Need help to fix passenger window. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2006, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Ocean02 is on a distinguished road
Need help to fix passenger window.

Hi guys,

I'm sure you have seen the other posts about this. But I tried to repair this popping, grinding passenger, front window and followed the directions from this link I found on a Do it yourself site for E46s. The guy said to remove the bolts that hold the window to the window rails.

If anyone out there knows how to remove the bolt on the window that connects the glass to the windor rail, please let me know. I tried to do the above linked fix with the zip ties, and I could not get this damn bolt removed. Here's a pic of the bolt on my 2002 325i. An 8mm wrench was too large and a 7mm was too small! Then I got to thinking, even if I got this bolt removed and the window disconnected from the rail, how would I get the bolt back in? I cannot squeeze even one finger in there!

Please help! Also, my air bag light won't turn off now that I have disconnected the air back and put it back in. I tried disconnecting the battery over night, but the light stays on. I did reconnect the air bag connector, so is there some reset deal I have to do?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Need help to fix passenger window.-window-bolt.jpg  
Ocean02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2006, 11:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
the bolt is an 8mm. try a ratchet with socket instead of a wrench and maybe you will have better luck. Also dont lose the fasteners that the bolts go in to, they are not regular nuts. The airbag lamp will have to be reset by a dealer or a shop with the equipment to do so. Disconnecting the battery will not do it and there is no hidden secret to doing it, you just need the proper equipment.

Oh as far as getting the bolts back in, use a socket with some grease in it to hold the bolt from falling or tape it to the socket.

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Good advice, but there's no way I'm gonna get a socket in a 1/2 inch space.

There's literally less than an inch between the head of the bolt and the metal window rail (see above photo). I could barely get a boxed-end wrench in there, let alone a socket and wratchet. (Now, it's hightly likely that I am a complete idiot and didn't see a space to move the window up or down to where there is space for this socket. If that's the case---which I hope it is---then I can do this job quite easily!)

Can someone who's done this job tell me how to access this one little bolt? Is there a position where the bolt is accessible with a socket (like through the window rail?)

You guys are great. Oh and DT, your grease-in-the-socket trick is slick (no pun intended)!
Old 03-23-2006, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2005 330xi
Photos:
325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
You have to move the window into about a half way up position, secure the window well remove the bolt in question, there is a plastic or metal guide that comes out too (may need small needle nose pliers to remove) this guide is also what adjusts the pitch of the window (tips the window in or away from the car) I hope you find this info helpful...If yours is a sedan this job is WAY easier than on the coupe
Old 03-23-2006, 06:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Thanks. Gosh, I wish I felt like I really understand this! When I took the door apart last weekend, I swear that there was no way to access that bolt with anything other than a very thin, boxed-end 7.5mm wrench! I simply cannot fit a tool between the window guide rail and that bolt.

Now, please tell me that there is a way to access this. This half-way position you speak of---will that allow a ratchet/socket to access that bolt?? Other people do this job so I image that is the case, yet I cannot get a straight answer.

I just don't want to take the door apart again to have the same problem, especially since last time I couldn't find the right size wrench. That really torqued me (no pun intended).

If you tell me that this bolt is accessible with a socket, then I'll make it work! I just need the confidence that I can do it. I am good at this stuff, which is the frustrating part. I hate not being able to get my product...

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2006, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Yes it is absolutely possible to use a ratchet with an extension and a socket. The window should be actually just a lil less than half way up and at that position there is cutouts which allow you to access the bolts through the rails. Also you wont have a guide that comes out when you remove the bolts. That is only on the coupes. You have a four door, i can tell because you have the 8mm head bolts. A coupe would have torx fasteners.
Good luck, Im sure itll workout better this time with some info under your belt.
Take Care,

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
DT is the shiznit! That's EXTACTLY what I wanted to hear! Now I have confidence that I can do it.

The problem last week was that it started to rain while I had my door apart, so I was really rushed, and I didn't see that cut out in the rail. Thanks a million, really.

I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get it apart. I think this zip tie fix is a great way to save money and not have to purchase a whole new regulator. But taking the rails out to fix that cable fastener is necessary I think. Otherwise, how could I get the cable to fasten to the rail. Anyway, I'll see when I am done and let you know. I'll be sure to get pics too for future reference!

Best,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)