Hybrid Bimmers - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

View Poll Results: If BMW came out with a Hybrid 325i I would....
be elated that now Bimmer is green conscious! 5 38.46%
nah I will never buy a hybrid Bimmer ever! 3 23.08%
only if its a hybrid between z4, 330Ci and a Lamborghini 4 30.77%
whats a hybrid? 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 11:53 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kulbiker is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Hybrid Bimmers

Okay now that I have your attention with the heading......its not what yu thinking. There is no Hybrid bimmers but would you want one? Would you buy a say M3 Hybrid that gives 50 mpg but has 50 hp less or none of the handling? I mean i know none of the Eurocars have come up with Hybrids yet.....but just wanna sounding board regarding what the bimmer drivers think of Hybrids?

01 325 xi E46 Bimmer Titanium.....FAST
99 600cc Suzuki GSX-R Blue..........FASTER
My stupid temper.......FASTEST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
i wouldnt buy it... i have faith in bmw that they can make an economical car with out going to electric, some how...
#3 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 09:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Hootie is on a distinguished road
You might sing a different tune, saltshaker, if gas continues on it's upwards trend. I'm expecting $4/gallon this summer, probably never again dropping below $2.50/gallon unless something drastic happens with the petroleum industry.

If BMW could build a hybrid that drove the same as my current E46, I'd consider buying one. Things I don't want to see in my BMW hybrid:

1) Euro size like Honda and Toyota are releasing.
2) Noticeable loss of power. Keep the HP/Torque to around the 200/200 range.
3) Removal of that fun driving spirit. I like my suspension and handling characteristics.
4) Ethanol optional engines. Ethanol is a waste of energy, literally. Don't waste money on something "trendy".

If they can meet these goals, I'd love to see a Bimmer hybrid.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 11:22 AM
n00b

Kulbiker is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Well unless those kraut engineers can pull off another motor marvel you have got to assume that a Hybrid Bimmer would have to be smaller, would have to be made of lighter alloy metals (different handling props), the power will have to go (not a whole lot but noticeable to those who care), Ofcourse that famed Bimmer engine will now share space with a gross electronic contraption. So taking all that into account.......why then go for a bimmer...i would prefer to buy the cheaper Toyota or Honda....or would I?...well we never know but with the gas prices I think the euro makers will have to buckle under the demand for a more economical vehicle like the american makers are now doing so under onslaught of the ricer cars.

01 325 xi E46 Bimmer Titanium.....FAST
99 600cc Suzuki GSX-R Blue..........FASTER
My stupid temper.......FASTEST
#5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 11:33 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
The issue with hybrids is that they are so expensive that making up for it with gas savings takes a while. Furthermore, I am pretty sure BMW wouldn't ever try to market an m3 hybrid. The M division is about power and performance. All their cars are less efficient than non M BMWs. I can see BMW going for one bybrid model in each of a few series, like a hybrid 1,3,5, and x3, maybe. Will it happen? Who knows.

#6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 10:13 AM
3rd Gear Member

peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
well:

bmw is testing a hybrid, it uses a STEAM !!! engine to help the gas motor. generates steam in a closed circuit form the exhaust heat. more power, less fuel consumption. handling likely unaffectyed, as the system adds weight mid-car.
#7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 12:59 PM
LYFE SUCK5

Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Ivan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulbiker
Okay now that I have your attention with the heading......its not what yu thinking. There is no Hybrid bimmers but would you want one? Would you buy a say M3 Hybrid that gives 50 mpg but has 50 hp less or none of the handling? I mean i know none of the Eurocars have come up with Hybrids yet.....but just wanna sounding board regarding what the bimmer drivers think of Hybrids?

i thought you meant civics and the like that people try to make look like bmws :lol:
#8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 01:53 PM
5th Gear Member

325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
To hell with hybrids, I feel BMW should continue persuing their hydrogen cars.

http://www.myspace.com/330xigirl
Come see me at MySpace
#9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 02:06 PM
LYFE SUCK5

Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Ivan
whatever happened to solar powered cars?:lol: :lol:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)