Help me pick - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E46, E90) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1999 to Current. Models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318Ci, BMW 320i, BMW 323i, BMW 325i, BMW 330i, BMW 328 Ci, BMW 328i, BMW 325i/xi, BMW 330Ci, BMW 320d, BMW 330d, BMW 335d.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2007, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
tonyletigre is on a distinguished road
Help me pick

I am thinking of buying a used 3 series. My current option is a '00 323i from a unauthorized dealer with 93g miles and a 330i from a private seller with 105g miles. I haven't really checked them out besides the pictures... but they both have similiar options...

I'm thinking maybe the 323i doesn't have HID while the 330i has HID...

Besides performance wise, i'm looking more for reliability.

While the 323i is about $13g, the 330i is $15g... I'm thinking I can prob talk both of them down to about lets say 11g, considering both of them are price rather high.

Now, which one is a better deal? considering relaibility as most important (and hypothetically that they both run great)
tonyletigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2007, 10:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
I am Teh Edumacator.

Car: 1999 Dinan 540i/6, 1995 Dinan 749
Photos:
Teh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
330, no question.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Teh Prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
teh Canuck....eh

Car: '86 E30, baby! '05 Legacy 2.5GT Ltd
Photos:
PhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3UOND
330, no question.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Hootie is on a distinguished road
It might come down to your personal preference on looks. You didn't mention the year for the 330. Was it after they gave the 3 a face lift? I've had great reliability out of my '00. If both cars have been maintained, I can't imagine you having significant issues with either. Clearly though, you'll have better performance out of the 330.
Hootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
tonyletigre is on a distinguished road
ohh yea the 330 is '01...

I just want to keep it out of the shop when I get one. Do they usually have any issues as far as maintaince goes?

Will either of them keep running up to 200g miles?
tonyletigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
I am Teh Edumacator.

Car: 1999 Dinan 540i/6, 1995 Dinan 749
Photos:
Teh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyletigre
ohh yea the 330 is '01...

I just want to keep it out of the shop when I get one. Do they usually have any issues as far as maintaince goes?

Will either of them keep running up to 200g miles?
Both of them will easily pass 200K if properly maintained. In fact I'd say they'll easily pass 300K.

BMW's are preventive-maintenance oriented. If you treat them well, changing the oil and fluids regularly, then they will treat you well too. If you don't treat them well, then you'll have a very expensive ownership experience.

Obviously, things like brakes, shock mounts, shocks, control arms, and other things do wear out in these cars and we can't say from here whether you will need to replace them in the lifetime of your ownership of the vehicle. Once you start driving it around, I can guarantee you that you'll love the car.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Teh Prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
330, especially for the asking prices you're facing. I am driving a 1996 328i and have 202,000 miles on the odo and have absolutely no powertrain concerns.

Good luck in your quest
Old 02-27-2007, 11:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
teh Canuck....eh

Car: '86 E30, baby! '05 Legacy 2.5GT Ltd
Photos:
PhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz
330, especially for the asking prices you're facing. I am driving a 1996 328i and have 202,000 miles on the odo and have absolutely no powertrain concerns.

...except for those sabotaged bolts in your...
Old 02-27-2007, 03:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz

Good luck in your quest
run-ons ftl

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E46, E90)