BMW Werkz banner

Mods that affect the Warranty

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Graphic Designer 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 325ci arriving in a few weeks, and I think that getting a chip in the car might effect the warranty. I am leasing it and dont want any aftercharges when I give it back . Is that true about the chip, voiding out the warranty? Are there other mods that can affect the HP that I can get that wont affect the warranty...exhaust (if so, any suggestions).

#3 ·
Dinan steps in and covers any warranty issue that a modification using Dinan parts installed by a Dinan tech voids the factory warranty. Some BMW dealers are Dinan distrubuters. The parts are more usually. Hope this helps.
Ben

#6 ·
dinan is covered in bmws warranty...but dinan products are expensive and is mediocre when it comes to performance.

if you want software, i strongly recommend the Shark Injector. It 'may not' be covered under warranty but you can always transfer back to the stock software anytime you like all by yourself.

to get into detail, bmw cannot void your warranty because you have aftermarket parts. Now if you got a problem with your car and they prove that the aftermarket part(s) caused the problem, they can void that particular warranty.

Example1: If you get an engine light: And the only aftermarket part you have are RIMS, they cannot say they will void your engine warranty because of your rims, cuz in reality, rims have nothing to do with the engine.

Example2: If you get an engine light: and you have an aftermarket intake, they 'can' void your engine warranty if they prove that the intake caused the problem. This does not mean they will void the whole warranty all together.

Most dealers will be nice about aftermarket parts. Only the anal dealers will void warranties. My dealer in my area actually promotes aftermarket tuning.

#7 ·
Most mods are alowed except thingn like interal engine mods, or "chipping" Usually doing a software upgrade wont void your warranty because its undetecable. Other things llike Rims, exhaust, and intake are usually allowed and wont void the warranty.

ALL of dinan's stuff voids your FACTORY warranty, buy they offer their own warranty.

#8 ·
DINAN only covers the warranty if you own the car. EXCEPT WHEELS don't do anything to a leased car. BELIEVE me, lease return can be pain in the ASS if you mess with a high performence vechile.

Most mods are alowed except thingn like interal engine mods, or "chipping" Usually doing a software upgrade wont void your warranty because its undetecable.
NOT TRUE. A simple ECU checkup @ bmw dealership will show, that the computer software has been upgraded.

PS:I really don't see a point for moding a car when it a lease and you are gonna get rid of it after limited period. Might as well throw the money in the lake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.