M3 or Dinan 335i? which is better value? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 12:13 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
VegasSpeed has a spectacular aura about VegasSpeed has a spectacular aura about
(Thread Starter)
M3 or Dinan 335i? which is better value?

I am between getting a M3 or a Dinan tuned 335i. I drove both and the M3 was a beast. I am worried that after all the mods I would be close to a purchase price of a M3.(shocks, chip and Oil cooler) What are some opinions on these two and if the M3 is a better value?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 02:02 AM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
This has been the subject of much discussion of late. Pending the test drive of both scheduled for today that was postponed till next Sat - here are my quick thoughts:

M3 is an 8 and a beastial platform on which to build later and doesn't rely on any forced induction to get where is does, plus has a high reving aluminum race engine. Especially if the prices are close, why mod a 335 to the moon and likely burn the engine at least a bit faster than just get the M3?? At the track and over many laps, the M will destroy the 335. Why not build from the V8 and get the much rarer, much hotter looking car to boot? I'd go M3 (even more so with the M option packages like dampening and M dynamic mode) - then add the Brembo BBK and some mods down the road. IMO pending a drive in both next week. I'm sure you will be happy either way!

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Last edited by RoadsterMadness; 04-06-2008 at 02:08 AM.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 04:46 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
+1

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 11:49 AM
n00b

VegasSpeed has a spectacular aura about VegasSpeed has a spectacular aura about
(Thread Starter)
I live in Las Vegas. The temperatures often get to 110+ during the summer. How much will that affect the 335i performance with the intercooler and such?
#5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:42 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
shouldn't be too bad, but there will be more heatsoak.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 05:03 PM
n00b

PeruBMW is on a distinguished road
the m3 is great for the track.however,for street driving i think it lacks torque.295lbs at 3900rpm is a bit frustrating for the price.
the 335 lacks the handling of the m3
#7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 05:12 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
There is a You Tube test drive here

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 03:16 AM
n00b

Kevin_abalos83 is on a distinguished road
Depends on what year e46 m3 your talking about. Of course 335i is always a excellent choice because you can get extended warranty with extra money but if you get a used e46 m3 and don't know exactly how it was driven you never know what could be the consequences. Yes e46 m3's are great cars & there is probably more parts available for it to but i mean if you get like a 2004-2005 that may not to be to bad.

Vegasspeed, i see you live in Las Vegas also. Send me a PM or e-mail at kevinabalos83@hotmail.com if you want to hang out with the local sin city bimmers.

2001 BMW 330i
#9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 08:02 PM
n00b

Pipinfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasSpeed View Post
I am between getting a M3 or a Dinan tuned 335i. I drove both and the M3 was a beast. I am worried that after all the mods I would be close to a purchase price of a M3.(shocks, chip and Oil cooler) What are some opinions on these two and if the M3 is a better value?
I worked for a BMW dealership in sales/leasing,I've test drive both cars extensible on my daily basis and on the track in South Carolina,trust me an M3 is an M3,the 335 is a different car no matter what you add to it,if you can swing at an M3 take it and you will never look back.... I have several at my store for sell,no added $$$$$$$$$$ over sticker.

Tap into the multi-billion dollar energy drink market
#10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:41 PM
5th Gear Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
comes down to this...

"WHAT IS YOUR DRIVING STYLE?" :-p

as in... don't think that you can pussyfoot an M3 and say you're happy and content.... don't drive an M3 unless you are game to the risk of getting speeding tickets-because unless u do so, you'll never get to enjoy an M3's power(gotta keep the revs 3800rpm and upward for m3 to breath right).

"WHAT IS YOUR PURPOSE FOR HAVING EITHER ONE?"

half a track car and half a street car? ;-) *think.... if you are contemplating on using M3 for an everyday car... (am sorry to say M3 sucks in traffic and on everyday driving conditions)

I am not the only one who shares that sentiment-even the reviews online say : "if you are going to do most of your driving on regualr roads and freeways, the lowly 325i will outperform M3 overall." so there!
#11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 12:45 PM
n00b

Kraft_E90_werK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse737 View Post
comes down to this...

"WHAT IS YOUR DRIVING STYLE?" :-p

as in... don't think that you can pussyfoot an M3 and say you're happy and content.... don't drive an M3 unless you are game to the risk of getting speeding tickets-because unless u do so, you'll never get to enjoy an M3's power(gotta keep the revs 3800rpm and upward for m3 to breath right).

"WHAT IS YOUR PURPOSE FOR HAVING EITHER ONE?"

half a track car and half a street car? ;-) *think.... if you are contemplating on using M3 for an everyday car... (am sorry to say M3 sucks in traffic and on everyday driving conditions)

I am not the only one who shares that sentiment-even the reviews online say : "if you are going to do most of your driving on regualr roads and freeways, the lowly 325i will outperform M3 overall." so there!
...I just bought a 335i and regret not looking into getting an M3...but you make me feel better about my purchase, since my car is my only car, meaning daily driven in any and all conditions.

2009 BMW 335i
#12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 01:24 PM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
Well, just to make your life MORE complicated, a DINAN M3 will ride substantially better (smoother, less jerky) than a stock M3 AND usually get better gas mileage too - FTW! I can turn off the Sport or "///M Dynamic - drive by wire" mode on my car and drive quite easily in city traffic thank you. I can also turn it on, turn off the DSC and unleash the hounds of hell on the earth whenever I choose too as well - FTMFW! Donlt get me wrong, a 335 is a terrific car - just amazing! Hey, I LOVE my 328xi and it FLIES both locally or on the open road, it is really just about more options. And I do agree that to get the full benefit of the M3 you need very open roads or to hit the track. It is a rare thing for me to get out of 4th gear on mine, even in the highway, let alone approaching 6th gear, which remains only partially broken in as you need to go 130 mph plus consistently or the car just won't have it -not realistic on public roads! Your 335 is also, thanks to its set up, ready with the torque you want as low as 1900 RPM's and consistently throughout the powerband. It is a remarkable machine! Again things have a purpose and being the strongest, baddest car on the road is not always one of them (It doesn't suck though... )

Enjoy and happy driving.

RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 02:00 PM
n00b

hpfpfailure is on a distinguished road
M3 FTW. There is a reason why they both exist.
#14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 02:38 PM
n00b

Kraft_E90_werK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfpfailure View Post
M3 FTW. There is a reason why they both exist.
Daily drivability?

2009 BMW 335i
#15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 04:42 PM
A NEW DAY RISES...

If it did not take forever in traffic and tremendous expense to drive (any car) to work - I would VERY happily drive my M3 to werk every day! My only concerns would be the same as with any nice car - adding mileage, risking it being dinged or scratched or whatever - not how it drives. I was able to easily (well, mechanically easily, not in my SOUL drive it 25mph thru so many small towns with a zillion cops over the holiday weekend. I got "passed" at 30mph by an old guy in a Subaru wagon who was clearly not familiar with how the cops wait for that. He even tried to pass on the right and nearly hit me. I screamed and flipped him off as I let him get by after pulling over and knowing he'd have a ticket shortly. But it wasn't my car that had any trouble!

TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)