Jack Stand...PROBLEM - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:15 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
revoMove is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Angry Jack Stand...PROBLEM

Guys...I need advice once again.

Today while washing my car I discovered there was a nail in the rear drivers side tire. So I took the tire off and placed the car on jack stands for about an hour while I cleaned the wheel and fixed it but then I decided to put the spare on instead. (The spare tire is a Continental and the other 3 are Khumo). Now I've lowered the car and removed the jacks and the car looks higher on the rear right wheel. At first I thought that I must have left a jack stand in and checked but there was none! The car looks significantly raised on the wheel where the jack stand was...Did I do something wrong? Or is the suspension going to balance itself out becuase it was raised for over an hour?

Any advice at all is appreciated!

-Damir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:33 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
update...

I was looking on the other side of the car (passanger rear) and it looks like that the shock is cracked? There is a piece of black plastic that has 2 cracks around the shock...could that be the problem? The car only looks lowered because the shocks are shot?

I need advice bad...

I don't know if I can drive the car or not...should I tow it to a mechanic?
#3 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:34 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Is the spare on a different size wheel?

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:41 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
No, all the wheels are the OEM BMW wheels. I mean I thought that a jack stand I left was the cause, but it isn't. And now that I investigated the other rear suspension it "looks" cracked. I don't know how to describe it since I lost the USB cord to my camera but The long tube has a black bottom to it and there are 2 cracks going down it...if thats the case...would the be the worst that can happen? What would the parts cost and should I tow the car?

Thanks, I included an image.

#5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:42 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
By raised I mean there is a bigger gap between the wheel and the wheel wall.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 12:38 AM
n00b

DUtrzan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DUtrzan
That's a good question, and honestly, I'd like to know the answer as well.

“Some are destined to succeed, some are determined to succeed.”

- H. H. Swami Tejomayananda
#7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 01:32 AM
W00T

Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute Numark318i has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Numark318i
if your shock is cracked..thats no good. Not sure if OEm shocks are Gas or oil, but if the oil/gas leaked out you have a broken shock.

how does the car drive? If you are on teh freeway and you hit a bump/hump in the road does it handle weird?

noises?

i would say replace the shocks in the rear with OEM. the rear ones are easy to replace if you are looking to only replace the shock.

But if you have the money you might consider lowering it? or just getting a whole new setup front and rear?

#8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:21 AM
5th Gear Member

darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
...if it is the plastic cover on the shock... that is just the dust cover. no biggie-just that ur shock seals will wear faster when the cover has cracks.

Actually, shocks have very little(owing to the gas inside) if any about car lift. But check and see if they are oily or weeping oil; if yes, start shopping around for replacements.

re-check and see the "series" of the tire u put on. series "60" tires will definitely stand taller than series "50" even if the rim size and width are the same.

Anywayz, at some point when u are able to... reinstall the old tire and let's see :-) I don't think you will enjoy riding 3 Kumho and 1 Continental tire for long because the Conti is what it is... a spare! ;-)

Cheers,
#9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 03:52 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Well...I am an idiot. I checked really close and the rims are a different size lol...The stock rims are 18" and the spare is 17"...but the exact style. So I am an idiot.
#10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 04:26 PM
5th Gear Member

darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by revoMove View Post
Well...I am an idiot. I checked really close and the rims are a different size lol...The stock rims are 18" and the spare is 17"...but the exact style. So I am an idiot.
it's nice to see a man who can laugh at himself every once in awhile... my hat's off to you.

Cheers.
#11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 02:13 PM
n00b

skang2535 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by revoMove View Post
Guys...I need advice once again.

Today while washing my car I discovered there was a nail in the rear drivers side tire. So I took the tire off and placed the car on jack stands for about an hour while I cleaned the wheel and fixed it but then I decided to put the spare on instead. (The spare tire is a Continental and the other 3 are Khumo). Now I've lowered the car and removed the jacks and the car looks higher on the rear right wheel. At first I thought that I must have left a jack stand in and checked but there was none! The car looks significantly raised on the wheel where the jack stand was...Did I do something wrong? Or is the suspension going to balance itself out becuase it was raised for over an hour?

Any advice at all is appreciated!

wow really dumb question

-Damir
wow really dumb question
#12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 03:10 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Quote:
Originally Posted by skang2535 View Post
wow really dumb question
And this thread is over a year old. Who is dumb now?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)