Mtech-II and GruppeM owners... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 09:11 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ACSTypeI is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Anyway.. long story short.. i've been complaining about the design of the gruppem for the Mtech-II bumper.. conclusion.. there was none.. the gruppem was designed for the standard 3-er or Mtech-I bumper.. blah blah blah blah blah.. see my post and pics here..

http://www.rennsport.com/forums/showthread...=&threadid=3262

before doing this I actually did a test run without the mods and just no foglight before buying parts.. i was happy with the results and thus the mod..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 10:11 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to woobiee
i dont quite understand.

i have the MtechII and gruppeM and it works fine with me even with the fogs
#3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 04:24 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by woobiee@Sep 13 2004, 09:51 PM
i dont quite understand.

i have the MtechII and gruppeM and it works fine with me even with the fogs
take a look at your bumper again... compare it to an Mtech-I (sports package) bumper..or even the regular 3-er bumper... compare the air ducting.. and look at the design of the gruppem..

the gruppem highly depends on the source of air from the fogducts.. which the mtech-II bumper does not have.. that's the largest and main source of air.. it's also why many ZHP owners remove their brake ducts.. because we don't have fog ducts.. so our only main source of air is the small headlight duct.. which just doesn't supply enough fresh outside air to counteract engine heat.. despite the heatsheild.. there's only so much a heatshield can do...

the M3 brake duct actually has a design in it that cups air and pushes upward through another air duct into it's own intake.. if the mtech-II bumper came with this brake duct, I wouldn't have done this.. and unfortuntely.. it's been discussed many times that the coupe brake ducts are shorter than the sedan ones.. besides.. i coudln't find the part number for the m3 brake duct either.. heheheh..

so in the end.. gruppem and mtech-II front bumper = sucking in lots of engine heat because there's not a large enough source of air to counteract it...
#4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 08:59 AM

woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute
my car doesnt have the headlight air duct, its a 2000 323.

330s have the headlight air duct.

im currently using the 2ooo OEM brake ducts with my mtechII
#5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 06:30 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by woobiee@Sep 14 2004, 08:39 AM
my car doesnt have the headlight air duct, its a 2000 323.

330s have the headlight air duct.

im currently using the 2ooo OEM brake ducts with my mtechII
Hmmm.. then I suppose your only source of fresh air is that small drain hole at the bottom of the bumper by the drivers side "splitter"

very small and parallel with the flow of air.. it just skims a little bit of air. You're probably sucking lots of hot air down. Try this. Go for a drive.. park your car.. push back the gruppem just enough to squeeze your hand in and touch the center part of the intake.. the tip of the cone, which is made of metal..

be careful not to burn yourself on it btw...

i'm being serious too.. it will be hot..
#6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 05:45 PM

Alrighty, i did my test; youll find it quite shocking:

-Weather was muggy, 70 degrees F.
-I drove the car for 25 mins (normal driving), gunned it at one point
-The CF heat shield was registering at 88.4 F (not bad at all) It felt kinda warm; like hot chocolate in a mug sitting on the table for 4-10mins
-Inside the chrome tip of the filter was registering 74.8 F. SERIOUSLY, it felt like room temperature. It was def not burning hot, def not warm. Its not 'cool' or 'cold' but felt normal.

So yeah...i guess 323s benefit the gruppeM more than the 330?
#7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 02:16 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by woobiee@Sep 15 2004, 05:25 PM
Alrighty, i did my test; youll find it quite shocking:

-Weather was muggy, 70 degrees F.
-I drove the car for 25 mins (normal driving), gunned it at one point
-The CF heat shield was registering at 88.4 F (not bad at all) It felt kinda warm; like hot chocolate in a mug sitting on the table for 4-10mins
-Inside the chrome tip of the filter was registering 74.8 F. SERIOUSLY, it felt like room temperature. It was def not burning hot, def not warm. Its not 'cool' or 'cold' but felt normal.

So yeah...i guess 323s benefit the gruppeM more than the 330?
wow.. no kidding.. that's pretty bad ass... do you have brake ducts installed with your mtech-II kit? I looked at your cardomain site and saw you had the part numbers listed for the kit and noticed you didn't have the mtech2 brake ducts part numbers listed.. I know some people don't have them...

if you don't have any or if you're using your old brake ducts (if i recall 323 doesn't have any), that's where you're getting the air.. the mtech2 brake ducts are different than the other ones.. it's straight through, completely sealed off from anything but the brakes..

kudos to you and your car.. wish i had numbers like that...

when I did a test awhile ago..

outside temp was 105

average intake temp 140-145... continuous data taken while driving..

wish it were 70 degrees here...
#8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 09:01 AM

since i didnt buy the brake ducts, i am currently using the stock brake ducts from my old bumper.

this is how it looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	12256  
#9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 09:02 AM

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	02.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	12257  
#10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 09:02 AM

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	03.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	12258  
#11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 06:01 AM
n00b

04-330-Ci is an unknown quantity at this point
noob question but where do i get a m-tech II bumper for my 2004 330ci? the dealer?
and how much does it cost?
#12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 07:30 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Ahhh.. that's where your getting your air. I've never looked at the 323 brake duct, but it looks like in the first pic there is a hole on the inside of it. The mtech brake duct doesn't have that. The M3 brake duct has a huuuge one at the top and a design to "scoop" air into it..

and the second and third frontal pics shows also. The Mtech-II duct fills the entire space and only lets air through to the brakes. We're actually now getting air from the same place. Except I removed my foglights to do it, whereas your stock brake ducts are too small to fill the whole opening and give you that opening on the side to let air in.. which is perfect...

If I were you I'd just leave it like that, which I'm guessing you will.. air to the brakes and air to the gruppem...
#13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 07:34 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by 04-330-Ci@Sep 17 2004, 05:41 AM
noob question but where do i get a m-tech II bumper for my 2004 330ci? the dealer?
and how much does it cost?
Best place to get it is from Pacific BMW.. call in and tell them what you want.. mtech-II kit for a coupe.. coupe and sedan parts are different for this kit.. since you have a coupe, an easy way is to go to woobiee's car domain site, he's got the part numbers listed for the front of the coupe..

if you want to get the whole bodykit, it's actually cheaper to purchase it all at once in one kit.. as opposed to buying them separately one kit at a time....otherwise you can just get the front.
#14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 10:52 PM

yeah i may just leave it that way. it does look a little goofy at times but i guess its fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)