M3 Steering Wheel - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2007, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Car:
Posts: 35
Photos:
Pete2007 is on a distinguished road
M3 Steering Wheel

I have a year 2000 BMW 318 Coupe, and wanted to purchase a M3 Steering Wheel to replace my standard original steering wheel.

My question is, where can I purchase the proper wiring looms to get the radio controls etc to work on my BMW standard radio?

Any help or advice would be most appreiated!

pete2007
Pete2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Neutral Member
 
BMerViXeN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Car: 323i, 323is, Infiniti FX45
Posts: 84
Photos:
BMerViXeN is on a distinguished road
Your current steering wheel has the radio/cruise controls, correct? standard 3 spoke? When you get the M3 wheel, the wheels itself will have the wiring, which plugs into the exising harness in the steering column, after you remove the original wheel.
BMerViXeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Car:
Posts: 35
Photos:
Pete2007 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMerViXeN
Your current steering wheel has the radio/cruise controls, correct? standard 3 spoke? When you get the M3 wheel, the wheels itself will have the wiring, which plugs into the exising harness in the steering column, after you remove the original wheel.
Hi,

Thanks for the response.

My current steering wheel is just a standard one without any of the multi-functions such as radio controls, I believe its a 3 spoke one, it isn't one with a rounded air bag.
Pete2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Neutral Member
 
BMerViXeN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Car: 323i, 323is, Infiniti FX45
Posts: 84
Photos:
BMerViXeN is on a distinguished road
Hmmm ... doubt it's previred, and am assuming you already checked. It shouldn't be too difficult to DIY, although don't know anyone who done so. Is yoru cruise control accesed through one of the levels on the side of the wheel?

I would suggest two things, won't hurt to call or visit your BMW dealer just to ask and verify it can be done on your car, #2 you can visit PelicanParts.com and browse and see if there is anything you might find.

PelicanParts.com - BMW 3-Series E46 (1999-2005) - Electrical

hope that helps, unless anyoen on here has more knowledge about this
BMerViXeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Car:
Posts: 35
Photos:
Pete2007 is on a distinguished road
I've just purchased a Multifunctional Steering wheel from a E46 3 SERIES 52 PLATE at a very good price (too good to turn down) will this fit my car?
Pete2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member
 
BMWERKEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Car:
Posts: 215
Photos:
BMWERKEN is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BMWERKEN
The multifunctioning wiring should be preinstalled in your car. The thing you have to watch out for is airbag compatibility. 99-00 E46's came with stage 1 airbags whereas 01-06's came with 2 stage. I don't believe the two are compatible.
__________________

Call Toll Free: 1.888.JLEVISW
PREDATOR ICE OEM ANGEL EYE UPGRADE | PREDATOR CHROMIUM ANGEL EYES | LED TURN SIGNALS
BMWERKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Neutral Member
 
BMerViXeN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Car: 323i, 323is, Infiniti FX45
Posts: 84
Photos:
BMerViXeN is on a distinguished road
If the car was manufactured after 07/99 then stage two will work, I put an '03 wheel in mine and the airbag works fine. (and M3 uses same airbag)

Was a nice little upgrade.

check the pics

Olde Wheel

New One
BMerViXeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Car:
Posts: 35
Photos:
Pete2007 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMerViXeN
If the car was manufactured after 07/99 then stage two will work, I put an '03 wheel in mine and the airbag works fine. (and M3 uses same airbag)

Was a nice little upgrade.

check the pics

New One
Thanks for all the replys.

BMerViXeN, I have a BMW which was made in April - 2000. The steering wheel I purchased in exactly identical to your one but without the airbag. Do you think I could use my old airbag to fit inside my new steering wheel?

pete2007
Pete2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Neutral Member
 
BMerViXeN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Car: 323i, 323is, Infiniti FX45
Posts: 84
Photos:
BMerViXeN is on a distinguished road
Cool

Is t he original steering wheel equipped with the round airbag? You would have to check if your airbag is stage one or stage two and if the connectors will fit.

When you look at the new wheel you just bought, see if you have one or two cables (connectors) one would be green, second yellow if I remember correct. If your old airbag has two plugs then I think it should work. But you won't know that until you take the old airbag/wheel off.

Basically this is what I know and what I was told, any round airbag will fit in any sterring wheel that accepts round airbags. So I don't see why it shouldn't if your current wheel has the round one. I had to get the whole new wheel and airbag, just because my old one would obviously not fit.

If you have pix of yoru current wheel post them.

Hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete2007
Thanks for all the replys.

BMerViXeN, I have a BMW which was made in April - 2000. The steering wheel I purchased in exactly identical to your one but without the airbag. Do you think I could use my old airbag to fit inside my new steering wheel?

pete2007
BMerViXeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Car:
Posts: 35
Photos:
Pete2007 is on a distinguished road
Hi,

My current steering wheel has a rectangled airbag fitted to it, and the new one takes rounded airbags.

I've just looked at the new wheel and it has two connector, one coloured 'black' and the other coloured 'green & yellow' I'll have to take off my current airbag to see how many connectors there is... I'll get back to you with that, along with pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMerViXeN
Is t he original steering wheel equipped with the round airbag? You would have to check if your airbag is stage one or stage two and if the connectors will fit.

When you look at the new wheel you just bought, see if you have one or two cables (connectors) one would be green, second yellow if I remember correct. If your old airbag has two plugs then I think it should work. But you won't know that until you take the old airbag/wheel off.

Basically this is what I know and what I was told, any round airbag will fit in any sterring wheel that accepts round airbags. So I don't see why it shouldn't if your current wheel has the round one. I had to get the whole new wheel and airbag, just because my old one would obviously not fit.

If you have pix of yoru current wheel post them.

Hope that helps!
Pete2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
noise in steering wheel ksee777 3-Series (E36) 9 04-29-2006 10:43 PM
Would this VICTOR steering wheel fit an E36? (see pics) Delmarco 3-Series (E36) 0 01-01-2006 03:43 PM
Steering wheel noise on 325xi on right turn rms 3-Series (E46, E90) 1 10-10-2005 11:19 PM
Bmw M-technic 2 Leather Steering Wheel schneider252 OEM Parts 4 04-22-2005 10:34 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.