Need the recipe to clean pitted/foggy lens? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 05:13 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BMW Christina is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Need the recipe to clean pitted/foggy lens?

Hi all

I know I saw somewhere on the site about using 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and Meguire's Plastix plastic cleaner.........but, I cannot remember the process by which to use it.

I sanded first, then applied the polish, remove it..and now they looked foggier, more hazy, tho the pitted look is gone.

What have I done wrong??

Thanks! used:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 02:38 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Hola senorita, ill try and help on this one

Althoguh im slightly intoxicated at the moment ill see if I can remmbr. There are a few ways to do this that ive heard work.

First is just buy some plastic polish and go to town on it.
Second, is use some high grit sandpaper (2000 shud be fine) and wetsand it down. Once you're done with this, ive heard you are sppposed to use alumnium polish...yeah wtf i have nto tried it because mine arent plastic.
Third. this one I can believe but you must be careful. A member a long time ago I believe used nail polish remover on his headlights. He took a terry cloth and some nail polish remover and just tried it and apparently it worked out pretty well. But, (WARNING) just be sure you dotn get any nail polish remover on your paint. Its bad news bears for your paint. so yeah dont drop any on ur paint
Fourth, just buy new plastic covers. someoen mentioend its liek $40 a piece. this would be a real pain in the ass process because youd need to pull appart the seal and silicone holdign your headlights together and this might cause them to fog up form the iinside in cold weather if you dotn seal it perfectly or do this in warm temperatures!

So yeah try the nail polish remover, then if that doesnt work try thr plastic cleaner alone, and if that doesnt work try the sanding and aluminum polish,a nd if that doesnt work call the pope cause weve got a problem.

Anyoen else want to confirm any of the gibberish i just said?

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#3 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 03:01 AM
The Messican

MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MiguelACA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power
Hola senorita, ill try and help on this one

Althoguh im slightly intoxicated at the moment ill see if I can remmbr. There are a few ways to do this that ive heard work.

First is just buy some plastic polish and go to town on it.
Second, is use some high grit sandpaper (2000 shud be fine) and wetsand it down. Once you're done with this, ive heard you are sppposed to use alumnium polish...yeah wtf i have nto tried it because mine arent plastic.
Third. this one I can believe but you must be careful. A member a long time ago I believe used nail polish remover on his headlights. He took a terry cloth and some nail polish remover and just tried it and apparently it worked out pretty well. But, (WARNING) just be sure you dotn get any nail polish remover on your paint. Its bad news bears for your paint. so yeah dont drop any on ur paint
Fourth, just buy new plastic covers. someoen mentioend its liek $40 a piece. this would be a real pain in the ass process because youd need to pull appart the seal and silicone holdign your headlights together and this might cause them to fog up form the iinside in cold weather if you dotn seal it perfectly or do this in warm temperatures!

So yeah try the nail polish remover, then if that doesnt work try thr plastic cleaner alone, and if that doesnt work try the sanding and aluminum polish,a nd if that doesnt work call the pope cause weve got a problem.

Anyoen else want to confirm any of the gibberish i just said?

id try. but im think im just as intoxiated as u...

A morning of awkwardness is better than a night of loneliness
#4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 08:53 AM
n00b

BMW Christina is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Oh golly, advice from drunkards? What shall I do?

<<Lady in distress, here>>
#5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 12:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Ocean02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Christina
Oh golly, advice from drunkards? What shall I do?

<<Lady in distress, here>>
Christina,

Lucky for you have have just done this the correct way on Sunday (yesterday). I'm the guy who posted this originally and you can look up that post too.

I have tried the sanding and the polish, etc. and the best one I have found thusfar is the polish/scratch removal repair kit from Auto Zone. This kit consists of 6 pads with self-adhesive that stick onto a little plastic disk that you put into a standard electric drill. Very simple. Put the on, spray water on them and push the "go" botton. Move the rotating disk across your lense for 10 minutes, wetting it as it dries over and over. The scratches and haze will vanish. It's guarranteed. I did it yesterday and it really freakin' works---finally.

Other tips: You can EASILY remove the lenses. There's no silicone seal or anything on the 2002 model - 2005. To remove the lense ( you really don't need to) just IM me and I'll give you a detailed description process. You can also use CHROME polish or RUBBING COMPOUND after you sand the lenses as these are mildly abrasive and will remove scratches, without damaging the plastic. You may also try using very fine steel wool, then the polishing compound. (I haven't used nail polish remover, but it's worth a shot. I would definitely take the lesnes off if you try this one.)

Good luck. And feel free to email or IM me.

Ciao,
Ari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW front side small.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	23090  

Ari Cohen
2002 BMW 325i
5spd manual
#6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 02:49 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Cleaning using nail polish remover. Before and After pictures included.
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/was...ing-13481.html

Wetsand/aluminium polish method and plastic polish also
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/was...luminum+polish

I may have been drunk but I think I kenw what i was talkign about.

...ive been on this forum for too many years

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)