Instrumentation All Messed Up! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 09:54 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dcsligo is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Just got a 2001 325xi 2 weeks ago, and I love it.

Week one: Blew two tires and damaged rims thanks to Boston pot-hole. I'm stil in shock over that one. I never hit pot-holes but this one was covered with snow and rain- .

Week two: I got a radar detector with the car from the seller. I plugged it in yesterday and since then I noticed all my dials have shifted to the right!! My gas meter reads an extra quarter full (how nice would that be); speedometer is reading 20mph faster then i'm driving, rev counter is sitting at 3000 with enging off! and thermometer is in the red.

Could the radar detector have done this?? And more importantly how do i get it fixed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 10:10 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Slvr e39
Hmm...there is a slight possibility it is the radar detector simply because it is an electrical device inside of a very sophisticated electrical car, unless you are a mechanic or REALLY know what your doing, you have no choice but to take it to a dealership or a good BMW mechanic. Good luck... Does it still do it when the radar detector is unplugged?

Dinan Stg 2 Phoenix Yellow M3
#3 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 10:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Cellardoor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cellardoor
Dude that sucks about the instruments, sorry i cant help with that . But you should go to boston town hall and i think u can get a form for them to reinburse u for fucking up your tires! my friends mom had the same thing happen to her here in RI and she got compleatly reinbused. just a suggestion good luck with everthing.

-Hutch-

<span style='color:red'>Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body. But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totaly work out, loudly proclaiming &quot;Wow! What a ride!!&quot;.</span>

<span style='color:blue'>If life passes you by......downshift</span>
#4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 10:38 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Slvr e39@Mar 18 2005, 12:10 PM
Hmm...there is a slight possibility it is the radar detector simply because it is an electrical device inside of a very sophisticated electrical car, unless you are a mechanic or REALLY know what your doing, you have no choice but to take it to a dealership or a good BMW mechanic. Good luck... Does it still do it when the radar detector is unplugged?
[snapback]314078[/snapback]
Yea, I unplugged radar, and it's still messed up. I could chance disconnecting the battery, but what are the implications of doing that?
#5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 10:39 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Cellardoor@Mar 18 2005, 12:15 PM
Dude that sucks about the instruments, sorry i cant help with that . But you should go to boston town hall and i think u can get a form for them to reinburse u for fucking up your tires! my friends mom had the same thing happen to her here in RI and she got compleatly reinbused. just a suggestion good luck with everthing.

-Hutch-
[snapback]314083[/snapback]
Thanks for that!! I'm going to try and get reimbursed - what a hassle!!
#6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 10:58 AM
1st Gear Member

2001BMW325xi is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry about your instrumentation but two things:

One disconnecting the battery and reconnecting is perfectly alright to try but remember you ahve to have everything shut of.....the car, the ignition the keys out and evrything close.....disconnect and reconnect as soon as possible....it should be okay....I had done that once when my temperature gauge just kept blinking and beeping in one cold day. It was good as new after the battery reboot.

Second regarding the reimbursement...dunno which place gave the other guy's mom her money back....the city is not responsible for that kind of stuff unless the damage was from an on going construction or similar sitiuation. Just a word of caution ..... trying to get money from the city..... ghead .....youll need coupla tanks of gas....new shoes.....and a whole lot of off time from work...lol . As far as my exprience with people I know working for the city hall in my place is that potholes and cracks in the roads are the cities responsibility but the drivers perrogative to avoid....strange but true. But you could still try if you spent a wad on it.

Good luck.....let us know what happened with the battery reboot....
#7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 11:05 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
A friend of mine got compensated also after blowing 2 tires on a pot-hole; so it's worth a shot! I have to call back on Tuesday, so i'll let you know how that goes.

I'll try the battery this weekend, I just got rid of the audi from hell - I'm beginning to think I have bad car-ma.

Quote:
Originally posted by 2001BMW325xi@Mar 18 2005, 12:58 PM
Sorry about your instrumentation but two things:

One disconnecting the battery and reconnecting is perfectly alright to try but remember you ahve to have everything shut of.....the car, the ignition the keys out and evrything close.....disconnect and reconnect as soon as possible....it should be okay....I had done that once when my temperature gauge just kept blinking and beeping in one cold day. It was good as new after the battery reboot.

Second regarding the reimbursement...dunno which place gave the other guy's mom her money back....the city is not responsible for that kind of stuff unless the damage was from an on going construction or similar sitiuation. Just a word of caution ..... trying to get money from the city..... ghead .....youll need coupla tanks of gas....new shoes.....and a whole lot of off time from work...lol . As far as my exprience with people I know working for the city hall in my place is that potholes and cracks in the roads are the cities responsibility but the drivers perrogative to avoid....strange but true. But you could still try if you spent a wad on it.

Good luck.....let us know what happened with the battery reboot....
[snapback]314109[/snapback]
#8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 11:20 AM
n00b

zzzzzer is an unknown quantity at this point
Man that sucks. First that pothole and now this.

I wish I could help as to why your instrumentation has gone haywire. Can you keep us posted as to what the problem is? Good luck!

<a href='http://www.j-body.org/members/zzzzzer/profile/' target='_blank'>http://www.j-body.org/members/zzzzzer/profile/</a>
#9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 10:26 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
So I lived with the messed up dials for a while until one day I was driving and my computer reset itself! Beeping started, dials died and came back up and clock reset itself. But after that, the dials seemd to be reading correctly! Looked like the computer needed to be reset.

I thought all was well until about a week later, the computer reset itself again!!

Anyone else experiencing this? What do I do?

On the pothole issue - I have sent letter to City, awaiting response...

Quote:
Originally posted by zzzzzer@Mar 18 2005, 01:20 PM
Man that sucks. First that pothole and now this.

I wish I could help as to why your instrumentation has gone haywire. Can you keep us posted as to what the problem is? Good luck!
[snapback]314127[/snapback]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)