Help replacing stock headlights - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 07:51 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Holland, Mi
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
xxthatonegirlxx is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Help replacing stock headlights

I want to update the stock halogen headlights on my 3 series to the projector type. I've been looking at tons of different types and I want to make sure I get the correct ones. I've narrowed it down to either Khoalty, DDM Tuning, or JLeviSW.

The first question is when is comes to the HID Manufacturer what is the difference between Raptor 35w and DDM 35w if any? Next is 6000k bulb color the most popular? DDM specifies that the AEs come uninstalled and need to be "baked" what does this mean?

All suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated!
xxthatonegirlxx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Mr. Clean
 
BimmerE39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Danbury, Connecticut
Posts: 1,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthatonegirlxx View Post
I want to update the stock halogen headlights on my 3 series to the projector type. I've been looking at tons of different types and I want to make sure I get the correct ones. I've narrowed it down to either Khoalty, DDM Tuning, or JLeviSW.

The first question is when is comes to the HID Manufacturer what is the difference between Raptor 35w and DDM 35w if any? Next is 6000k bulb color the most popular? DDM specifies that the AEs come uninstalled and need to be "baked" what does this mean?

All suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated!
What is the year of your 3 series and is it a coupe or sedan?
BimmerE39 is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 10:19 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Holland, Mi
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
xxthatonegirlxx is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerE39 View Post
What is the year of your 3 series and is it a coupe or sedan?
05 sedan
xxthatonegirlxx is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Mr. Clean
 
BimmerE39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Danbury, Connecticut
Posts: 1,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Okay, be prepared to do a lot of reading.

Personally, the raptor and DDM kits are virtually the same and 6000K is the most popular HID color when upgrading. 6000K is basically pure white with a slight bluish hue to it. 4300K is OEM HID color and it is slightly more yellow than 6000K but also has great visibility. Anything above 6000K will actually cause your to lose visibility so stay anywhere between 4300K and 6000K.

35W and 55W versions are basically summarizing the power that the ballasts put out but the bulbs for each kit are exactly the same. 35 Watt HID kits will not have the same potential of light output that the 55watt kits would have. I ran a 35 watt HID system on my low beams for a very long time and I can assure you that they were very bright. I switched to 55 watt ballasts and then they just got very bright. Either way you can't go wrong.

DDM does not install the Angel Eyes from their factory but basically give you a kit. Their standard AE's are basically CCFL (cold cathode fluorescent lighting) and the rings need to be bakes in an oven to basically activate them. CCFL technology is ancient and no one really uses them anymore because they not only have cold start issues but also require to use inline power inverters to power them. I had CCFL's back in the day and they SUCKED.

I upgraded about a year and half ago to LED angel eyes and they are a huge improvement in terms of performance and aesthetics. In terms of Angel Eyes on the market for the E46 I am a huge fan of Umnitza's Predator Orion V2's. I have them installed on my car and they are incredibly bright whether it's the night or day.

Umnitza also sells a complete kit (DEPO P46 headlights, HID's, Angel Eyes (preinstalled if you want but installations is very easy), and a DDE harness for the angel eyes).

Click here to check out Umnitza's E46 headlight package

I know I wrote a lot and some of it is probably not the clearest since I am using acronyms so I'll make a list here below...

DDE - daytime demon eyes
AE - Angel Eyes
CCFL - Cold cathode fluorescent lighting

I hope this all helps.
BimmerE39 is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 11:02 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Holland, Mi
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
xxthatonegirlxx is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerE39 View Post
Okay, be prepared to do a lot of reading.

Personally, the raptor and DDM kits are virtually the same and 6000K is the most popular HID color when upgrading. 6000K is basically pure white with a slight bluish hue to it. 4300K is OEM HID color and it is slightly more yellow than 6000K but also has great visibility. Anything above 6000K will actually cause your to lose visibility so stay anywhere between 4300K and 6000K.

35W and 55W versions are basically summarizing the power that the ballasts put out but the bulbs for each kit are exactly the same. 35 Watt HID kits will not have the same potential of light output that the 55watt kits would have. I ran a 35 watt HID system on my low beams for a very long time and I can assure you that they were very bright. I switched to 55 watt ballasts and then they just got very bright. Either way you can't go wrong.

DDM does not install the Angel Eyes from their factory but basically give you a kit. Their standard AE's are basically CCFL (cold cathode fluorescent lighting) and the rings need to be bakes in an oven to basically activate them. CCFL technology is ancient and no one really uses them anymore because they not only have cold start issues but also require to use inline power inverters to power them. I had CCFL's back in the day and they SUCKED.

I upgraded about a year and half ago to LED angel eyes and they are a huge improvement in terms of performance and aesthetics. In terms of Angel Eyes on the market for the E46 I am a huge fan of Umnitza's Predator Orion V2's. I have them installed on my car and they are incredibly bright whether it's the night or day.

Umnitza also sells a complete kit (DEPO P46 headlights, HID's, Angel Eyes (preinstalled if you want but installations is very easy), and a DDE harness for the angel eyes).

Click here to check out Umnitza's E46 headlight package

I know I wrote a lot and some of it is probably not the clearest since I am using acronyms so I'll make a list here below...

DDE - daytime demon eyes
AE - Angel Eyes
CCFL - Cold cathode fluorescent lighting

I hope this all helps.
This is soooo great! Thanks so much for taking the time to put it together! Really clears things up and makes everything easier to understand.

Thanks again
xxthatonegirlxx is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Mr. Clean
 
BimmerE39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Danbury, Connecticut
Posts: 1,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthatonegirlxx View Post
This is soooo great! Thanks so much for taking the time to put it together! Really clears things up and makes everything easier to understand.

Thanks again
No problem. Just passing on some of my knowledge. I remember when I was doing all of this stuff years ago and no one would give me any answers. I made mistakes the first time through which I know could have been avoided if someone had taken the time to explain things. Best of luck and if you have any more questions just ask away.
BimmerE39 is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
umnitza is an unknown quantity at this point
umnitza is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Mr. Clean
 
BimmerE39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Danbury, Connecticut
Posts: 1,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
She already purchased the stuff from you guys a few weeks ago. Is it possible for me to get a commission for a sale?

BimmerE39 is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 03:35 PM
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
umnitza is an unknown quantity at this point
that can be arranged.
umnitza is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
replacing stock headunit ksee777 Audio and Electronics 7 05-05-2006 10:17 PM
Replacing Stock Gauges With New Ones caLVin 3-Series (E36) 7 10-08-2004 08:31 AM
Replacing Stock Amplifier infared21 Audio and Electronics 9 03-05-2004 12:06 AM
Stock headlights BMWg84 Classifieds Sell & Buy 5 01-27-2004 01:57 AM
Stock headlights H35 3-Series (E36) 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome