Key remote - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2004, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
interboss is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi to all. I just got my new BMW 318i E46 model 1999 and I feel like a king on to it.
After some days I noticed that my remote key was not always responding to "lock" and "unlock" commands. Sometimes it could work from a distance of 10meters and sometimes I had to go almost near the drivers door to work. What I suspected was that the batteries on the remote were drained and the remote waves could not reach the internal car's receiver. So I bought some new cells and installed it on the remote. I installed exactly the same CR2016 3V cells .
After that the remote key was not responding at all. By searching the forum I noticed that if you don't manage to replace the batteries in the period of one minute then you must re initialize the remote to the car. I have tried that also e.x (Get in the car, close the doors, put the key on the ingition, turn it on to the second position and quickly turn it off again, remove the key , press the unlock button and leave it pressed, and press three times the lock button, and after that leave all the buttons.) I have tried this method and indeed the remote key starts blinking for about 10 seconds. IT is said that if this procedure works then you will hear the doors locking and unlocking. Unfortunately I did not hear this and neither it works. Can someone help me plz?
I wonder though if it is possible for the first problem that the antenna receiver on the car is not receiving the signals because it is weak? Or even the key remote is faulty?
(I have tried the same procedure with both the master and the backup key)
interboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2004, 04:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
tcarpio is an unknown quantity at this point
It may be the entire key that needs to be replaced. I bought my car last June and the lock feature stopped working after 3 weeks. Dealer replaced it but was was still under warranty - cost is about $45 if you need to get a new one.
tcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 03:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Hmm, Here one friend of mine that had his key remote replaced has paid about $245.00. They said to him that they have ordered it directly from BMW.
I hope it is not the key. I am waiting for the representatives here to return from their vacations so that they give a check on it.IT is very strange though cause it was working before I change the batteries.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
melayanton is an unknown quantity at this point
I think youre supposed to put the ignition in position 1 not 2.
melayanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
2001BMW325xi is an unknown quantity at this point
dunno if I am missing sumthing but isnt the remote key supposed to get infinitely charged when its in the ignition ???????!!!!! Where the hell can ya replace teh cells in that ket....? I could not find a door or panel?? Please clarify!
2001BMW325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 04:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Behind the key remote there is a small cover. IF you remove it with a screwdriver you will find two screws. Unscrew it and there you are. Just remove the half of the key remote cover and you are in. Battery cells are supposed to be charged while on the ignition when they are "recharchable" cells. Mine are not.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
LOS
4th Gear Member

Car: 97 540IA, 95 840CI
Photos:
LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
Do a search under "keyless entry not working" for the 5 series forum. I posted the procedure from the manual. It should also work on your car

LOS
LOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 05:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I finally took it to the representatives. I was lucky enough to find that one friend of mine was working there and fortunately he called the engineer to come out and check it.
The engineer followed the common procedure as I have done , but he finally managed it to work.
What he has done that I didn't was that, after turning the ignition to the position two and then removing the key remote, he kept pressed the unlock button and then three times the lock button, but he has done it many times continuously. In all the instruction I found in the internet, the procedure was, turn the ignition to position two, remove the key remote, , keep pressed the unlock button and then three times the lock button and wait......
Just to know people, if you wait and nothing happens, try this : keep the unlock button pressed, and then 3 times the lock, and again and again very quickly.
Anyway, my real problem here is that there is no good signal reception from the car's receiver.
It might be the receiver or the key remote (might not transmitting high amplitute signals).
IF anyone has faced this problem, or if anyone has any idea about this plz reply.
I would like also to know where to find the signal receiver inside my car.

Thanks
Old 09-15-2005, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
kris1 is on a distinguished road
i have the same problem

just bought a 2000 bmw 528i. i have the exact same problem. looks like the receiver is not working. did you fix yours? how much does it cost?
kris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 05:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Kris, on the 5 series there is a fuse in the rear fuse compartment (above the vehicle battery) that often blows and will cause the remote to not work and also not initialize. I wasnt sure by your post if your key had poor range or is completely inop. If it just has poor range then disregard this but if it does not work at all check the fuses in the rear fuse compartment. Then if the fuse is blown you will need to replace it and reinitialize the keys. If the fuse continues to blow intermittently this is usually caused by a faulty lock actuator.. most likely the 1 for the fuel door lock.

DT

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)