BMW Werkz banner

HELP! Trunk/Luggage light stays on.

17K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Lord Vader 
#1 ·
Hello BMW fans! This is my first post so be gentle.

I just bought a 2004 BMW 325i and I'm having trouble with my trunk/luggage light. The indicator light on the dash stay's on indicating that the trunk is open. It's shut but it still says it's open. I can't open the trunk with the button on my key or the button inside the car near the bottom left side of the drivers seat. Also, when I manually open the trunk with my key, the lights inside the trunk near the bottom of trunk do not come on. They came on before so I know they worked. I checked the bulbs and there are fine. I checked the fuse box in the glove compartment but have no idea what fuse to check. The fuse guide in the fuse box gives no indication on what fuse is for the trunk lights or trunk in general. Any help with this would be appreciated and thanks in advance. :D

#2 ·
Welcome to Binmerwerkz mate.

The fuse box is actually in the engine bay on te driers side up near the windshield. Start their. In the trunk where the latch grabs it has a contact switch. Over time this contact switch wears out. When it does it can't tell if the trunk is open or closed sore light comes on. The trunk lights may have been on for so long because of the bulbs burned out.

Also checking the wiring loom going into the trunk. Over time it can fray and short circuit causing a bunch of weird problems

#3 ·
Thank you very very much! I will check this out tonight and keep you posted. If anyone else has any other help or advice I would appreciate it. I want to try a couple of things to fix it before I go and pay an arm and a leg at the dealer or shop.

#4 ·
Take a look at this:

RealOEM.com BMW E46 325i TRUNK LID/CLOSING SYSTEM

In the diagram I am referring to #13 and #15. Number 13 is te trunk lock actuator. It makes the lock catch into #15, the catch bracket. If the acutator isn't functioning properly it won't latch. Which would give you the dash light. The lock can still open manually in the event of a power issue. That's probably why you can open it manually but not with the remote.

#6 ·
You should be able to. Lock mechanisms are complicated so just make sure you take your time. Any questions just ask.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.