Inspection II - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2004, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
drthompson65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to drthompson65 Send a message via Yahoo to drthompson65
Hi All - My 2001 325i is due for inspection II. When I called to set the appointment with the local dealership I was shocked to hear this costs close to $700 dollars! I almost puked. I was then told the dealership needs to do the work since the car isa certified preown and in order to hold my 100k warranty I need to show work records. I personally believe this is bullpooh and a person on another forum I belong to recommended this site. Basically the 60k Inspection II is a oil change, filter, air cleaner and HEPPA filter for the air conditioner. The parts cost $100 and I simply can not see $600 in labor to do all of this. Wondering if anyone in Minneapolis who's good at turning a wrench could help me out (i'm willing to pay for time). I sure I could do most to all of the work but I've heard the oil drain plug on a E46 is a nightmare. I've also never done the HEPPA filter so I wouldn't even know where to look for that one. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Duane
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2004, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Mach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond repute
I get upset when dealers try to charge an exorbitant amount for an inspection II. My favorite dealer in town charges about $300 for an inspection II. If you look in your manual you will see that the major differance between the two is that they change the air filter. On the older cars the inspection II was a major deal that did cost $700, most dealers have just kept the same pricing for the inspection II eventhough it is less work (I got this from the service manager at the other BMW dealer in town when I questioned there pricing for this service).
Ben
Old 08-03-2004, 04:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mach 5@Aug 3 2004, 02:04 PM
I get upset when dealers try to charge an exorbitant amount for an inspection II. My favorite dealer in town charges about $300 for an inspection II. If you look in your manual you will see that the major differance between the two is that they change the air filter. On the older cars the inspection II was a major deal that did cost $700, most dealers have just kept the same pricing for the inspection II eventhough it is less work (I got this from the service manager at the other BMW dealer in town when I questioned there pricing for this service).
Ben
Can you help me out with what's involved with Inspection II (Parts, etc). Thanks!
Old 08-04-2004, 01:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
white 330ci is an unknown quantity at this point
i think the HEPPA filter is teh one that filters out your cabin air.

it is right at athe back of the engine compartment in the center. 3 hand screws and the cover pops right off then just slide in the replacement and cover, even i can do this one.
white 330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Mach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond reputeMach 5 has a reputation beyond repute
A list of the required items to be done in in your manual. If you do not have a manual register on BMW's web site (owners circle section) and you can download it. If you do not want to do either of those you can go to the dealer and ask for the sheet that lists what they do at the different inspection intervals, it is a checklist and they just gave me one. Also if you are planning on working on the car yourself then go buy a Bentley Manual they are a little pricey but well worth the money.
Ben
Old 08-04-2004, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
ArchaicAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
I just did the inspection on my car, took less than 2 hours and was the price of parts (fluids, filters, etc.) I have a Bentley and it's all in there: what to do and how to do it.

-J
10&quot; Kappa Perfect 10.1
1000w Kenwood Amp</span>
ArchaicAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
ok. Looks like I need to order the Bently CD ROM manual and go from there. Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)