I' "xi'ing" In The Snow - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2004, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
rsn48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well today I picked up my new used 2002 330xi and took it up to one of the local ski areas on the top of Mount Seymour in North Vancouver in British Columbia. It was snowing and there was about 6 inches of snow on the ground - nice and wet, great for all manners of slides and wheelies. So I tried out the "Xi" option with just all season tires and it worked great. The sales guy told me the car would work great without snows and I must admit I was most skeptical, but after my experience at the top of the mountain, I will say it performed very very well.

Nice thing about where I live in North Vancouver is that it can be snowing up top and raining down below so you can love and leave the snow. I took my son up in the new car since he is in his first year of learning to drive and let him experience the new car - and - let him experience it in the snow and learn its characteristics of sliding and correcting for it. He had a ball.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2004, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
KMP
n00b

Car:
Photos:
KMP is an unknown quantity at this point
I recently bought a new 2004 325xi and I'm looking forward to the winter weather here in the Washington, DC area which can be rain, sleet, snow, and ice all in the same storm. I've been very impressed with the all-wheel drive capabilities of the xi in rainy weather. No slipping or sliding whatsoever in the corners of turns. I've tried to get it to slide but the car just refuses to play along with me.

I've also got a Ford Explorer Sport with all-wheel drive and it handles well in winter weather but since it's an SUV it's top heavy and slides a bit.

Enjoy the 330xi and all the skiing this season. I'm planning on coming to Vancouver in early April 2005 for a conference. I'm planning to extend my stay so I can ski Whistler/Blackcomb a few days.
KMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Gulelin is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by KMP@Oct 26 2004, 08:03 AM
I recently bought a new 2004 325xi and I'm looking forward to the winter weather here in the Washington, DC area which can be rain, sleet, snow, and ice all in the same storm.* I've been very impressed with the all-wheel drive capabilities of the xi in rainy weather.* No slipping or sliding whatsoever in the corners of turns.* I've tried to get it to slide but the car just refuses to play along with me.

I've also got a Ford Explorer Sport with all-wheel drive and it handles well in winter weather but since it's an SUV it's top heavy and slides a bit.

Enjoy the 330xi and all the skiing this season.* I'm planning on coming to Vancouver in early April 2005 for a conference.* I'm planning to extend my stay so I can ski Whistler/Blackcomb a few days.
[snapback]218795[/snapback]
Through experimenting I have been able to get it to slide a little around corners in the rain, but I had to work at it. The other day it was raining and was rounding a wide turn on the inside and there were no cars in the opposite lane in sight, so I kept it in 2nd around the turn and in the middle I got on it hard. The car broke loose and understeered for a second before the traction control reigned it in. The DSC-X is very aggressive in checking any slide or yaw. I want to get it in a snowy parking lot this winter and shut off the DSC-X
Old 10-26-2004, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
EOD
n00b

Car:
Photos:
EOD is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Gulelin@Oct 26 2004, 04:21 PM
. I want to get it in a snowy parking lot this winter and shut off the DSC-X
[snapback]218825[/snapback]

can't wait for this my self either had a great time last yr every car park i passed on the way home side ways
Old 10-26-2004, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
rsn48 is an unknown quantity at this point
KMP if you're going to Whistler/Blackcomb make sure you have lots of room on your credit card... lol.

In actual fact, my son and I did manage to get the car to lose traction in the back end but you really have to work at it. There were four wheel drive trucks up at the ski hill going crazy last night doing wheelies as it was the first snow of the year. After my initial post, I took my wife up latter in the evening for her to experience the car for the first time in the snow and she had a hard time making the car lose traction in the back ( but note: younger guys who will drive more aggressively than her, you can still "lose it" with x drive). She was raised in Vancouver so she is a "white knuckle" driver in the snow (not your typical Canadian).

When you hit the ABS in the snow, it definitely felt weird; it was the first time I experienced ABS working in a "slick" environment. My son and wife experienced it to be "weird" as well, but the ABS did its job.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
When I first got my car I got a little over-zealous with it one night and took a really sharp turn(basically a 90 degree street turn made into a curve) at like 50mph. The ABS kicked in and saved my ass....that was the first time I felt ABS on DRY pavement, LOL.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
yubyub is an unknown quantity at this point
Glad to hear all of this. I'm taking delivery of my new '05 330xi later this week - can't wait to put it through the paces.
yubyub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Did you order manual or auto?
Old 10-26-2004, 07:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
M BMW is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi!! How are you? Guys, why do people buy the normal 330i's when they can get the 330xi's for a little more? Is the acceleration on the xi a bit slower? How slow is it?

Thanks.
BYE.
M BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 06:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Gulelin@Oct 26 2004, 02:13 PM
Did you order manual or auto?
[snapback]218910[/snapback]
Unfortunately, auto - my wife has to be able to drive it. Family car

I'd really like it if we could get SMG in the xi series - it would be the best of both worlds for me. My wife could definitely learn to shift easy enough - it's the clutch that I think would be the problem.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by M BMW@Oct 26 2004, 08:28 PM
Hi!! How are you? Guys, why do people buy the normal 330i's when they can get the 330xi's for a little more? Is the acceleration on the xi a bit slower? How slow is it?
[snapback]219070[/snapback]
It's slightly more sluggish in acceleration (very slightly - the xi is still loads of fun to drive, and handles like a dream - the 330i is just slightly better).

I test drove a 330i followed by a 330xi and the performance/handling characteristics were very similar. The xi was on the road like glue - I had a very difficult time shaking it loose around tight corners and such. Keep in mind that I'm not looking to race or such - I wanted a fun car that would be safe for my newborn son and wife. The 330xi was the perfect marriage of fun and family for me.

Most impressive about the 330xi was the fact that is still felt [generally] like a rear wheel drive car. I felt none of the steering wheel/front end pulling which is typical of AWD and FWD cars. Even the 05' Audi A4 had a certain amount of front end pull to it (and didn't handle _nearly_ as well - it was quite disappointing in that respect).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)