Kenwood head unit installation help! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Bombay Badboy is on a distinguished road
Question Kenwood head unit installation help!

i JUST BOUGHT THE Kenwood KDC-HD942U , And am wondering how to install. The Wiring guide states:

So i have the following questions:

So i need an extra adapter from what is already coming out of the unit, since it says not supplied????
Where can i go about finding one?
I removed the radio and there are three connectors, 1 connector block, 1 aerial input, and what i thought was a ground, could possibly be the steering wheel input? The connector labelled 1 has a small 1 pin connector in it.

I have recently read you lose your steering controls when you add aftermarket radio, IS THIS TRUE?

I have subwoofers and an amp, and all the wires i needed to install it in a previous car.

I plan on installing a subwoofer with AMP, will i need all of the following connections, or just the L + R Subwoofer output?

I bought a dash kit from Scocshe Industries And they said in the manual that i will need wiring harness BW10B and it looks like this:

Does this look right from anyone who has installed an aftermarket radio??

The connector that is in the back of the head unit is a 16-pin connector. I have the wiring harness that Looks similiar to the one pictured above except this one fits into the unit.

I am assuming this is one of the cables that run up with the Subwoofer Input leads right? it turns ON the amp or something? Also what does it mean when it says And does not have any resistance. ????

Motor antenna Control, What do i do with this wire? I have no external Aerial, Is the one i have the film-type ?

Im new to this so please bear with me....
Bombay Badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
rgamble is on a distinguished road
1 yes thats the correct harness but make sure to use the blue wire on the harness cause it operates the amps in the car.
2 yes you will lose the steering wheel controls on a standard unit but a seperate devices are available to make it work.
3motor wire is not used. in the slot for the radio it s verry tight especially when you add the new connectorbut the kennwood is longer than the factory unit so i had to take a hacksaw blade and slowly cut the stop out and it popped right in. its a quick fix and my sounds great with the harmon kardon system just take your time removing the trim pieces.
rgamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
rgamble is on a distinguished road
youl als o need a european antenna adapter.
rgamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 2004 bmw 325Ci
Photos:
boss325Ci is on a distinguished road
youll also need a braket if you dont already have one
boss325Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Nfsplayer is on a distinguished road
what kind of amp are you gonna put in? i really recommend you install stinger voltmeter. without replacing alternator and/or battery, you can run ~500wrms amp.
Nfsplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)