BMW Werkz banner

New to the board..universal muffler question

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ///M Power 
#1 ·
I lvoe your boards...I have been using other forums and I seem to like the crowd here alot...I have 2000 323Ci I jsut bought with 85k on it..5spd S&P Packs. I am by no means looking for a race car here but am having problems with the cost of mods after being used to moding my previous car, wich was a 96 Mustang GT 5spd (POS) Anyways ..say I have someone thats really good at welding that can do the install...does any know of people with universal mufflers on a Bimmer? I mean good brands like Greddy, Spintech (sp?) , HKS and that type stuff? I would think in terms of sound a straight through muffler is usually going to sound very similar reguardless of brand but still prefer a quality built peice. Just cant afford 500 bux for a catback right now...any information you can offer will be great...and feel fre to flame me for asking such a dumb question...after doing a million searches I seem to be the only one to ask this!:confused:

#2 ·
Haha sorry to say it but the reason you are the only one to ask is because it's a rather embarassing modification. Not my cup of tea. In all honesty what you should really look for is a used cat back. It seems your eally want that grunt from a nice sounding muffler. Others are goign to suggest you do suspension and other not so noticeable items like an intake, but if you got your heart set, we're not goign to change anything.

For starters, a cat back on your BMW wont run you $500. Try $600-$1000. It can get pricey. I say buy a good brand used muffler.

It seems you might not know a lot of catback exhausts you can pick from so ill just toss out a few brand names to help you on your quest.
AC Schnitzer
AATuning
Hamann
Supersprint
UUC
Borla
Stromung
Ansa
Rogue Engineering
Racing Dynamics
B&B

Japanese brands and sometimes American brands are defintely not exactly the best choice. They GENERALLY sound pretty nasty and dont seem to carry on that low deep note that BMWs are associated with.

Please continue to ask more questions and congrats on joining the boards!

#3 ·
///M Power said:
Haha sorry to say it but the reason you are the only one to ask is because it's a rather embarassing modification. Not my cup of tea. In all honesty what you should really look for is a used cat back. It seems your eally want that grunt from a nice sounding muffler. Others are goign to suggest you do suspension and other not so noticeable items like an intake, but if you got your heart set, we're not goign to change anything.

For starters, a cat back on your BMW wont run you $500. Try $600-$1000. It can get pricey. I say buy a good brand used muffler.

It seems you might not know a lot of catback exhausts you can pick from so ill just toss out a few brand names to help you on your quest.
AC Schnitzer
AATuning
Hamann
Supersprint
UUC
Borla
Stromung
Ansa
Rogue Engineering
Racing Dynamics
B&B

Japanese brands and sometimes American brands are defintely not exactly the best choice. They GENERALLY sound pretty nasty and dont seem to carry on that low deep note that BMWs are associated with.

Please continue to ask more questions and congrats on joining the boards!
Thanks for all the help so far...I have searched ebay in search of one of the brands you have listed and even used they seem to be way outta my price range lol...not so worried about performace as much as I am used to driving a stang and need some type of sound lol..what about the design of those mufflers make them sound so much better? Are they chambered? Straight through or what?

#8 · (Edited)
Here are a few aftermarket companies that offer exhausts for BMW's. I did not list all of the companies, but just a few. I have listed the name of the company, their price range, sound, construction and appearance.

The Price Key is:
Affordable: $200 - $400
Moderate: $400 - $700
Expensive: $700 - $1000

AC Schnitzer
Price: Expensive
Sound: no info yet
Construction: steel
Appearance: Black Matte Muffler with Square tips

Active Autowerke
Price: Moderate
Sound: Nice rumble in idle, very smooth and controlled (Ferrari sounding) mid RPM to wide open exhaust note
Construction: stainless steel
Appearance: Mirror finish stainless steel. One of a kind "stealthy" custom fit. Custom designed for a PERFECT FIT on E36's. Slightly larger rolled twin circular tips. Dyno proven 10hp.

ANSA
Price: Extremely Affordable
Sound: Quiet Idle, Stock Sounding
Appearance: Real Ugly Orange

ES Tuning
Price: Affordable
Sound: Nice rumble in idle, Smooth Moderate Loudness
Appearance: Nicely polished stainless steel finish. Straight cut DTM Tips.

Dinan
Sound: Quiet idle, Slightly more rumble than Stock
Appearance: Remanufactured Stock E36 M3 exhaust with reduced baffling.

Genie
Sound: Deep Idle, Moderate Loudness
Appearance: Nicely polished stainless steel finish. Single Oval Rolled tip or Dual Straight Cut DTM tips available.

Hartge
Sound: Soft, Smooth Hum
Appearance: Nice looking Oval Dual tips (almost rectangular in shape)

HKS
Sound: Deep idle, Moderate Smooth loudness
Appearance: Very nice looking single thin-walled round tip with a round muffler. Polished finished. Although new in the european market, it is a very nice exhaust system. Dyno proven 12hp.

Momo Corse
Sound: Nice Rumble in Idle, Deep "Throaty" Tones
Appearance: Dual round chrome tips.

Remus
Sound: Soft Idle, Moderate
Construction: galvanized steel
Appearance: Experienced rusting problems along the welds. Real NICE looking Dual (square-like) rolled tip. You can see the meshed resonator baffling inside the tip. (available in Carbon Fiber).

Scorpion
Sound: Deep Idle, soft to moderate droning mid-high range
Construction: T304 stainless steel with mig welded parts
Appearance: 3" Dual DTM Tips

Sebring
Sound: Soft Idle, Smooth Rumble
Appearance: Looks Stock (optional chrome tip)

Stromung
Sound: Soft Idle, Moderately Loud
Construction: polished stainless steel
Appearance: Dual Standard Tips

Supersprint
Price: Expenisve
Sound: Soft, Smooth Hum
Appearance: Dual standard or curved DTM tips. NOT a TRUE DTM look! It is merely an upward mandrel bend that simulates the DTM look. They may have corrected this with straight cut DTM tips already.

Tri-Flo
Sound: Deep Burbly Idle, Loud "Throaty" sound. Almost unbearably loud.
Appearance: Experienced rusting problems along the welds. Dual standard or angled tips. (available in a single round or oval angled rolled tip)

I hope this information is useful for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.