BMW Werkz banner

iPod Your BMW

12K views 46 replies 23 participants last post by  Misha 
#1 ·
Check out the new iPod adapter for BMW on bmwusa.com or apple.com. Steering wheel control is integrated. I wish I had waited on how I connect mine. I may have to change it.

#2 ·
W0W!!! this is just so cool!

#4 ·
WOW THAT LOOKS GOOD!!!

i RECENTLY BOUGHT AN IRIVER HP 140 - WHICH I AM DELIGHTED WITH - MY BM SHOULD NOW BE EARLY JULY (YIPEE)

I WAS TALKING TO THE DEALER YESTERDAY ASKING IF THERE WAS ANY WAY THAT A JACK CAN BE ADDED TO CONNECT THE PLAYER TO THE CAR - I AM GOING FOR THE SAT NAV (COLOUR SCREEN OPTION) WITH THE CD PLAYER.

HAS ANYONE IN THE UK GOT THEIR DEALER TO DO THIS FOR THEM - THE SALES GUY WAS NOT SURE WHEN I SPOKE TO HIM YESTERDAY.

THANKS

#5 ·
nice! getting an ipod this month and a bmw in november.... i'll be sure to have that installed :clap2

#6 ·
Originally posted by cakman2@Jun 21 2004, 04:31 PM
Check out the new iPod adapter for BMW on bmwusa.com or apple.com. Steering wheel control is integrated. I wish I had waited on how I connect mine. I may have to change it.
Can anyone who has this explain what they think (could be no-one does yet since I noticed web site said July 12 for installation, but who knows)

#9 ·
I wonder if the iPod charges and that the line is amped. if not I will probably keep my current configuration. Honestly I rarely use the steering controls anyway since the buttons are so stiff and not so easy to reach. However, there is still a certain wow factor. Now, if the track information (artist, song, album) flashed across the head unit I would buy it in a heartbeat.

#11 ·
To dado:
Bluetooth device (ULF) for e46 cost about US$500, it takes about an hour to install it so US$600 not that bad. But you have to have E46 manufactured after 03/2002 for bluetooth to work and you have to have bluetooth cellphone.
Mine 325i was made on 11/01. :banghead
BTW, Does anybody knows if iPod is Bluetooth capable device?
If so, should it be possible to connect iPod via ULF?
:drool

#16 ·
Originally posted by mattchapman@Jun 24 2004, 12:05 AM
Back to the iPod....does anyone know if this is at all possible for pre 2002 models (2001 to be specific)?
right now i dont think so which sux cuz i have an 01 also but it sounded like eventually they might support older models or i guess you could replave your headunit but im not too sure

#17 ·
I found some add'l info and have included a press release from BMW and Apple below. In summary:
* Parts will be available July 12, 2004
* Parts will cost $149 and installation will take roughly one hour
* iPod power will charge while unit is connected
* BMW head unit will control iPod while it is connected
* System will (for now) only be available for 2002 and newer 3-series, X3, X5, Z4 and Minis
* See ipodyourbmw.com for more information

iPod Your BMW: The World’s First Integration of iPod and Car Audio System

Cupertino, CA and Woodcliff Lake, NJ – June 21, 2004… Apple and BMW Group today announced the debut of the BMW iPod Adapter, the world's first seamless integration between iPod and a vehicle audio system. The new system developed by Apple and BMW, allows users to incorporate their iPods directly into their car’s sound system, enabling them to connect with music in their automobiles like never before. Now, iPod enthusiasts can bring their entire music collections with them, plug directly and effortlessly into a superior sound system while maintaining uncompromised control over their driving experience. The BMW 3 Series, Z4 Roadster, X3 and X5 Sports Activity Vehicles and MINI customers will be able to enjoy the new BMW iPod Adapter.

“Apple and BMW have outpaced the industry around the innovation curve," said Steve Jobs, Apple CEO. "This elegant solution enables auto enthusiasts to carry with them and enjoy their entire music collection everywhere they go, heightening their ultimate driving experience."

“With Apple, we're bringing the ultimate seamless digital music experience to our customers," said Tom Purves, Chairman and CEO, BMW (US) Holding Corp. "The BMW iPod Adapter provides our drivers with virtually endless miles of music without their hands ever leaving the steering wheel."

The seamless integration of iPod makes it effortless for drivers to control their music through their existing audio system and the multifunction steering wheel. The BMW iPod Adapter enables drivers to easily access their entire music library, shuffle songs, skip between tracks and adjust volume -- all of this with no loss of sound quality or driving control. Drivers can also create up to five unique "BMW playlists" to listen to while on the road enabling them to enjoy their favorite songs. The BMW iPod Adapter integrates Apple's iPod and iPod mini through a direct connection in the BMW or MINI Cooper glovebox, providing outstanding sound quality and constant power to the iPod while the iPod is protected out of view.

Available in both Mac® and Windows versions, iPod and iPod mini work effortlessly with Apple’s iTunes® Music Store*, the world’s number one digital music service, and the iTunes digital music jukebox software for seamlessly buying, managing and listening to digital music collections. iPod is available in a 15GB, 20GB model, and a 40GB model that can hold 10,000 songs. iPod and iPod mini use Apple’s patent pending Auto-Sync technology that automatically downloads an entire digital music library and keeps it up-to-date whenever either unit is plugged into a Mac® or Windows computer.

The new BMW iPod Adapter was developed by engineers at the BMW Technology Office in Palo Alto, CA. Its rollout is being supported with a dedicated website, www.ipodyourbmw.com, as well as a marketing campaign, created by Fallon Worldwide, that includes print, outdoor, online and television advertising and debuts on June 21.

Pricing & Availability
The BMW iPod Adapter is available for the MSRP of $149.00 (US) plus installation cost, and will be officially available for customers to purchase at BMW centers as of July 12, 2004 for 2002, 2003 and 2004 BMW models: X3, X5, Z4 and 3 Series. The MINI Adapters will be available later this summer. Consumers should check with their BMW or MINI centers for specific application restrictions or log onto www.ipodyourbmw.com. Installation is performed by authorized BMW and MINI centers only. iPod mini and iPod for Mac and Windows is sold separately, and is available in the U.S. through the Apple Store ( www.apple.com ), Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. The iPod mini is available for a suggested retail price of $249 (US); the 15GB iPod is available for $299 (US), the 20GB iPod is available for$399 (US), and the 40GB iPod is available for $499 (US). Please visit www.ipodyourbmw.com for additional information.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.

#18 ·
ONE MORE IMPORTANT POINT:
Do not confuse this new iPod/BMW integrated solution with the auxiliary connection that dealers have had for a few months that allows you to connect any MP3 player to your BMW's auxiliary input. Although it seems similar to the new integrated solution, and is approximately $100 cheaper than it, it does not allow you to control your iPod from your existing head unit, and has a few other drawbacks.
A few dealers I have spoken to have confused these two items, which is why (as you'll see in my post of two days ago) I received different price quotes.
In short, MAKE SURE your dealer is talking about the same thing that you are!

#22 ·
"3. See/Hear
View and control up to five unique BMW playlists and virtually endless miles of music. Your iPod adapter simulates the CD changer function in your audio system, allowing you to move between and view track numbers in up to five BMW playlists."

Doesn't sound like anything but Track Number, like a CD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.