BMW Werkz banner

looking at a 2001 325xi

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Bretthol 
#1 ·
Hello,

This is the first time I have posted on this forum. I am looking at purchasing a 2001 325xi. If anyone has any input for the car, I am all ears. I have talked with the owner and he is the first and only owner of the car. He has done synthetic oil changes and has an extra set of rims to go with the car for the winter. This thing is a loaded model. He did give me a heads up, the car has 48k mi. and has had the window regulators replaced. He told me that he thinks there is a BMW recommended service interval around 60k mi., so that is approaching. Also, anyone know what a clutch job costs on that? Also, I am a son of a mechanic who owns his own shop so would there be anyway of doing some of the work if I could get the service manuals without having to buy special BMW tools? I think the car is great and it won't give me as many problems as domestic brands will (I hope). If there is anything anyone wants to add, oh yea, my insurance (for a 23, year old with 2 small speeding tickets-10 over the speed limit), I have heard of the Progressive solution, but they are still as high as cheech and chong with their numbers. Let me know, everyone here seems cool, and I like the member with the animated flashing pic, way2go, very nice! Also I am in the western states and will be shipping the car from out east if I buy, anyone know of a good transport company?

Thanks, I guess I wrote a novel, oh well, I assume hooked on phonics worked for everyone!

:poke

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome aboard Bretthol!! B)

I'll take up your insurance question and tell you it will be high being under 25 because you are in a high risk category plus those speeding ticks aren't going to help either..search for an insurance broker that can find the best deal for you and stay away fron name brand companies such as Allstate, Geico, and Progressive..

Flashing sigs, must be either woobie or SoonerE39.. :coolspot

#4 ·
hey bro:

you cannot fight the insurance cost, it will be high. seconding some other opinions i'd stay away from progressive.

i shipped my 62 benz from la to st. louis for $630 via a reputable carrier (if you are interested email me privately i'll dig up my shipping receipts).

WHY X ????

it dilutes the superb handling characteristics of a regular bmw rear-wheel drive, it turns an already slow (EXCUSE ME, UNDERTORQUED) car into a dog. i test drive one recently, not impressive at all.

peter :bravo

#6 ·
Originally posted by donutchow@Aug 25 2003, 05:27 PM
insurance on a 3 series is really high, it sucks. how much is it going for?
How high? :naughty

#7 ·
Originally posted by L337E46+Aug 25 2003, 09:01 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (L337E46 @ Aug 25 2003, 09:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-donutchow@Aug 25 2003, 05:27 PM
How high? :naughty [/b][/quote]
my insurance is probably 1/4 the price of yours

#8 ·
Originally posted by donutchow+Aug 25 2003, 06:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (donutchow @ Aug 25 2003, 06:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by L337E46@Aug 25 2003, 09:01 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-donutchow
@Aug 25 2003, 05:27 PM

How high? :naughty
my insurance is probably 1/4 the price of yours [/b][/quote]
try me :naughty

#9 ·
Welcome aboard Bretthol!! :welcome B)

i can say that you will be expecting to pay a higher rate for insurance until you reach 25. your best bet would be to find an insurance broker. most of the 1-800 insurances may be cheaper than the broker, but if you have a claim, you will more than likely receive it from a broker much quicker.

#10 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome,

Well the one I was looking at sold. It was on ebay with a buy now price of 22,489. Not too bad, but when I talked to the owner, he had replaced the hood after he parked it under a jeep at a stop light. He said the body work was done by a shop that uses the same exact paint BMW does but I would have to see it. The only other two messups were on the front and rear bumpers, it was parallel parked in NY, where they bump your car to get into a spot. So I am still shopping. I did take into account what peterkulesza said about the power of the 325xi and the handling. My plan is to test drive the 325xi, 325i, 330i and the 330xi. Whether I can afford a 330 is another question. All the shops here want me to go new, of course, but then they want the lease, and by my calculation, I will spend around 50,000 for the 36,000 dollar car initially, so maybe buying it outright is the better route. I was thinking of the xi because of the mountain and winter driving of Colorado. I could always just put some really good snow tires on and have a rear wheel drive only. I always thought that the cornoring in an AWD even on dry pavement is much more desirable for tracking, if it doesn't load down the engine too much.

Brett :gulp

#11 ·
p.s. It is L337E46 with the great flashing pic, very nice. I was quoted around 2385.00 for every six months, its like another car payment. I know there is cheaper out there. I was also thinking about placing my dad as the primary and me as a secondary driver. That should help.

#12 ·
Originally posted by Bretthol@Aug 26 2003, 09:57 PM
p.s. It is L337E46 with the great flashing pic, very nice. I was quoted around 2385.00 for every six months, its like another car payment. I know there is cheaper out there. I was also thinking about placing my dad as the primary and me as a secondary driver. That should help.
Holy shit Brett that's steep! :blink:

I bought my car and put it under my Dad's name with me as secondary to save on insurance. I literally pay $500 every 6 months...

#13 ·
yea, I about choked when he said that. That was allstate, if I do put it under my dad, it will be like 628 every six months, not too bad there. I guess that is what you get for living in a state with the highest car insurance rates across the nation.

"Life is expensive, get a good job to pay for it all"

-Brett Carlson

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.