BMW Werkz banner

Jim, Look here! 325CI smokes and stuck in "Limp Mode" Littel help?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Lord Vader 
#1 · (Edited)
Howdy All!! Newbie here!
My buddy has an 03 325CI w/151K on it.
The vehicle has sat for almost a year. We put a new battery in it and it fired right up. It appears to be stuck in "Limp Mode" (2nd or 3rd? gear). It did not reset by following the directions in the owners manual. If we take the oil fill cap off while it is running the car continues to run but it smokes like crazy! When we put the cap back on it eventually clears up. Where should we start looking? Hopefully this has been covered before and you all can steer us in the right direction. OH! there are no/zero codes picked up on a standard OBDII.
Thanks in advanced for the timely responses!

#2 ·
Not sure what your manual says,but i have a 2000 328i.When the gear icon comes on next to the P (park)symbol on the dash my car seems to be in limp mode.I will turn off the engine for a minute or so restart the engine the icon goes out all is well.Will get it fixed when i get the $1400.

#4 ·
Get the OBD system scanned for codes. The light is triggered by stored trouble codes. Those codes will give you a much better idea of what is actually wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.