Need suggestions on how to improve ride - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 05:25 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ilia is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Need suggestions on how to improve ride

I recently purchased a 2005 325CI and am obviously very satisfied with it.

However, after driving for some time, i realized that even though the car is very smooth, the drive is actually somewhat sloppy. I feel almost every bump and crevice on the road regardless of how small it is.

The problem is that i have absolutely no knowledge in cars and i was thinking to maybe replace my tires to a larger size (the 17inch) to see if it would help.

Please help me out with some suggestions as to how to "feel the road" a lot less
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 05:46 PM
drz
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Welcome

Well, it is funny that yo are looking for less road feel, since most BMW drivers (or at least most of our forum members), crave as much interaction with the road as possible.

The first thing I would recommend would be going with a smaller wheel instead of larger. The larger your wheels, the less rubber there is between you can the road. I don't think the size of the brakes on your car will allow anything smaller than 16" wheels, however.

The next step would be to change the shocks and springs in your car to the setup that comes with the non-sport E46 sedans. See, all the coupes came from the factory with the sport suspension, which sits lower and is firmer than that in the sedans.You may even be able to find someone who wants your suspension to fit into their sedans and is willing to swap with you.

I imagine you should not have a problem fitting the spongier shocks from a sedan in your coupe.

Good luck!

#3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 06:46 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
You may well come to love road feel. There is not much greater feeling than the telegraphing affect the wheel gives as one front tire is getting (but not yet) loose, especially on wet roads. My change from a car with road isolation to a BMW with road feel taught me this.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)