Lock Repair - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 01:30 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sprain Brain is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Lock Repair

The lock on my 2002 318i has stopped working and the remotes as well. Can the lock be repaired? or do I have to order a new one? Also can the batteries be changed for the keys and if so do they require reprogramming?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
You can change the batteries for the fobs, The keys may need reprogramming but this should be able to be done DIY, I believe there are instruction on here somewhere or try a google search,have you tried oil in the lock and turning with the key side to side, if its totally broken you will need a replacement, I presume you are talking about the lock and not the barrel.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 02:20 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the feedback.

The keys don't have a screw or anything to open them. I guess I would have to pry them open (hopefully not breaking the casing). I will search for the reprogramming sequence on the internet.

About the lock, I think the barrel itself has been damaged. So if I have to order a new one do you know where?
#4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 03:36 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
If a new barrel is required..BMW.

How to change the battery, firstly BMW have said you cannot change them you have to buy a new one (whole key &cut) but you can this is at your own risk and I take no responsibility....

Hold the key on end on a solid surface with the metal key pointing up.Take a sturdy pocket knife with a stiff blade and place the point into the seam of the plastic portion next to the metal key. You can hold the metal key and the knife blade together with two fingers with little danger of being cut. With a hammer, tap tap the end of the knife to drive the point into the plastic seam. The plastic seam will separate little by little and then, twist the blade to open the rest of the way. The battery can be replaced...(try Batteries and Battery Solutions - Rechargeable Batteries - Cell Pack Solutions) and magic glue the plastic back together and reprogram as instructed on various web sites...

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 06:51 PM
n00b

prowler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by marti5 View Post
If a new barrel is required..BMW.

How to change the battery, firstly BMW have said you cannot change them you have to buy a new one (whole key &cut) but you can this is at your own risk and I take no responsibility....

Hold the key on end on a solid surface with the metal key pointing up.Take a sturdy pocket knife with a stiff blade and place the point into the seam of the plastic portion next to the metal key. You can hold the metal key and the knife blade together with two fingers with little danger of being cut. With a hammer, tap tap the end of the knife to drive the point into the plastic seam. The plastic seam will separate little by little and then, twist the blade to open the rest of the way. The battery can be replaced...(try Batteries and Battery Solutions - Rechargeable Batteries - Cell Pack Solutions) and magic glue the plastic back together and reprogram as instructed on various web sites...
How do you remove the battery once you separate the key housing and access the internals? It appears to have some flexable conductor that is "welded" to the battery. It doesn't appear to be a solder-type material. Additionally, when I separated the key housing and pulled on the battery, the flexable conductor detached from the circuit board. I don't know if it will work until I get a replacement battery after I detach the battery from the flexable conductor. Any ideas?
#6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:45 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Not too sure if it will work. The solder was just to hold the battery in place. once you stick back the housing it will remain in place.

I tried reprogramming the key using the info found on the net, but still not getting through. Is there anything else that can be wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)