BMW Werkz banner

hose problem

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Lord Vader 
#1 ·
Driving home this evening, a huge amount of steam started coming from under the hood. When I opened it, I found that the hose coming out of the radiator and going into the engine had come off. There only appears to be a smooth metal band around the end. How do I reattach it? Can I just put a regular clamp over the end?

Also, how much coolant do I need to put back in. I'm guessing that everything that was in there has been lost. Is it ok to refill with just water?

#2 ·
The hoses get soft over time and can pop off. You can put t back on with the hose clamp but I strongly recommend replacing the hose altogether. This happened to me once and it sucks. The hoses are cheap enough that it's worth replacing them to prevent this happening again.

DO NOT refill with just water. First you need to figure out of you have blue BMW coolant or green Prestone coolant. Don't mix the two if you don't have too. They are pretty much the same but I believe in stocking with what's already in their. Prestone collar is available as a premixed solution or a concentrated solution. Don't just add water, add coolant. If you add the concentrated solution you need to mix it with equal parts water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.