BMW Werkz banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Stand...PROBLEM

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  drz 
#1 ·
Guys...I need advice once again.

Today while washing my car I discovered there was a nail in the rear drivers side tire. So I took the tire off and placed the car on jack stands for about an hour while I cleaned the wheel and fixed it but then I decided to put the spare on instead. (The spare tire is a Continental and the other 3 are Khumo). Now I've lowered the car and removed the jacks and the car looks higher on the rear right wheel. At first I thought that I must have left a jack stand in and checked but there was none! The car looks significantly raised on the wheel where the jack stand was...Did I do something wrong? Or is the suspension going to balance itself out becuase it was raised for over an hour?

Any advice at all is appreciated!

-Damir :arghtia

#2 ·
update...

I was looking on the other side of the car (passanger rear) and it looks like that the shock is cracked? There is a piece of black plastic that has 2 cracks around the shock...could that be the problem? The car only looks lowered because the shocks are shot?

I need advice bad...

I don't know if I can drive the car or not...should I tow it to a mechanic?

#4 ·
No, all the wheels are the OEM BMW wheels. I mean I thought that a jack stand I left was the cause, but it isn't. And now that I investigated the other rear suspension it "looks" cracked. I don't know how to describe it since I lost the USB cord to my camera but The long tube has a black bottom to it and there are 2 cracks going down it...if thats the case...would the be the worst that can happen? What would the parts cost and should I tow the car?

Thanks, I included an image.

#7 ·
if your shock is cracked..thats no good. Not sure if OEm shocks are Gas or oil, but if the oil/gas leaked out you have a broken shock.

how does the car drive? If you are on teh freeway and you hit a bump/hump in the road does it handle weird?

noises?

i would say replace the shocks in the rear with OEM. the rear ones are easy to replace if you are looking to only replace the shock.

But if you have the money you might consider lowering it? or just getting a whole new setup front and rear?

#8 ·
...if it is the plastic cover on the shock... that is just the dust cover. no biggie-just that ur shock seals will wear faster when the cover has cracks.

Actually, shocks have very little(owing to the gas inside) if any about car lift. But check and see if they are oily or weeping oil; if yes, start shopping around for replacements.

re-check and see the "series" of the tire u put on. series "60" tires will definitely stand taller than series "50" even if the rim size and width are the same.

Anywayz, at some point when u are able to... reinstall the old tire and let's see :) I don't think you will enjoy riding 3 Kumho and 1 Continental tire for long because the Conti is what it is... a spare! ;-)

Cheers,

#11 ·
Guys...I need advice once again.

Today while washing my car I discovered there was a nail in the rear drivers side tire. So I took the tire off and placed the car on jack stands for about an hour while I cleaned the wheel and fixed it but then I decided to put the spare on instead. (The spare tire is a Continental and the other 3 are Khumo). Now I've lowered the car and removed the jacks and the car looks higher on the rear right wheel. At first I thought that I must have left a jack stand in and checked but there was none! The car looks significantly raised on the wheel where the jack stand was...Did I do something wrong? Or is the suspension going to balance itself out becuase it was raised for over an hour?

Any advice at all is appreciated!

wow really dumb question

-Damir :arghtia
wow really dumb question

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.