BMW Werkz banner

Help! only 20MPG on e46 318

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  nukeduster 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I have an e46 318 manual on a 99 plate, only done 60k, i've had it regulary serviced and i've even changed\replaced the following in last six months Fuel filter, mass airflow sensor , cleaned the fuel injectors etc etc, However I am still only averaging(mainly town driving) 20MPG, i'm sure this is not normal. does anyone else have a similar problem and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
I'm sure this car does not an obc, i've done the calculations manually,i filled up until I heard the click and drove for 247 miles and filled up again putting in 56litres , I calculted this as 20mpg, I was hoping for at least 25-27 around town, or is this just too optimistic from me :)

#4 ·
ily said:
I'm sure this car does not an obc, i've done the calculations manually,i filled up until I heard the click and drove for 247 miles and filled up again putting in 56litres , I calculted this as 20mpg, I was hoping for at least 25-27 around town, or is this just too optimistic from me :)
I think that is too optimistic for in town driving. Also using premium gas will get you better mileage and a smoother running engine. How come you changed the AFS at only 60K miles? Was it faulting or were you just trying to get better mileage?

#5 ·
I replaced it cos it was faulty, engine felt like it was misfiring and would not pick up speed, took it in for a diag and that's what they found as the problem.

As for the mpg I only ask as previously I had a 1200cc punto before this and as you can imagine I used to get 45+ combined, so to get only 20 gets a little getting used to, even on the combined I only manage at best 30 and i'm sure the stated figures are about 35.

But if everyone else is getting about the same then I suppose I don't need to worry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.