Icelink For Ipod In A Bmw - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2005, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
matchan is an unknown quantity at this point
I want to install the Dension IceLink for iPod. Has anyone here successfully installed this in their bimmers ? If so can you please give me a brief review???
matchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2005, 11:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Jellybelly is an unknown quantity at this point
I installed the Icelink Plus in my 2002 325i about a month ago. Installation was pretty easy, disconnect the battery, pop off the wood or aluminum trim, remove the CD player, and connect the Icelink cable. There were some issues with the Icelink Plus at first where you would sometimes plug in the iPod and nothing would happen, so you would have to disconnect the Icelink from the CD player, but that has all been resolved with the latest update. I love mine, it is the best iPod adapter I have seen.

I highly recommend it to anyone looking to connect their iPod to their car. You can either use the Icelink's interface, which uses 1-5 as the first 5 playlists on you iPod and 6 goes into the Icelink setup, or you can do what I do and just use the iPod interface. With the iPod interface, you still have control of the iPod through your cd player and steering wheel but the iPod just displays its normal screen as if you were listening to it with headphones.

The ability to update the Icelink is a big plus in my book. As with the prior issues, the Dension team worked really hard to correct them. The team itself always answered my emails and are really friendly and informative on their message board. I also heard a rumor that they were looking into having the OEM cd player show song info, but that isn't a big deal for me since the iPod is right next to my CD player. Also, if you have any ideas or suggestions that you would like to see on your Icelink, Dension is up for suggestions and welcome ideas.

The sound quality is great, just like a CD. Although, you will have to go into the setup menu and turn down the amp in the Icelink because with the amp at 4V or 2V, you get some distortion, so I turn mine onto 1V, which is the same volume as my radio. Other than that little detail, which you only have to do once, the sound is great.

The ability to use the steering wheel controls is a big plus, too. You can even navigate the Icelink menu through the steering wheel, which is nice if you are driving and need to change some setting.

If you use the Dension interface, when you turn off the radio, the iPod will just say, "Ok to disconnect" and will resume from your last song if you turn on the radio. With the iPod interface, when you turn off the radio, the iPod itself turns off. The iPod will turn on when you turn on the radio, but will be paused. I take my iPod out of my dock when I leave the car and lock it in my glove box, just so it doesn't attract attention.

If you aren't good with electronics, you can still install your Icelink. I have never installed a cd player in a car before, but I learn things quickly and I think anyone can do it.

If you want, I could take some pics of how mine looks and post them. Other than that, if you have the money, get one and get a dock connector. I have the one that fits on the side of the cd player, so the iPod is right next to the search buttons on the cd player.
Jellybelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
voca is an unknown quantity at this point
i would like to see pictures. i'm thinking of doing something like this.
voca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
thanks a bunch jellybelly. PICTURES pleaseeeeeee
Old 01-19-2005, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Finally got to take some quick pictures today. The thing in the glove box is the actual Icelink adapter. I ran it into the glove box because I was having to disconnect and reconnect it all the time before Dension came out with the update 2.04 which solved the BMW compatibility issues. You can easily fit it behind the CD player, which is what I am going to do this weekend.

The black plastic holder was a different story. The plastic peice was way too big for it to fit under the trim, so the trim was bulging out. All I did was take a hack saw to it and cut it in half where the plastic goes under the vents and above the trim. It solved the issue and made the holder fit better. The plastic is strong enough so I wasn't worried about breaking it while cutting, but I was still careful.

All in all, the Icelink is well worth the money.
Attached Thumbnails
Icelink For Ipod In A Bmw-img_0229.jpg   Icelink For Ipod In A Bmw-img_0230.jpg   Icelink For Ipod In A Bmw-img_0231.jpg   Icelink For Ipod In A Bmw-img_0232.jpg   Icelink For Ipod In A Bmw-img_0233.jpg  

Icelink For Ipod In A Bmw-img_0234.jpg  
Old 01-19-2005, 10:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
JellyBelly,

Thanks a million. Great pics. Just one thing. When you finally remove the CD player can you please take pics of how to remove the trim/Factory CD player ? Im a super novice and dont have a clue how to do what!!
Old 01-20-2005, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Sure. In fact, I had no idea of how to do it when I started. I didn't know how to remove the trim, I had never worked on a car cd player, and I had no clue what everything was, like the cables that were connected to the cd player and thermostat. I just jumped in and got my feet wet. When I came across a problem, I would look it up on the Internet and then go back out the car.

What year and model is your car? I will take some pics and type up a guide for you. It isn't hard at all, the only problem is fitting it all back behind the CD player, but I found a way to make it all fit. I should be working on it either tonight or tomorrow, but I might not get to it until this weekend. I will gladly help you out, though.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jellybelly@Jan 20 2005, 02:47 PM
Sure. In fact, I had no idea of how to do it when I started. I didn't know how to remove the trim, I had never worked on a car cd player, and I had no clue what everything was, like the cables that were connected to the cd player and thermostat. I just jumped in and got my feet wet. When I came across a problem, I would look it up on the Internet and then go back out the car.

What year and model is your car? I will take some pics and type up a guide for you. It isn't hard at all, the only problem is fitting it all back behind the CD player, but I found a way to make it all fit. I should be working on it either tonight or tomorrow, but I might not get to it until this weekend. I will gladly help you out, though.
[snapback]275682[/snapback]

Thanks a million. I have 2001 325i with factory CD. NO Changer.

Here is where I need guidance

1. How to disconnect -ve of battery (I remove the first 2 screws from the battery compartment but there is a 3rd screw hidden somewhere and I cant get to it and expose the battery

2. How do you remove the trim and the factory CD ?

3. Have you considered wiring from the trunk (its pre-wired for a changer i believe)

Detailed photos for the above would be WONDERFUL!
Old 01-31-2005, 01:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
any update?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)