New bimmer need help! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 12:09 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
topofyourgas is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
New bimmer need help!

I just got a new (to me) 99 bmw 328i E46. Its my first bmw and needless to say I'm in love. Unfortunately I've had some issues with it and I need some advice.

1. Car has rough idle and I heard someone say it might be maf sensor? But I haven't yet replaced the fuel filter or spark plugs/wires so maybe that could be it?

2. From 1st to 2nd gear it has a forceful jerk.

3. For a while after driving a bit, the engine, acs, and oil light would all come one and the car would shudder and almost stop. But everytime It would happen I would try to take it to get the codes read and it would stop. But last time I did the guy supposedly fixed some vacuum leaks, replaced the air boot, and wiped the codes and it hasn't done it since.

4. When I turn the car off, theres no beep or flash to notify that it has locked, THEN the fan comes on really loudly for 10 seconds??

5. I have windshield cleaner fluid but it doesnt come out.

6. I have a hole in my condenser so I got a replacement but evidently I need to replace the dryer too?? If so I cant find one.

Okay I know its a lot, and most of you are probably laughing at how trivial this might be for you, but I'm not a gear head or a car guy so you using flowery terminology isn't going to help me. But If you can give me a good idea on what to do for any of these issues (without saying go to a dealer, ive heard that enough) it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 02:39 PM
Festivus yes, bagels no..

yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
Quote:
Originally Posted by topofyourgas View Post
1. Car has rough idle and I heard someone say it might be maf sensor? But I haven't yet replaced the fuel filter or spark plugs/wires so maybe that could be it?

3. For a while after driving a bit, the engine, acs, and oil light would all come one and the car would shudder and almost stop. But everytime It would happen I would try to take it to get the codes read and it would stop. But last time I did the guy supposedly fixed some vacuum leaks, replaced the air boot, and wiped the codes and it hasn't done it since.

I would give it a tune up...plugs, filters, etc. I would maybe try cleaning the MAF...because I think a new one is around $300.

Even if the check engine light is off, it should still store a code that autozone can read for you.

Sorry, that's all the help I can be...

#3 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 02:46 PM
Captain... Savvy ?

Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
I think it maybe running too rich... Dodgy injectors, air leak (Causing extra fuelling), dirty Throttle body, fuel pump pressure... This list carries on...
All said, you should get those codes as it could even be the ECU being awkward!!!
DAZ

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
#4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 06:09 PM
n00b

topofyourgas is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Okay so I should:

1. Check the codes at autozone (they said if the lights aren't on they cant read it )

2. Change the plugs/wires/filters/oil

3. Clean the throttle body/MAF (can anyone point me to a diy?)

I also am not getting very good gas mileage, could 'running too rich' cause that?
#5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 07:14 PM
n00b

matty427 is on a distinguished road
Garage
I would try to find a private garage that specializes in BMW's and get an estimate of what it would cost to bring everything up to spec. I don't know where you live but there are usually a few of these guys around everywhere. Ask other BMW owners if they can recommend someone. Your mechanical experience sounds a bit limited. Maybe try a couple of things that you think you can manage yourself, and let the pro's do the rest. The E46 is a great car and you'll get plenty of enjoyment owning and driving it.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Festivus yes, bagels no..

yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
Quote:
Okay so I should:

1. Check the codes at autozone (they said if the lights aren't on they cant read it )
that?
They might have said that, but I got my codes read yesterday at Autozone...Check engine light was not on at the time but still got a code.

Quote:
3. Clean the throttle body/MAF (can anyone point me to a diy?)
I just bought a bottle of MAF cleaner at an auto parts store....directions are on the can.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)