My 2002 BMW 325ci needs brakes!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
edone15 is on a distinguished road
My 2002 BMW 325ci needs brakes!!

First off, I am new to the forum and wanna say HI. I've read many of the threads and I have to say I'm impressed on how all you really help each other out and share information. BMWs are the BEST!!

I got my 325ci 1.5 year ago. It had 32,000 miles on it. I changed the oil at 42,000 miles. Now it has 56,000 miles. My car needs brakes. The light is on and at times the brakes make a really rough noise in the back. That noise sounds like two metal pieces grinding together. ouch!! i know. I have to change my brakes asap and I need some advice as to how to save money. I'm in college (21 yrs old) and I'm on a budget and I hate asking my Dad for money. I know I have to go OEM. Can you guys give me ideas as to how to make this brake change?? I've googled brakes and compared prices but to be honest I really have no clue about what brands are good substitutes.

Thanks guys, im looking forward to your answers.
edone15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
aampsmb is on a distinguished road
2002 325ci needs brakes

I assume you are replacing rear brakes? Try Bavauto.com for your brake parts. I just replaced front brakes on my wifes 2000 323i and was impressed with the quality of the OEM style rotors and pads. They were from Germany so I suppose they were original parts. Don't forget to order a new brake wear sensor wire when you replace the pads. Make sure the sensor wire is for the rear pads as the wire for the front is different. Good luck
aampsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
amps thanks 4 the advice bro. i didnt know about the sensor wire... how much was total cost for the brake job?
Old 03-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I believe the total for rotors, pads, and the sensor wire was $165.00 or so. It will vary with model and year. Are you doing the work yourself? If you are I would recommend using a service manual. Bentley Publishers makes the best one for BMW owners.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I would also recommend that you take a look at pelicanparts.com

I have completed two brake jobs with parts I purchased from them. Whatever you do, DO NOT get Ate brake pads (Ate makes other brake products that work fine, it is just their garden variety brakes pads that are insanely dusty). They release so much dust that your wheels will look like you drove through a coal mine

Changing the brakes is not hard, but if this is your first time, be patient and do things with plenty of time and pay attention to detail. You should be fine with a DIY from bimmerdiy.com or even pelican parts. I also recommend that you get the Bentley Service manual for teh E46. I think it runs anywhere from $50 to $99 on Amazon with free shipping. It is absolutely worth it. Don't moan about being a student and not having that kind of money. This is an investment. I was a student too when I bought the Bentlyey for my car.

Do get a new pad wear sensor. It is simply good practice. I know you may be trying to save money, your income being limited and all, but it is best to take good care of your car.

One last thing: if your pads are worn down to the point that you have metal-to-metal action, you should take care of this ASAP.... as in yesterday!

Best of luck. Do ask if you have any more questions.

Once again, welcome to werkz
Old 03-15-2008, 01:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
ALRIGHT guys, I'm going with pelicanparts.com BMW parts: brakes, rotors and sensor wire. Total for these is 250.00 (for the rear). I went to the BMW dealership and they wanted 350 for the parts alone (rear only). For labor and rear parts was 540.00. wow. That's freakn insane. Anyway my buddy is going to install them, he used to work at BMW, for 150.00. Total cost: 400. Thanks my ppls for the advice.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
spfdfanatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by edone15 View Post
ALRIGHT guys, I'm going with pelicanparts.com BMW parts: brakes, rotors and sensor wire. Total for these is 250.00 (for the rear). I went to the BMW dealership and they wanted 350 for the parts alone (rear only). For labor and rear parts was 540.00. wow. That's freakn insane. Anyway my buddy is going to install them, he used to work at BMW, for 150.00. Total cost: 400. Thanks my ppls for the advice.

WOW!!! A $400 brake job! That is a lot of money. Brakes take about 30 minutes to change, and if he was a good buddy, he would not be charging you $150 bucks, I replaced both rotors, pads, and a sensor on my wifes car for $140. No, I did not go OEM, but my wife does not drive the way I do, and they will last her atleast 2-3 years. Now, when I do mine I will go oem, but, $400 for brakes seems really expensive!
spfdfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
FarhadBimmer is on a distinguished road
It's obvious that you need new pads however if it has just started the metal-to-metal grinding noise, you can take your rotors to a small machine shop and they can take a couple of thin passes from your rotors. They may charge you 50 bucks or so for both. It you need to remove more material then you really have to chang ethe rotors. Keep in mind safety is always first.
FarhadBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
One thing I forgot to mention, our bimmer recommendation is right.Bentley service manual is a good investment. It gives you a good over view of what needs to be done. It's missing some key parameters though but overall worth the price. I recently bought it at $85CDN with free shipping.

By the way, take my recommendation of resurficing the older rotors just for the money saving until you can replace the rotors, if you're in a very desparate situation.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I wouldn't recommend turning the rotors. They are probably at low limit on the allowable thickness. Just replace the rotors. It's cheap insurance against warpage or other problems.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Grumpa72 is on a distinguished road
Why not measure the rotor thickness and runout BEFORE you buy new ones or resurface the old ones? I don't understand the immediate jump to replace unless you know the condition of the old ones?
Grumpa72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I was told by several people in the know, that OEM BMW rotors are a replacement item. They are usually worn too much to bother turning them. When I replaced the brakes on my wifes BMW the rotors were shot. If anyone else can back me up, let us know your opinions.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1995 318ti 180,00 miles
Photos:
Ross Little is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Ross Little
Brake Problem

Have you considered Bavarian Auto Re-cyclers in L.A. Their parts are used of course, are guaranteed for a year and shipped quickly with Fed Ex. I use these guys a lot as I own a 95 Ti and it just doesn't seem financially prudent to pay top dollar for parts from BMW Canada anymore. As for instalation, my local generic auto mechanic had no problems with the installation and he didn't charge $108 an hour!! I realize there are some problems only a BMW technician can handle, but brakes are not rocket science.
Ross Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Ross, I just called Bavarian, seems like a good source and their FedEx to Canada was really cheap. Thanks for introducing them.

However, they don't re-sell brake rotors. I'm making a list of stuff I need so I can get them soon.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Guys, I got an amazing quote.

I got an estimate for the parts ONLY, to change the rear rotors and brake pads. Parts only turned out to be around $600CDN + tax. This was from a dealer. Then BMW dealer quoted me, if they do the work, they will charge me at $370CDN+tax !!!!! This will include the parts and labor !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unbelieveable eh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)