How to execute "engine brake" properly? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 02:35 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Superbug is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
How to execute "engine brake" properly?

Bought a 2006 325i about 3 months ago, it was my first manual and I had never driven manual before that. I use so called "engine brake" intermittently, both under highway and local traffic speeds. What I do is after I shift to a lower gear, I slowly ease out the cluth and let input and output shaft sync up without so called "rev match". This is the proper way of performing an engine brake or I am going to wear out transmission prematurely? Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 02:57 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
You should blip the throttle to make the engine match the revs. The way you're doing it will wear on the transmission synchronizers (they are doing the rev match for you).

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 03:00 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks a lot.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 03:24 PM
3rd Gear Member

Nick_318is is on a distinguished road
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nick_318is
Yeah you need to blip the throttle to rev match on the downshift, you will get a smoother shift as a result (no jerking).

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammahamma View Post
If I wanted to date you, I would have bought you dinner first.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 03:44 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Not only that, but a lot of the wear is on the clutch, too. Blip the throttle up to where it should be given the speed and gear, then ease out the clutch.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 05:26 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
So here I come sounding like a broken record:

Blip the accelerator to rev match before letting off the clutch. You don't want to stress your clutch.

Furthermore, I usually rev match plenty of time ahead of when I need to slow down, and only after I have downshifted do I actually hit the brakes. You must be thinking, "but that isn't engine braking at all." You would be correct. I avoid engine braking, which places stress on the exhaust valves. I recommend all drivers of manuals do the same. I use my brakes to slow down -- not my engine.

#7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 12:04 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
O_O Can you explain the stress on the exhaust valves bit please?

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 10:50 AM
3rd Gear Member

Nick_318is is on a distinguished road
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nick_318is
+1 DRZ, the brakes are for slowing down not the engine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammahamma View Post
If I wanted to date you, I would have bought you dinner first.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 12:19 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
what's the sequence for a proper enginine brake? I found it not very effective to rev up the engine in order to slow down a car quickly, since the car is basically told to accelerate while the intention is to slow down.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 07:33 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbug View Post
what's the sequence for a proper enginine brake? I found it not very effective to rev up the engine in order to slow down a car quickly, since the car is basically told to accelerate while the intention is to slow down.
If you want to slow down your car quickly, then use traditional brakes. Engine braking is not meant to slow you down quickly--but it will slow you down.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 08:18 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Prof View Post
If you want to slow down your car quickly, then use traditional brakes. Engine braking is not meant to slow you down quickly--but it will slow you down.
I agree.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)