multifunction steering wheel question - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 01:26 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mikehoff is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
multifunction steering wheel question

hello all.

i drive a 1999 323i and would like to replace the steering wheel. the stock wheel i have now has no multifunction buttons, but i'm looking at the sport wheel with multifunction (its all that is available).

the car is bare bones - no criuse, trip computer etc. I am wondering if the multifunction wheel would somehow magically unlock some of these functions. if not - i dont care. Just wondering in my ignorance if perhaps, it might happen.

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 01:47 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I am sorry to break these new to you, but replacing the steering wheel will not provide any additional functionalities. I imagine you have done your research, but perhaps there is a three-spoke wheel with no buttons that you can get for the e46.Personally, I prefer the clean look over the buttons.

#3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 01:49 PM
n00b

mikehoff is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
thanks for the reply. i couldn't care less about the buttons. i just care about how the wheel feels in my hands!
#4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Ocean02 is on a distinguished road
What does it consist of to install a "sport" wheel on the E46? I really like the look of this 3 spoke style. Where does one purchase this?

Ari Cohen
2002 BMW 325i
5spd manual
#5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 08:53 AM
n00b

IveGotIssues666 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to IveGotIssues666
And answer your question. No it won't just magically unlock there is a wiing harness you will need to make or get from the dealer. But it only consists of 3 wires and is fairly easy to do if you do want the additional buttons.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Ocean02 is on a distinguished road
So you're saying that if you get the wiring harness from the dealer, and hook it up that the car will now have cruise control?

Ari Cohen
2002 BMW 325i
5spd manual
#7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 09:27 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
^^ If he is saying that, he is wrong. No, the wiring harness does not do that. One might be able to get the radio control functionality if the correct wiring harness is used, but even that is just a maybe.

#8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 06:48 PM
n00b

IveGotIssues666 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to IveGotIssues666
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz
^^ If he is saying that, he is wrong. No, the wiring harness does not do that. One might be able to get the radio control functionality if the correct wiring harness is used, but even that is just a maybe.
Are you talking about me?

Anyways here is the retrofit pdf that I so kindly hosted for everyone.

http://www.angelfire.com/myband2/ds/3543en.pdf

Basicaly it consists of 3 wires in the harness total. BMW sells this but... the catch is it comes with the airbag that has the button so it's a retrofit kit and costs $$$.

The cars that do not come with the multifunctional wheel/buttons have a cruise control module but it just doesn't have the proper wire installed to make it work by just installing the buttons and the same goes for the radio controls I know because I have done this.

Theres a 10 pin connector to the slip ring andpin 8, 9, 10 are dedicated to the multifunction steering wheels harness 2 of the pins connect to 2 wires in the LCM's harness that you need to tap. Those are for the radio functions, and the 3rd pin connects to a empty pin slot in a 54 pin connector in the ECU box in the engine bay. That is for the cruise control function.

Jared
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)