Need Help Bad!!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2006, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 00 bmw 323i
Photos:
323bri is on a distinguished road
Need Help Bad!!!

I just bought a 323i and the problems I am having are when you put the car in gear or shift gears I hear a bump sound in the rear end. It is very annoying I would really like to fix it. Also when I hit the brakes the car pulls to the right side. I kinda clunks when you apply the brake. I was told that these cars are notorious for the lower contol arm bushings crapping out. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!! I just got this car and I want to enjoy it. thanks
323bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2006, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
what year is it? how many miles? If its older and has higher miles then yes check the upper control arm bushings also called thrust rod bushings, they may need to be replaced. If you do any type of search you will finds tons of info on these. Also there is an online parts film at www.realoem.com where you can see a nice diagram of what they look like and get BMW part #s. The clunk in the rear could possibly be coming from a worn rear differential mount. This mount requires special tools to replace so its not an easy DIY job.
Good Luck and Take care,

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Car: 95 M3
Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
my guess is it could be a rear strut mount... if its blown then you will need to replace it and just search the forum on info about it... i say that because if its blown it may throw out the alignment which would conciter your car pulling to one side... but that also could be a brushing as dirty tool stated...id jack up the car and look at all the brushings in the rear of the car and then the top of the shock towers to make sure those havent taken a shit on you...
saltshaker185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
i got the car on a lift and when the car was put into gear nor the trans or the diff moved at all. when it makes the sound the driveshaft moves to the drivers side like its going into reverse but its actually being put in first gear.So a summary of it all is sitting still putting the car in gear it makes a bump noise, when driving switching gears it makes a bump noise. this is so agravating I wish somone could help me.ghead
Old 08-08-2006, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to DIRTE30
The diff will not behave the same off of the ground as it will under load! The noise you are hearing is a very common problem in older bimmers. The rear diff mount get slack and lets the rear axle assembly rock under load causing the clunking noise. There is also the possibility that you have exessive gear lash in the diff or the pinion bearing is worn. Either way it's not a job for the amature or someone without the proper tools and understanding. Saltshaker has such a way with words...SP?... LOL... just pickin on ya buddy!
DIRTE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Hootie is on a distinguished road
323bri, does this happen every time you put the car into gear? When I'm parked on a decline and put my car into reverse, the rear of my car "clunks" down as well, unless I have the parking brake engaged. I have ignored it thus far as it hasn't appeared to have any effect on my performance.
Hootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
FL325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootie
323bri, does this happen every time you put the car into gear? When I'm parked on a decline and put my car into reverse, the rear of my car "clunks" down as well, unless I have the parking brake engaged. I have ignored it thus far as it hasn't appeared to have any effect on my performance.
My '03 325i does the same. Normal?
FL325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
This happens when I put the car in to first gear and also when I'm driving and shifting gears. It is a muffled thud in the rear of the car. I inspected the rear diff bushings but they don't appear to be bad. I was reading a technical service bullitin on my car and I found one that stated transmission clunk noise.It gave all the simptums that I am having and it gave a part number for the repair kit. I ordered the kit and it was wrong. the kit is supposed to be a new output flange along with some washers and oring but the flange that the kit has is to big none of the hole line up with mine on the car. I was also curious if any body has heared of this before and if so is this fix for an automatic. I really need to fix this problem it is so annoying to drive the car like this Help!!!!
Old 08-20-2006, 11:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car: yes
Photos:
zibby is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323bri
This happens when I put the car in to first gear and also when I'm driving and shifting gears. It is a muffled thud in the rear of the car. I inspected the rear diff bushings but they don't appear to be bad. I was reading a technical service bullitin on my car and I found one that stated transmission clunk noise.It gave all the simptums that I am having and it gave a part number for the repair kit. I ordered the kit and it was wrong. the kit is supposed to be a new output flange along with some washers and oring but the flange that the kit has is to big none of the hole line up with mine on the car. I was also curious if any body has heared of this before and if so is this fix for an automatic. I really need to fix this problem it is so annoying to drive the car like this Help!!!!
Output flange repair kit is only for 1999-2000 cars with auto transmission(323 and 328 models).These cars had this "clunking" issue,though it does not apply to cars with standard gearboxes..... sorry.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
so is there anything I can do to fix the problem or once it startings doing it there is no fixing it?
Old 08-21-2006, 08:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
so is there anything I can do to fix the problem or once it startings doing it there is no fixing it?
Just ignore it... most 3 series E46 doing that.There is no danger to any components of the car in this case,
Old 08-22-2006, 12:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Photos:
One more thing,,, Regarding clunking when brake applyed.Your front rotors are overheated and/or below minimum thicknes level, also probably you got aftermarket front brake pads, which cause that symptoms.Change front rotors and pads(I would recommend original BMW one) and clunking and pulling to the side will go away !
Old 08-22-2006, 09:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
rej487 has a spectacular aura aboutrej487 has a spectacular aura aboutrej487 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to rej487
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you should make absolute sure that you don't have a torn subframe...
Old 08-23-2006, 03:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Car: alfa romeo 75
Photos:
turbotom is hated around these partsturbotom is hated around these parts
Send a message via MSN to turbotom
Quote:
I just bought a 323i and the problems I am having are when you put the car in gear or shift gears I hear a bump sound in the rear end. It is very annoying I would really like to fix it. Also when I hit the brakes the car pulls to the right side. I kinda clunks when you apply the brake. I was told that these cars are notorious for the lower contol arm bushings crapping out. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!! I just got this car and I want to enjoy it. thanks

hi,

when you are braking the pulling can also be that the wheels may not be balenced proply
turbotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)