How does $29.95 for Oil Change become $94.95! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 05:28 PM
quality

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Question How does $29.95 for Oil Change become $94.95!

YES! I did a SEARCH and didn't find my answer.
and NO! As long as I have a job and money in the bank I will never change my oil myself.(I will do just about every nasty ass DIY there is, but I will never want to change oil in my driveway)

So the story goes:
On Friday I decided it was time for my first CASTROL Oil Change and I went out to get it done during my lunch hour (my 2001 330i has 43,350 miles at current and came to me with 37,017 miles on the odo last september).

I took it to where I usually take my gfriend's 2008 Accord and where I usually pay $29.95 for everything. The little greaseball of a guy tells me
"Oh it is a BMW you have there, What year? What make?..........Oil change for you my friend 94.95 plus tax!"

My response was to reverse out of there quickly. When I drive the Accord there, he never asks me what year it is or model, but the BMW is so special that he now needs that info to calculate a fee!?
I have never heard that price for an oil change before! Even my old 1995 318i was $40 to $50 for Oil Changes and I only paid more because I got the impression that is was a luxury BMW and it had high mileage (130,000+). This time, I have a repsectively new BMW and the oil change is now $100!

Seriously, how much are oil changes for the E46?

Most threads I found from searching are about how to change the oil, and not how much you should pay should you decide to take it in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
Dude is is a BMW and requires good quality syn. Oil... my 7 is about $90 to change the oil... your comparing a cheap accord to an expensive sports car.... you once again fail... BTW I though the dick theard was the last thread? so that makes you a liar correct?

Edit: just looked at my Papers it is about 50-60 in oil(depending on mobil 1 or BMW oil from dealer) at 22 for the filter so $72 then you add the labor cause your too uppity to actually DIY it thats a good deal

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious

Last edited by AlpineSixAndSeven; 02-28-2009 at 06:03 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 05:52 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
A6&7, some way f helping a fellow member out By the way, an Accord is not necessarily cheap, and a 3 series is most definitely not a sports car.

Del, That is absolutely not right. You are probably having to pay extra for synthetic and for the rarity (as far as they are concerned) of the filter. You should look around for a better deal. Ask RoadsterMadness and Teh Prof how much they get charged for oil changes and where they take their cars Another option is to find someone who will change your oil if you provide the oil and filter. Then you are only talking about labor.

Five years ago, the oil change for my E36 was $125 at the dealership in BMW of Northwest Arkansas. I've heard up to $175 here in TX. My very first oil change on the E36 back in 2004 was the only one I paid for. I shamefully admit I took it to a Wal-Mart, and paid around $70.

Where did you have the oil changed for your 318i? [edit: just read you mention your E36]

Keep in mind that synthetic will last you a lot longer than the dyno oil in the Accord. I change my oil every 6k miles, but the dealership swears that it can last anywhere fromm 7.5k to 15k. If you change your oil every 10k miles, you're spending the same per mile than your GF is on the Accord (assuming oil changes every 3k miles). If you change your oil every $6k, you are spending an extra $5 per 1000 miles on your car than on the Honda.

An independent mechanic will probably charge you about the same: parts will be about $35, and you will probably get charged for one hour of labor at around $60 - $80. You can always try what I suggested above about providing the consumables.

It really is a shame that you won't do your own oil changes. The fact that I will do my own maintenance work was a big factor for me deciding whether to buy a BMW.

So, to answer your question, expect to pay from $75 - $200 for an oil change.

Good luck.

#4 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Same here.. the work I'm doing restoring my 8 would have cost me about $4,000-6,000 if i took it to a dealership.. so far I'm under $2,000 doing labor myself.

#5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Delmarco: The little greaseball of a guy tells me
"Oh it is a BMW you have there, What year? What make?..........Oil change for you my friend 94.95 plus tax!"
^
He forgot to ask you one other question when he said, "Oh it is a BMW you have there, How deep is your wallet?

Quote:
drz: It really is a shame that you won't do your own oil changes. The fact that I will do my own maintenance work was a big factor for me deciding whether to buy a BMW.

So, to answer your question, expect to pay from $75 - $200 for an oil change.
I agree 100% with drz....&
I am a little confused, you do all your other work yourself & save tons of money, why would you pay someone else $60.00 labor to take out your oil filter & remove that little drain plug.....which takes all about 20 minutes.

p.s. Oil changes on BMW's are so much easier to do, with the oil filters be right there on top.....it actually takes me longer to do the oil changes on my Nissan Altima & Honda Odyssey.....

#6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:22 PM

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Sorry just del is REALLY annoying now... and the 3 series is a sports sedan right? also i was in a new Accord and EVERTHING had a real cheap feel to it... like it is build of poor materals....

I am Captain Obvious
#7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 08:04 PM
n00b

bimmer_over_wife is on a distinguished road
This guys comments are always negative towards bimmers....Jealousy can do this, i doubt he can afford one so he takes his anger on us lol
#8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_over_wife View Post
This guys comments are always negative towards bimmers....Jealousy can do this, i doubt he can afford one so he takes his anger on us lol
I love this guy

I am Captain Obvious
#9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 09:05 PM
n00b

bimmer_over_wife is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven View Post
I love this guy
My Man
#10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 01:46 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
This is the tech section. This is where people come and ask questions and get help/advice for their cars. Please keep your replies relevant.

#11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 02:14 AM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
$90 sounds about right. I do mine every now and then but I usually have it done when I bring my car to the shop for routine maintenance. It doesn't bother me too much.
#12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 04:37 AM
5th Gear Member

denyo77 is on a distinguished road
Garage
my oil changes cost about 40 bucks

filter included

I take 10W40 oil

#13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 02:00 PM

^ but yours is not a newer bmw it doesn't require $6+ a quart oil(I bought Mobil 1 Extended performace in bulk and got a steal at $3.20 a quart!)

I am Captain Obvious
#14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 05:28 AM
5th Gear Member

denyo77 is on a distinguished road
Garage
^yup and thats another thing I love about my car. The maintenance is not that expensive. I've got a garage full of parts because my brother has a 4-door 325e...
some are for the 2-door, some are for the Touring...
we even have an old 324d Diesel engine

#15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 06:01 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
My oil change DIY:

Oil full synth 5W-40 = $43

Filter = $13

Old oil disposal = free

Total=$56.00

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)