Need advice, used purchase - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 01:20 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
beamerbaby09 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Need advice, used purchase

Hey folks I'm new to this board. I'm here because I'll be purchasing my first ever BMW sometime tomorrow...It is an '06 325I, drives nice but I noticed a few problems that could, IMO, turn out to be minor or end up becoming major issues....Moonroof lifts up but does not slide back, both rear windows roll down but not back up....My personal mechanic feels this is could be a major electrical problem but the dealer, of course, tells me no problem at all and will fix it prior to me taking delivery.....That said, the factory warranty just expired so I'm contemplating buying the extended warranty....Your thoughts, suggestions & opinions are welcome....I'll check for your responses before heading out to the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 03:02 AM
W00T

Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Numark318i
first off welcome.

The sun roof problem is more then likely due to the sun eatng the plastic clips away that hold the shade in place. When the clips break it causes the sunroof to jam, so you cant open it fully. Fix takes about 30min and a $5 clip.

more than likely not a big problem.

Rear window problem is probably bad window regulators. Its somewhat of a gamble from what i read, but if they replace them it should be find for atleast a few years, if not forever.

Mine went out in my 2001, im on my second replacement in 100 thousand miles.

I would purchase the warranty, just incase. Might pay off, and if not atleast youll have the peace of mind knowing you are covered incase something does break.

how many miles?

#3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 09:35 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numark318i View Post
first off welcome.

The sun roof problem is more then likely due to the sun eatng the plastic clips away that hold the shade in place. When the clips break it causes the sunroof to jam, so you cant open it fully. Fix takes about 30min and a $5 clip.

more than likely not a big problem.

Rear window problem is probably bad window regulators. Its somewhat of a gamble from what i read, but if they replace them it should be find for atleast a few years, if not forever.

Mine went out in my 2001, im on my second replacement in 100 thousand miles.

I would purchase the warranty, just incase. Might pay off, and if not atleast youll have the peace of mind knowing you are covered incase something does break.

how many miles?
Thanks for the warm welcome, appreciate it. The car just crossed 50K miles and was a bank repo. Bad regulators on both rear windows you think? Both are doing the exact same thing.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 02:41 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Any other ideas or suggestions out there...

I'm due to pick the car up in a few hours & I am still not sure about those two problems...
#5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

coolvegase34 is an unknown quantity at this point
how much do they want you to pay. That is high mileage for an 06. You should use that as a bargaining tool as well as the other repairs. Any 3 year old car should not have these problems. Think about it. If you are having problems now, think about what is going to happen around 70,000 to 100,000. I would shop around for something that came off a lease and still has a factory warranty. They all come with 4 years or 50,000 miles bumper to bumper. Even if it is a bargain, be careful. It doesn't sound like the car was cared for. I have a 94 525i with 83,000 that doesn't have your problems. I would pass but if you "have to have it", definitely get the warranty. If the car is labled "AS IS", run. The dealer should offer some sort of warranty, even if it is for a year. If they will not warranty a 3 year old car, forget it.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 04:01 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvegase34 View Post
how much do they want you to pay. That is high mileage for an 06. You should use that as a bargaining tool as well as the other repairs. Any 3 year old car should not have these problems. Think about it. If you are having problems now, think about what is going to happen around 70,000 to 100,000. I would shop around for something that came off a lease and still has a factory warranty. They all come with 4 years or 50,000 miles bumper to bumper. Even if it is a bargain, be careful. It doesn't sound like the car was cared for. I have a 94 525i with 83,000 that doesn't have your problems. I would pass but if you "have to have it", definitely get the warranty. If the car is labled "AS IS", run. The dealer should offer some sort of warranty, even if it is for a year. If they will not warranty a 3 year old car, forget it.
Good points. I feel the deal on the table is a very good one....$18,900....Everywhere else I check, they are over $24K/$25K....It is labeled as is & nope they are not offering any sort of warranty. I have to buy the 3 year extended warranty if I want any coverage....You are right in that I really do want the car but at the same time do not want to make an unwise decision hence the thread.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Put on your nike's and run as fast as you can. I don't know where you live. I am in Las Vegas where everything is overpriced. I saw an 05 3 series for 14,500 in mint condition about a month ago. Shop around. It took me seven months to find mine but she is a gem. Check out my ride pics in the member's gallery.I used to sell bmw's back in 1991 and I can guide you if you wish. Any questions post or drop me a pm. Good Luck.

ps. any as/is car is a red flag. It doesn't matter what it is. Especially a BMW. That car should go 70-100,000 without any major service.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 02:04 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvegase34 View Post
Put on your nike's and run as fast as you can. I don't know where you live. I am in Las Vegas where everything is overpriced. I saw an 05 3 series for 14,500 in mint condition about a month ago. Shop around. It took me seven months to find mine but she is a gem. Check out my ride pics in the member's gallery.I used to sell bmw's back in 1991 and I can guide you if you wish. Any questions post or drop me a pm. Good Luck.

ps. any as/is car is a red flag. It doesn't matter what it is. Especially a BMW. That car should go 70-100,000 without any major service.
I didn't have my Nike's on but I went forward w/the purchase....
#9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

good luck and enjoy. Post some pics and keep us updated
#10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Neutral Member

warcraftjjs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to warcraftjjs
If I was you I would try to buy a warranty coverage to cover the life of the loan (If you get one). Or for how long you are going to keep the car.

WARCRAFTJJS SPONSORED BY bimmian.com.
#11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 05:48 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I'm scheduled to take my car into the Dealer tomorrow to have my moonroof and rear window problem looked at but I just decided to check a few things myself....I read the manual and it said if the battery was recently replaced (it was per the dealer) then the system should be reinitialized by the dealer. I called BMW and they told me how to reset the system. I did and now my roof works perfectly. Just held down the button for 30 seconds. I'm wondering if this has anything to do my rear windows 'sticking' when down or if that's something entirely separate....I'm also debating on canceling my appt w/the dealer now....
#12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Neutral Member

warcraftjjs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to warcraftjjs
I don't think the rear windows "sticking" is from the battery being replaced.

WARCRAFTJJS SPONSORED BY bimmian.com.
#13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 11:33 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warcraftjjs View Post
I don't think the rear windows "sticking" is from the battery being replaced.
Yeah thinking that was somewhat of a stretch.....She's @ the dealer now being examined.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)