Help! Need advice on 325i future purchase. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 12:15 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gotaigo is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Help! Need advice on 325i future purchase.

Hi all,

I'm contemplating and very close to possibly purchasing my first Bimmer.
A 03 325i in white. It has 77K and seems to be in very good to excellent condition. Having never owned a Bimmer, I've always admired this particular body style and it's in my price range. $159998. Is this a good price? Also, although they are providing 30 days protection, should I get an extended warranty and if so, for how many years?

The other major question I have is that considering I never owned a Bimmer, can anyone tell me a ball park figure as to the expense for maintenance and repairs for this car? General maintenance things that would be done to the vehicle and how much it would cost and if there were some issues, what that issue would be likely and how much I can expect that the shop would charge me (please provide examples.) I'd like to know what I'm getting myself in to. I've pretty much only owned Honda Civics etc. and I can only image how much more it's going to cost me,etc. BTW, I did call a local BMW dealership and the lady told me that to do a regular oil change, it would cost $120 with regular oil and $170 for synthetic which she believes this particular vehicle would have used. It would be very helpful to know what I can expect to dish out in expenses before I take the plunge; Would making the car payments be my least of money worries? One more thing, I am under the bias that most dealers rape people when it comes to maintenance/repairs, etc. Where do most people take their Bimmers for maintenance/repairs? Ok, I lied, one more question: I noticed that my particular Bimmer doesn't have the "premier package"; what is that? I did notice that when I was comparing against other Bimmers of the same model, mine didn't have what looked like electrically controlled seat adjustments. It was a piece of plastic manually adjustable next to the seat. What else would I be missing from other cars that have this premiere package? Heated seats? I also noticed a Bimmer with a "Cold weather package"; does that mean mine isn't equipped with that feature? Thanks, all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 07:46 AM
n00b

6speedchick is on a distinguished road
you might consider getting a newer one, there are some with CPO that will cover you in case, I bought a 06 with 48K and over 3 years and 52K left for 25K, you might find a happy medium on 4 other 3 series I have own, really not that much to worry about
#3 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 03:01 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hi 6speed,

Thanks for your reply. What's a CPO? Some sort of extended warranty? Sorry, anything newer would be out of my price range. Can you tell me what sort of maintenance and time frame you've done on your past bimmers and the costs? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speedchick View Post
you might consider getting a newer one, there are some with CPO that will cover you in case, I bought a 06 with 48K and over 3 years and 52K left for 25K, you might find a happy medium on 4 other 3 series I have own, really not that much to worry about
#4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 03:51 PM
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotaigo View Post
Hi 6speed,

Thanks for your reply. What's a CPO? Some sort of extended warranty? Sorry, anything newer would be out of my price range. Can you tell me what sort of maintenance and time frame you've done on your past bimmers and the costs? Thanks!
Most of mine were just oil changes and brakes, 800 for brakes and rotors, if you get a good one you will love it, if its bad, the money is crazy unless you can do it yourself
#5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 03:52 PM
n00b

CPO is a great warranty mine has 3 more years and 52K left
Find a good euro shop and everything will cost much less
#6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 11:11 AM
n00b

JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road
I would go with a CPO. I just got a '06 325i CPO with over 3 years or 63k left on the warranty and I have another year left of all maintenance being covered.

I paid 25k with 3.9% for 60months.
#7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 03:39 PM
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShmoe View Post
I would go with a CPO. I just got a '06 325i CPO with over 3 years or 63k left on the warranty and I have another year left of all maintenance being covered.

I paid 25k with 3.9% for 60months.
I have about the same with navi, sat, real leather , back shades for 25K was able to pay it in full
#8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 03:58 PM
n00b

JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speedchick View Post
I have about the same with navi, sat, real leather , back shades for 25K was able to pay it in full
Mine is sparkling metallic/black interior/premium package/no winter package/no navi. I honestly love this car.

I have never had a luxury car, I had a gas guzzling truck before this. Looks like you might have gotten a better deal than me, but I reasearched in my area and i twas about right...and I HATE bargaining at the dealership...I did it all over email walked in and got it, then drove off.
#9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 04:23 PM
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShmoe View Post
Mine is sparkling metallic/black interior/premium package/no winter package/no navi. I honestly love this car.

I have never had a luxury car, I had a gas guzzling truck before this. Looks like you might have gotten a better deal than me, but I reasearched in my area and i twas about right...and I HATE bargaining at the dealership...I did it all over email walked in and got it, then drove off.
I only bought mine because I had a 3month old mini cooper which i paid 23.5 K for from thier sister dealer, they gave me 22K as a trade in so was really happy, the 325 was listed at 26,990 and was just what I wanted white, NO wood and navi, found it and drove the 100 miles to get it and am very happy just bought tips today and looks great... I also had the console box replace free under warranty, because it ad a little wear, mine is truley mint, and a blast to drive miss the 42 MPG that my mini gives me but 24MPG is not bad
#10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 05:51 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
^^^ Got some pics coming?

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 06:00 PM
n00b

#12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 06:01 PM
n00b

Check out car domain under cybergypsy, you will see a few of the 63 so far
#13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 06:50 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Cool! Thanks!

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 10:41 AM
n00b

325i@19 is on a distinguished road
Hi, I bought my 03 325i in may and it had 79k on it, almost the same as the one you are looking at. Mine has the power heated seats, the cold weather package (which is pretty much just a ski bag) and i paid $13700 out the door, I think the $16 they are asking for yours is a little steep, you could probably find a better price than that. As for the oil change thing, i take mine to victory lane and its $90 for a full synthetic oil change. The only other problem i've run into is a slow drivers side window. It is a great car and i'm sure you can find one in your price range.
#15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 10:57 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
35i@19,

Thanks for the info. What City did you buy the bimmer from? I'm in the Washington D.C./Northern VA region. This price is from CarMax. It looks like this car did not come with any packages. Anyway, I wouldn't buy any used cars from anyone else except Carmax as it's their business model only to sell solid cars and I don't want to risk it anywhere else; private person or some stanky used car dealer. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325i@19 View Post
Hi, I bought my 03 325i in may and it had 79k on it, almost the same as the one you are looking at. Mine has the power heated seats, the cold weather package (which is pretty much just a ski bag) and i paid $13700 out the door, I think the $16 they are asking for yours is a little steep, you could probably find a better price than that. As for the oil change thing, i take mine to victory lane and its $90 for a full synthetic oil change. The only other problem i've run into is a slow drivers side window. It is a great car and i'm sure you can find one in your price range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)