example, the inside of the windshield had handprints from where the stock number sticker was removed. Also, the airbag warning sticker was still there.


Unless you've seen examples of your dealers washing and detailing of
new cars I would advise against this option. Usually when they're finished
the car looks like it's spent time in the swirl mark and scratch application
department.
couper is offline  
#11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member
 
bezor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bezor is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by couper+Feb 10 2004, 03:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (couper @ Feb 10 2004, 03:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-el_bandito@Feb 7 2004, 07:28 PM








4. You should insist that the car is washed and detailed. Mine was clean, but there were some little things that I thought could have been taken care of. For example, the inside of the windshield had handprints from where the stock number sticker was removed. Also, the airbag warning sticker was still there.


Unless you've seen examples of your dealers washing and detailing of
new cars I would advise against this option. Usually when they're finished
the car looks like it's spent time in the swirl mark and scratch application
department. [/b][/quote]
I totally agree.

The last time I took my car in, they did me the "favor" of washing my car. They did such a crappy, I could have hired a blind person with one hand and the car would have looked better. Huge areas of dirt were left behind, so much so, that it looked worse than when I brought it in. In a way, it looked dirtier since some parts were clean, you could tell which areas were washed and which weren't. It looked like shit.

RE: the web site. It lags, as someone else said. I thought it was cool at first to "watch" my car as it moved along. But then I realized that it wasn't that helpful at all since the web site still said it was being shipped -as in it hadn't hit port yet- even though that same day my dealer called and said they had it at the dealership.
bezor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Me on my car, on the Freeway! 325eXTATIC Picture Showroom 20 01-19-2006 10:49 AM
Chip Made My Car Slower gonzonick 3-Series (E36) 12 10-25-2005 02:46 PM
problems starting car when cold... VLAD_325is 3-Series (E36) 8 09-12-2005 08:08 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome