Intake cam advanced to far - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 06:29 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
danbaub is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Intake cam advanced to far

Hi, I have a '01 325i that I recently pulled the head off of. Put it all back together and everything running fine for about a month then all of a sudden it starts idling really rough. Fault code says intake cam advanced to far. I pull the valve cover and sure enough the intake cam is stuck advance at the 12 degree mark. I wrench it back to TDC but it still wants to stick in the advanced position. I removed the vanos and cleaned it all out in case that was the problem but no help there. It was running perfectly peppy before this. It looks like I might be able to retard the intake cam on tooth looking at the position of the cam but it was running so perfectly before I don't see it running that smooth if I retard it one tooth now. My question is this, If the intake cam is advanced on tooth to far, would that cause it to maybe advance just far enough that it gets stuck in the advanced position? And wouldn't being one tooth retarded cause it to run rough in the first place? I.e., I have a hard time believing it would run so well if the intake was advanced one tooth. Also, it still runs fine at higher RPM's the way it's set now and in the month previous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)