BMW Werkz banner

Leaking trunk on a 335 convertible – looks like a bucket is the solution

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  p1100 
#1 ·
Maybe I will put BMW on it with a dodgy black marker

I am very surprised by BMW and their commitment to quality. I bought a certified series 2007 335 convertible (sport, premium, nav) about 1.5 years ago and the car is now 4.5 years old, been a good car so far but I recently found water coming out of the handle inside the trunk. I took it into BMW to get checked out and the GPS antenna is leaking somehow.

I thought no brainer, BMW will stand behind their product particularly since I bought it from BMW. Not cheap either, $48 k with taxes.

Service guys told me that they would not cover the fix which was a new antenna worth $450. Ok I thought, not upset yet and will call BMW customer service.

Spoke with them at the beginning of the week, they needed to review the case and today and answer is ”forget it”. This is a consumer problem.

I really tried to get the guy on the phone to say that the leak was by design (since it is leaking and not a wear item) and asked that he send me a letter to that effect. He said no one at BMW would send any such letter.

The only thing he did say to say, to my surprise, was that it is up to the customer to understand what could / would go wrong with a car and that cars are not supposed to last forever.

He did agree to send me a simple letter confirming that my trunk is leaking and that it is not BMW fault and I should have known better.

Too bad really, overall I do like the product and had great experience with my last BMW (a 2005 545). Not sure what I will do in the future.

Maybe BMW is sliding down the slippery slope toward volume/cost over brand/quality. Thought I would post this so no one else is challenged by what BMW thought they should have known in the first place.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thats bad and not a very good advert for BMW in your area... I would ask other owners with a similar car/year whether they have experienced this, if you get a positive reply then it would be classed as a common/known fault and BMW should offer to rectify this !!

#4 ·
Is the antenna loose? Can you see where it's leaking?

#6 ·
I would look at it and see if it's loose and their is a visible defect. If its held on by epoxy then it's possible te epoxy has failed. They may have used something that was close to the end of its shelf life or other factors may have effected it. If it is held on by epoxy the best solution would basically be to seal the hole with silicone or equivalent and have it re glued back on. Cheaper then a new antenna like BMW wants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.