Hesitating On Bmw Purchase (scared Of Problems) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2004, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
djinferno is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi, I'm new to this board and the obvious reason for my joining the site is that I want to purchase a BMW...

I'm looking at a used 2000 328CI that has 82000 Milles on it...

I told people in my surroundings about the car but everyone seems to be telling me to look for something else, that I was buying myself a problem...

So obviously, I started doing some research and as they said, all the boards seem to have flagrant issues with the BMWs that make me hesitate on my purchase

Now carfax sais the car is good, I got the service reports from BMW but they only tell me when the car was in, not what got done....

The car seems legit, am I asking for trouble or is it that I'm only hearing about the guys who have problems? Should I just forget about it and find me something else or can a car with that many milles on it be trouble free?

Thanks for the imput
djinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2004, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: Dinan Stg 1 M3
Photos:
Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Slvr e39
BMW = ultimate driving machine

It isn't even first year e46, you are fine. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with e46's PERIOD.

just make sure its a manual <_<

Sorry I couldn't be of more help
Old 12-25-2004, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
laos07 is an unknown quantity at this point
thats a lot of miles 82000 in a 5 year period i think you should find one with less mileage
Old 12-25-2004, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
'89 635 csi is an unknown quantity at this point
That milage is nothing for a BMW.
Has it been certified?
'84 528e - Soon to be 533i
'96 Jeep Cherokee 4WD
OO=[][]=OO
'89 635 csi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Slvr e39@Dec 25 2004, 08:06 PM
BMW = ultimate driving machine

It isn't even first year e46, you are fine. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with e46's PERIOD.

just make sure its a manual <_<

Sorry I couldn't be of more help
[snapback]258275[/snapback]
It is a manual but dam, it's so nice yet I'm real worried about being stuck with a pile of cash to dish out
Old 12-25-2004, 09:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by '89 635 csi@Dec 25 2004, 08:34 PM
Has it been certified?
[snapback]258282[/snapback]
No not certified, I'm buying it from a dealer who got the car at an auction...

What does certified mean (What are the advantages)?

Can I get a warranty from BMW, how much does that cost...
Old 12-25-2004, 09:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
What? No Autobahn?

Car: 2001 M5
Photos:
jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
Send a message via ICQ to jrhaile Send a message via AIM to jrhaile Send a message via MSN to jrhaile
mileage is nothing for a BMW but it is a lot as someone said in a 4-5 year span. Before you purchase, take it to the stealership have it checked out really good. e46s are fantastic cars more so then e36s in my opinion. e36's seemed to have a lot of little nagging problems but none of which I've seen with e46s (could be because they're newer)
Old 12-25-2004, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
///M Dream is an unknown quantity at this point
i know 80k miles isnt much for a beemer, but in 4-5 year period, that means it faced a lot of driving, just keep that in mind, also, carfax is bs most of the time, the damage is not even recorded so i wouldnt trust that too much, other than that, good luck
///M Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 09:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: Dinan Stg 1 M3
Photos:
Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond reputeSlvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Slvr e39
///m dream, that also means you can basically assume they were a lot of freeway miles. Freeway miles = not as bad for the car
Old 12-25-2004, 10:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
BlackMamba is an unknown quantity at this point
If you want a used car regardless of what it is there is going to be normal maintenance on it and yes you will have to fix some things once in a while. If you have money to buy the car and you want a "luxury" car you can't be scared of buying it and maintaining it. If all you want is a good reliable daily driver that won't hassle you to much buy a Honda. But don't be fickle with buying a used car it's ridiculous to think of the "What if's?". BMW's are wonderful car's I have had three (all used) and none have caused me huge grief. Yes, I have had to fix a couple things on them but it is definitely worth it for how great they drive and handle. If you want an "Ultimate Driving Machine" buy it but if you are to concerned about having to put money into it look for something else.
BlackMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 10:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
jefft325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Slvr e39@Dec 25 2004, 07:06 PM

Are you serious? I know too many people to count that have had problems with E46s, subrame problems with 99-00 323 & 328 coupes (car the poster is looking at) being one of the more serious problems.

My E46 has been in the shop once already this month and is going back in tomorrow morning to have more defective parts replaced.

I still love the car despite all the problems I've had with it
jefft325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 05:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by jefft325i+Dec 26 2004, 11:36 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jefft325i @ Dec 26 2004, 11:36 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Slvr e39@Dec 25 2004, 07:06 PM

Are you serious? I know too many people to count that have had problems with E46s, subrame problems with 99-00 323 & 328 coupes (car the poster is looking at) being one of the more serious problems.

My E46 has been in the shop once already this month and is going back in tomorrow morning to have more defective parts replaced.

[snapback]258699[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

is it really worth all the problems?

also can i buy a bmw extended warranty?
Old 12-27-2004, 07:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
jefft325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by djinferno+Dec 27 2004, 05:18 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(djinferno @ Dec 27 2004, 05:18 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by jefft325i@Dec 26 2004, 11:36 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Slvr e39
Quote:
@Dec 25 2004, 07:06 PM

[snapback]258699[/snapback]

is it really worth all the problems?

also can i buy a bmw extended warranty?
[snapback]258820[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Personally speaking, I think it is. Most people will probably agree with me, but I do know some that have had so many problems, they'd probably say 'no' it isn't worth it. I think they are the exception.

You have to get your expectations in order if your going to purchase one. You can't go into this thinking it will be as reliable as a Honda - it won't be in the long run. But at the same time, it's 10 times more fun to drive than a Hon-duh.

So yes, I think it's worth it. I love the car so much....it would have to break down several times a year for me to give up on it.

Yes, extended warranties can be purchased on certain cars. You'll need to buy it through the dealer however.
jefft325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 06:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
peterkulesza is an unknown quantity at this point
this last post is soooo true.

bmw is not as reliable as a toyota or a honda. not with the best maintenance, or praying over incense at night.

however: IT DRIVES SO MUCH BETTER that it is worth imho the minor annoynace of some breakdowns. and more $$$.

in addition to carfaxes etc: find a trusted mechanic that knows bmw. take the car there and spend some $300 for a thorough inspection if you intend to keep the car long term. in particular with this mileage have ALL the suspension parts checked for wear, the rubber bits tend to go about this mileage. check compresssion, check the head for signs fo prior work etc etc. the regular used car stuff, you can get screwed on a camry too.....
peterkulesza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
badpatten is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by djinferno+Dec 25 2004, 08:17 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(djinferno @ Dec 25 2004, 08:17 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-'89 635 csi@Dec 25 2004, 08:34 PM
Has it been certified?
[snapback]258282[/snapback]
No not certified, I'm buying it from a dealer who got the car at an auction...

What does certified mean (What are the advantages)?

Can I get a warranty from BMW, how much does that cost...
[snapback]258301[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Ok, first things first. Don't buy a car from a dealer who bought it from an auction. Here are the list of things that could of happen.

1). The car was repossed.
2). The car was turned into BMW but they wouldn't certify it (115 point inspection) because either it had too many miles on it or it had other issues that would of cost them too much to fix.
3). The dealer you are buying it from will only give you at the most a 30 day warranty and the work will be done by a mechanic that probably doesn't know BMW's well.
4). The work that was done to the car to get it ready to sell by the dealer was half azz - (they did just enough to get the car ready to sell. More than likely it will need new brakes soon.

If you go to the local BMW store you can purchase a 2000 model with less than 70k on the odometer and get a better warranty. Granted you will pay a little more for the car but if something goes wrong, I guarantee they will fix it asap. If a BMW dealer fails to satisfy you all you have to do is mention that you plan on filling out a customer satisfaction statement and they will jump right on the problem. BMW has a reputation to uphold.

I bought my BMW almost three months ago with 60k on it. It is now close to 70k, I have had to take it back to the dealer twice because of things they failed to do on it's inspection, but they covered it all and I wasn't without a car the whole time. I drive around all day long in my car, I have owned over 20 cars in my life time and this is the first BMW I have owned (2000 323). I don't think I could ever go back to driving anything else right now. I drove a Camry before I bought the BMW, because people told me they are great cars but I felt like I was driving in a boat. I spoke with several people who own BMW's before I made my decision and they all said the same thing, "I wanted to be comfortable driving around". That was my reason too, but the benefits of driving a BMW do not end there! One of the guys I know who is a sales manager at a local Toyota dealer just picked up a 2002 330i for the first time and he was an advid Toyota driver, you should of seen the smile on his face when I asked him how he liked his new ride. He bought his after he took it to get gas and a girl mentioned nice car to him. So go see the BMW dealer and pick one up!
badpatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)