Misfire Cylinder 5 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 02:55 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gthoman is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hello All,
I have a 1999 BMW 323i sedan with 104,000 miles and trying to figure out a problem. I'm getting hesitation in lower RPM's and it seems to smooth out, but the check engine light has come on a couple of times and I just got the Peake OBD II tool and it showed that cylinder 5 had a misfire. From some of the things I've read, it seems it could be related to the ignition coil, should this be the first place to start? There was a suggestion for someone with a similar problem on another forum I read to switch out the ignition coil to a different cylinder and then see if that shows up when I get a check engine light.....Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 01:17 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Still having the same problem, haven't had time yet to switch out the ignition coil, but I did notice the other day that the check engine light came on, the car seemed to lose power when I pressed the gas and had some hesitation, but I turned the car off, waited about 10 seconds and turned it back on and the problem went away...Could this be the ignition coil, or something else...Hopefully this post will go to the beginning since I haven't had any responses.......Thanks...
#3 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 01:32 PM
What? No Autobahn?

jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
sounds like a bad coil to me. do the switch and you'll know for sure then. hopefully it's not a bad cylinder or else you're paying 1000+ to repair

#4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 02:15 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute
Could be a bad coil but I might change the plugs first if you have not done so yet. BMW recommended service for plugs is 100K, so yours may be bad and causing your missfire.
Ben

"It's not because I'm an aggressive driver, it's because I'm an idiot" actual quote from my wife.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 03:35 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
The reason it will sometimes get better after cycling the key is because the DME (engine module) after detecting a misfire will go into what is called "cylinder cutout" mode meaning that it shuts down the injection for the cylinder which it read the misfire in. So even if the faulty ignition coil or spark plug etc has come back online the DME is still cutting out injection to that cylinder. The reason it does this is to protect the cat converters from the damage that unburned fuel can cause. A cycle of the key will reset the cylinder cutout until the misfire is detected again by the DME.
Make sense?

DT

DT

#6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 01:48 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the replies, I haven't had time to change the ignition coil but I don't think it shouldn't take that long, I hope......The plugs were replaced at around 85,000 miles, so should I still switch/replace the plug? Or just try the coil first? And, I really hope it's not the cylinder......Thanks....
#7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 02:34 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute
I would start with the cheapest and replace the plugs first. You may find that the coil was not installed properly when you do the plug change. this will also give you the opportunity to inspect the coil for cracks or other problems.
Ben

"It's not because I'm an aggressive driver, it's because I'm an idiot" actual quote from my wife.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 08:14 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Great......going to change them over the Holiday...is there any plugs that are recommended, or ones to avoid? I thought I remembered reading about plugs to avoid even though they are suppose to be for my car....Thanks....
#9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 01:37 PM
n00b

dnanorton is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 2000 323i and just recently have had a misfire cylinder 2 trouble code. I have the big bently service manual to guide me through my repairs. I descided to change all the plugs and plug boots while I was replacing a coil. 2 things to note:

1) CAUTION The bently service manual has a warning note to only relace an individual coil with the same manufacturer's coil and part number. Why I don't know. It doesn't say. It continues that if you are going to switch manufactures then all 6 coils should be replaced at the same time. My car has Bosch coils. My parts supplier sent me a Bremi coil. Now the car is out of service until I can get it straightened out.

2) History. I have been chasing an intermittent hesitation at low power settings for a few months now. When easing on the gas at stop lights or after pulling out of the garage I could regullarly feel small hesitations. It felt like the automatic transmision was shifting through the gears. However, if I really stood on it off the starting line no hesitation was felt. No hesitation once up to speed at any time. Recently a trouble code was logged on the computer and the check engine light came on. The misfire cylinder 2. The engine was missing all the time and vibrating badly. Removing the plugs today confirmed a black sooty plug on #2 and greyish brown on the remaing plugs. Bmw dealer I spoke with knew right off hand what was going on before I even told hime the trouble code message and stated it was a common problem he had been seeing lately.

I might just go ahead a replace all the coils with the other manufactuer's part if they cronically go bad. At 60 bucks each it wont be cheap, but if the original parts are unreliable then it would make sense. I hope this fixes all the hesitation problems.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 08:29 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the information, yeah....it is pricey to replace them all....Over the holiday, I switched ignition coil 5 with 4 to see if it would start to misfire on 4 because when I looked at the coil it didn't have any cracks or seemed to have any problems. I have been driving the car for a few days and haven't felt the hesitation...yet..And for me it was not always consistent. I'll update as I drive more and check the status with the OBDII reader.......Thanks Again...
#11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 08:19 PM
n00b

69Mach1351c is an unknown quantity at this point
its def your coil. there is a recall on the original ones. take one out and check for a silver coating and that will let you know if they are the OEM ones or not. try to see if your local BMW will switch them out for free.
#12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 01:19 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
It seems to be running ok, which is weird, but I'll take it. When I looked at the coil it had BMW and a date in 1999 when the car was manufactured, so I assume they are original. Do you know the page where I can find the recall? Because I have a feeling it will start acting up again.....Thanks.....
#13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 08:19 PM
n00b

cynthiaku is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi,
I recently purchased this vehicle and I am having the same exact problem. I have changed the #6 coil and all plugs...still misfiring, loosing power...found loose wire today, repaired still misfiring. Service engine light is still on so I cannot get the car to pass inspection. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally posted by gthoman@Oct 11 2004, 02:55 PM
Hello All,
I have a 1999 BMW 323i sedan with 104,000 miles and trying to figure out a problem. I'm getting hesitation in lower RPM's and it seems to smooth out, but the check engine light has come on a couple of times and I just got the Peake OBD II tool and it showed that cylinder 5 had a misfire. From some of the things I've read, it seems it could be related to the ignition coil, should this be the first place to start? There was a suggestion for someone with a similar problem on another forum I read to switch out the ignition coil to a different cylinder and then see if that shows up when I get a check engine light.....Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
[snapback]209425[/snapback]
#14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 06:14 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Well, it happened....On the way home the other night the car started losing power again and the check engine light came on. I used the OBDII reader when I got home and it's giving me a misfire on cylinder 4, so it does seem to be the ignition coil, going to try to get a replacement.......And, 69Mach1351 if you have info on the recall it would be greatly appreciated......Thanks for all the help...
#15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 06:20 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I forgot to ask, does anyone know if I need to replace just the ignition coil, or both the ignition coil and the plug conector.....I'm going to contact BMW first to see if they will replace them, but if not, do I need to replace both? Thanks.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)