My Battery is Drained - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 11:18 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Meezy is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
My Battery is Drained

Hey, what's up guys? I'm new to this board, so go easy on me.

Anyway, I woke up earlier this morning to start my car and the lights started blinking on and off and the engine would not start. I'm guessing the battery is drained but I'm not sure why.

I kinda wish I had the owner's manual to verify my suspicion. I notice that the P light on the gear shifter (or whatever it's called) stays on if I don't lock the doors. I've noticed this from the first few days I got it but I figured it wouldn't hurt anything.

Is it normal for this light to stay on?? used:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 12:08 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I am not sure about the 'P' light. Is your car still under warranty? If not, I would just take out the battery and have it tested at an auto parts store. If it is still a good battery have them charge it. The you would have to check for any bad ground connections or if some other load is draining your battery when the car if off.

Whan you say it did not start, did the engine try to turn over, or did you get nothing at all from the car when you turned the key in the ignition?

Let us know of any findings. I wish I could be of more help, but this is what I have for now. Please come back and give us as much info as you can.

#3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 12:46 PM
n00b

Meezy is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
yeah, the engine did not turn over. and what i mean by the "P" light, i mean the Parking light, for instance: P, R, N, D, etc. also, i am not under warranty.

anyway, i had to physically carry the battery down the street to this repair shop and they charged it for me. sucks cuz it's cold right now. well, as i was putting the battery back on, the trunk light came on. i was excited, until it began flashing as i was tightening the nuts and the trunk light turned off.

i was nervous that it probably would not start; however, it did start. i then drove it around the block (it's a huge block by the way) and returned home. i made sure to see that everything was no longer powered and locked it so that the "P" light would turn off; it did. i then checked the trunk to see if the light was flashing or even turning on as i popped the trunk, but when i opened the trunk, both trunk lights did not turn on. hmmmmmm.

well, i'm due for an oil change so i guess i should take it down to a BMW place where they can do that and see what's causing my battery to be drained. i'll keep u posted, but feel free to reply to the info i have supplied.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 11:47 AM
n00b

abelinkoln is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meezy
well, i'm due for an oil change so i guess i should take it down to a BMW place where they can do that and see what's causing my battery to be drained. i'll keep u posted, but feel free to reply to the info i have supplied.
Had a similar experience with the "P" light on my X5 when the batt went dead. Also, when I put in the new battery the X wasn't really happy with all its systems until I took it in and they did a "reboot" of the system (i.e. locks, lights, alarm - all that is centrally controlled). Low voltage whacks these systems out.

Best of luck!

2003 330xi Stock, Prem Package, Leather, Cold Weather + Initial Navigation

2007 X3 3.0si Stock, PremPackage, Leather, Cold Weather, Xenon (Directional), Bluetooth

Need an excellent web host? I recommend BlueHost. Tons of storage, webmail, PHP/CGI/MySql and very fast. Most of all, excellent customer service. Click this message to sign up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)