Molding Problems - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2005, 08:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
rxpert26 is on a distinguished road
Molding Problems

I apologize if the answer to my questions is already on this forum, but I could not find it!

I bought a new 2002 4 door BMW 325 in 6/02. I rarely open the rear passenger side door. On 3/17/03, I opened the back door and the molding came off. I don't live close to the dealer, and since I never open that door, I didn't have it fixed until 6/03 during my yearly oil change. The dealer removed the old molding and put new molding on.

The molding broke again in the summer of 2004. I had it fixed again in 12/04, and it broke two weeks later. I noticed that it started leaking water, so I took it in again to have it fixed. It was fixed in 1/05. Both times the dealer took the molding off and replaced it with new molding. Two weeks later the molding broke. The dealership fixed it AGAIN in 2/05. I was told that they were going to drill new holes for the molding into the frame of the car.

So the molding just broke again (atleast it made it 8 months this time), water leaked in, and I have green mold on my seat (not the first time that has happened). The dealership just picked the car up today and said that they have some technician who works with BMW in Germany who is going to look at it. I think that might have been smoke up my . . .

When I called the service department yesterday (as nicely as I could!), I was told that there wasn't anything they could do other than replace the molding. The service rep also told me that they had 3 other cars with molding problems in the department that day!

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, please let me know what you did that worked.

What's the point of having a 4 door car if you can't open up one of the doors? At this point my husband wants to get rid of the car. He is sick of the floor boards and back seat getting moldy. I live about 45 minutes away from the dealer in Atlanta (horrible traffic), so it's not very convienent to have the molding replaced every couple of months. Besides, I bought a BMW because I didn't want to have a car that needed to be serviced often. At this point in time I have been to the dealership more than I did with my used Honda Accord--I bought that car with 70,000 miles on it and I put another 110,000 miles over the course of 5 years.

I am starting to lose faith in BMW. Help!

Please let me know if you have had a similar experience.

Thanks!
rxpert26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2005, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
jeremer is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same car and same year. Last week, I opened the rear passenger side door and the black molding came off. I noticed the three white mounting pieces came off. I am thinking if I need to bring the car to the dealer ship or just glue them back in. My car has 54K miles on it and has extended warranty. I was afraid if it's not covered.

And yes, I feel you on the disapointment of a so-called luxury car. The car has too many problems. First, the window regulator on the rear passenger side broke down, then the rear drive side, and recently, the front passenger side, just right after the manufacture warranty expires. Everytime, they told me they carefully performed a check on other doors. Then the brake noises. The car started to have brake noises about a month after I had a complete brake work. They told me 3 times I took the car to the dealership that the noise is within specs and nothing they can do. Come on, my current Mustang GT's brake is even quieter.
jeremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Jeremer:

Good luck to you. My dealership has replaced the white things everytime. I have a funny feeling that you are about to experience the same thing that I have! By the way, I agree--I only have 33K miles on my car-- 33K or 54K are too few miles to start having problems!
Old 10-12-2005, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
I guess I just have to glue them back together.

It is a common problem on E46 for window regulators. Just make sure you use them regularly so they will break down before 50K miles or it will cost you about $300 each. :
Old 10-12-2005, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry to hear this. i'd glue and make sure you do not disturb the plastic sheets inside and the drain holes.

as far as bmw: IT IS NOT AS ROCK SOLID RELIABLE AS A JAPANESE CAR. however, i have yet to find a car which handles and drives like a bmw, as opposed to an antiseptic honda or toyota. so it is a trade off a bit.
peterkulesza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car: yes
Photos:
zibby is an unknown quantity at this point
You right Peter! BMW is precision machinery.These cars corners, accelerate and stop swiftly.They put drivers in touch with the road instad of isolating them.Power delivery is smooth and linear with no significant dead spots or rushes of power, just strong, gradual propulsion.It is so smooth. that it`s easy to rev past the red line to where the rev limiter cuts back on the throttle- it is great!
Z.
zibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
I got nothing against BMW's performances. My car runs smoothly and performs beyond my expectations, but I do not opt for BMW to have the car serviced many times for these stated problems. If they can build an ultimate driving machine, they need to build the whole car accordingly. I don't mind to drive on my girlfriend's Accord even though it does not perform as well as my car but we got it for half the price.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jakksfor20 is on a distinguished road
Our 2001 325i molding on the driver's side passenger door has had the same problem. We paid for it to be fixed once. It started to do it again, so my dad and I took a good look at it and determined that the rubber on the door itself is what causes the molding to seperate. This may be sort of hard to explain and it takes two people to do.

Loosen the top door hinge and push the top of door towards the front of the car. It only takes about and 1/8" of adjustment to give the rubber a little more clearance. It will not do anything to the alignment of the door if you adjust that 1/8", but it has made all the difference in keeping the molding on our door from falling off and the car hasn't leaked water, so you don't have to worry about that either.
jakksfor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Jakksfor20:

Thanks you so much! I have told the dealership that I thought it was the door causing the problem. I will certainly give it a try.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremer
I got nothing against BMW's performances. My car runs smoothly and performs beyond my expectations, but I do not opt for BMW to have the car serviced many times for these stated problems. If they can build an ultimate driving machine, they need to build the whole car accordingly. I don't mind to drive on my girlfriend's Accord even though it does not perform as well as my car but we got it for half the price.

well they don't. so, you can drive an ultrareliable fridge, or some such japanese unbreakable appliance, or tolerate the annoying little shits that a sublime bmw will do to you. pick you poison.
peterkulesza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)